News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Wimbledon 2024

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/10/24 at 2:17pm

First, I don't know why the "US Open" thread disappeared so I will create "Wimbledon" thread. Disappointing QF day for a couple of reasons. Djokovic advances to SF without playing when deMinaur withdrew due to injury from previous match. Unfortunately another Grand Slam tournament will go by without American male winning, last one was Andy Roddick in 2003. Taylor Fritz once again disappoints in a big match losing in 5 sets. Fritz not only won the 1rst set but was up a break in the 2nd which he proceeded to lose in tiebreaker. On a break point in 2nd set, Fritz thought it was good idea to try between the leg shot when he has another option. Wimbledon once again showed American men can not step up their game and beat more than one quality opponent in Grand Slam tournament. I fully expect Djokovic to easily move into the final. The Alcaraz-Medvedev SF could be interesting.

On the women's side, Rybakina advances to SF and will be the clear favorite due to already being a Wimbledon champion.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#2Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/11/24 at 8:47pm

Rybakina is out. What an unexpected Wimbledon.  I’m pulling for djokovic to win 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#3Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/11/24 at 11:15pm

"Rybakina is out. What an unexpected Wimbledon. I’m pulling for djokovic to win "

Both ladies SF matches were good ones, I am rooting for Paolini in the final

Djokovic is definitely the GOAT but just dislike him personally, he can be very annoying at times. I really thought him calling out the Wimbledon crowd after his SF match was very petty. People pay their money, they can boo or cheer anybody they want as long as it is not vulgar.  So put me in the camp of anybody but Novak and will just root for high quality tennis. BTW - really like Jelena Djokovic, very pretty and has a good fashion style. She is also classy and not like some of those American player's (Fritz, Paul) GF's.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#4Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/12/24 at 10:18am

Medvedev takes first set in tiebreaker over Alcaraz.

Broadway Flash
#5Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/12/24 at 11:17am

Now I really want Novak to win cause I dislike Alcaraz lol

Updated On: 7/12/24 at 11:17 AM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#6Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/12/24 at 1:58pm

Booing is not okay. The audience paid money to watch professional tennis - not to take part in a children’s pantomime.

Respect should be shown.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#7Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/12/24 at 6:18pm

"Booing is not okay. The audience paid money to watch professional tennis - not to take part in a children’s pantomime. Respect should be shown."

I will try to explain the situation properly. Djokovic was playing a guy from the Netherlands with last name of Rune. A few fans from his country started chanting "RUUUNE" in a long drawn out way. Djokovic said he took it as being booed, other people and media said they were just chanting their support of their favorite player. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#8Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/12/24 at 6:19pm

"Now I really want Novak to win cause I dislike Alcaraz lol"

Ok. Any particular reason for your dislike of Alcaraz?

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#9Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/12/24 at 8:21pm

Rooting for Paolini tomorrow. I love her style and personality. 

Broadway Flash
#10Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/13/24 at 10:25am

I was against him ever since he beat Tiafoe at the US Open.  I like Sinner and Medvedev much more both as players and as people

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#11Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/13/24 at 11:06am

Krejcikova for the upset and the championship!

Oh look, a bibu!

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#12Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/13/24 at 1:06pm

"I was against him ever since he beat Tiafoe at the US Open. I like Sinner and Medvedev much more both as players and as people"

Gotcha.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#13Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/13/24 at 1:11pm

"Krejcikova for the upset and the championship!"

It was enjoyable final even though I was rooting for Paolini. The ranking will say it is an upset but the truth is Krejcikova is a much more accomplished player. She had already won the French Open (2021) and has won quite a few Grand Slam doubles titles. She has had a bunch of injury issues which have caused her ranking to not be as good as you would expect from a former Grand Slam champion. Congrats to her on a well played match and hanging in there serving for the title.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#14Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/14/24 at 11:56am

Alcaraz was awesome, some incredible shot making. Djokovic was gracious in defeat. Great seeing Kate Middleton being able to attend match and hand out the trophies.

Broadway Flash
#15Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/14/24 at 12:05pm

Yeah I think pretty much every game, the person I wanted to win lost.  Second Wimbledon for Alcaraz

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#16Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/14/24 at 1:55pm

Alcaraz was on fire and I was loving every moment of it. Congrats to him. Great match.

Just give the world Love.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#17Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/14/24 at 3:52pm

‘Los has never lost a major final match in his career. I believe he has accomplished more than Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic at his age. 

Remarkable. 

Oh look, a bibu!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#18Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/14/24 at 4:00pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "‘Los has never lost a major final match in his career. I believe he has accomplished morethan Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic at his age.

Remarkable.
"

And he is very humble about it. Loved his remarks at the winners board during the interview after the match. 

Just give the world Love.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#19Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 7/19/24 at 3:45pm

Beginning July 23 on PBS in So Cal, there will be a documentary:  "Gods of Tennis".  There are two episodes.  The first features Billie Jean King and Arthur Ashe.  The second, Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe.  Both, I think, profile their Wimbledon matches.

Not sure where else these shows can be seen.

Non sibi sed patriae

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#20Wimbledon 2024
Posted: 8/18/24 at 9:41am

"Beginning July 23 on PBS in So Cal, there will be a documentary: "Gods of Tennis". There are two episodes. The first features Billie Jean King and Arthur Ashe. The second, Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe. Both, I think, profile their Wimbledon matches."

Those episodes would be interesting to watch. In a few years, they should add two more episodes. One would feature Martina Navratilova, Serena Williams and Steffi Graf. The other one would feature Pete Sampras, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic. Since it profiles Wimbledon matches adding these episodes makes sense since all of them are at the top of most Wimbledon singles titles won.

Videos