News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 14

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3252007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 1:04am

Haha did you read this thread at all?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#3262007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 1:09am

LaCage, until you can spell EbersolE's name correctly, I just can't take you seriously.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3272007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 1:14am

MTVMANN, look for the LoveMusik thread a few of threads down. Donna Murphy will be playing Lotte Lenya.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

munkustrap178
#3282007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 1:14am

And Chenoweth, not Chenowith.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#3292007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 1:21am

Thanks ray!

And Munk, I only read about 1 page and a half of the thread, so it didn't come up.

TT
#3302007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 1:42am

If Daphne Rubin-Vega is nominated I may just hurl all over the CD.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#3312007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 1:45am

Assuming that one is made in the first place......

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#3322007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:52am

Ebersole IS "that" brilliant. Unless Audra does something revolutionary (the role of Lizzie Curry doesn't lend itself to anything new) and Monk does something outside of a strong comedic performance, Ebersole has STILL got it in the bag.

I'm so glad someone said that! She really was. In my mind, no one else could have played that role any better than the divine Ms. E.
Also-Someone in the business with whom I've been in touch said they thought Monk would be featured. IMHO-Both Ebersole and Wilson deserve to win. (I don't know if they will both win-being from the same show may not help them out here. The Tony voters may want to spread the wins out across shows. Ebersole's performance was phenomenal and I predict she'll win. Wilson should win-but those who should sometimes don't.)
I hope both ladies win, but to echo Munkustrap-Ebersole is THAT GOOD. She's got the award as long as the show stays open. She's playing 2 roles and has only missed 3 shows in 1 1/2 years (B'way and Off-B'way.)a track record to be proud of.
Best Featured is harder to call, I agree. (Wilson deserves it, but Ebersole is pretty much guaranteed to win in her category, so it may be very hard.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#3332007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 7:37am

I don't think Ebersole is a lock at all. She was excellent in GG; however, she's faced with stiff competition from Donna Murphy, whose role as Lenya will be just as demanding acting-wise as Ebersole's. I think it really depends how Lovemusik is received...GG got lukewarm reviews and may very well be closed by Tony time. If Lovemusik lives up to the hype that I'm sure will surround it once performances begin, then I think Murphy stands a real shot.

As for MacDonald and Chenoweth, they are both outstanding performers, but neither stands a shot at winning. Chenoweth's role is not as demanding in the acting department as Ebersole's and Murphy's, and MacDonald has 4 Tonys already.

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#3342007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 9:01am

And Murphy has two.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#3352007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 9:06am

Ebersole also already has a Tony. I don't think Murphy's 2 Tonys will throw her completely out of the running, especially if she (and Lovemusik) get stellar reviews, which is entirely possible considering the creative team behind it.

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#3362007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 9:09am

I was just pointing it out. Personally, I don't really care who wins - it seems there will be a very healthy competition in this category this year and that's the exciting part.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#3372007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 9:13am

It'd be so LOL if Ebersole weren't even nominated.

It won't happen.

But man would I LMAO if it did.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#3382007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 9:53am

Donna Murphy is a goddess. I don't really want Kristin Chenoweth to be nominated because I've heard that in THE APPLE TREE its just her being her funny self. It seems she is cutesy and funny with everything she does.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3392007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 10:33am

Ebersole is not the first person to play two roles in the same show - not even the only in this category this year - and one of those is one that is laid out for her on film - not being created off of a page. Yes, she's wonderful, but some of these arguments as to why she will definitely win at this point - when we've yet to see McDonald, Monk and Murphy - are a little over the top.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#3402007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 10:46am

McDonald, Monk and Murphy - sounds like a law firm: "McDonald, Monk and Murphy, how can I bill you?"

Seriously, though, I agree with Rath here - it is way too early to be making these predictions. There are many variables and several new shows coming in with stellar names atached. As I said before, the exciting thing here is that there are going to be so many choices this year, and it will be a real competition for once. In almost EVERY category, not just Leading Actress in a Musical.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#3412007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 12:40pm

Grey Gardens did not get lukewarm reviews. And Grey Gardens has an absolutely 0% chance of closing before the Tonys.

#3422007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 2:07pm

It wasn't lukewarm.

Just okay.

My picks, since D' Amboise is featured now and Monk may:

Christine Ebersole
Donna Murphy
Audra McDonald
Kristin Chenoweth
Either Lea Michele or Laura Bell Bundy (possibly Ashley Brown)

For me, it depends on how Legally Blonde and LoveMusik are recieved.

For featured actress:
Rebecca Luker
Celia Keenan-Bolger
Orfeh?
Linda Baghold?
Mary Louise-Wilson

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#3432007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 2:14pm

just ok my ass. But you think what you want.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3442007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 2:20pm

I hope Barbara Walsh gets nominated for Best Featured Actress. People are saying she has completely revolutionized her portrayal of Joanne. I only saw the first preview, so I can't wait to revisit the show, and see her improved Joanne.

munkustrap178
#3452007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 2:30pm

GREY GARDENS got lukewarm reviews? HAHA. Okay.

GREY GARDENS made the following lists:

-Ben Brantley's 10 Best Broadway shows of the year
-David Cote's 10 Best Shows of the year
-Adam Feldman's 10 Best shows of the year
-The Newark Star Ledger's 10 best shows of the year
-Entertainment Weekly's 10 best shows of the year list (it got the # 2 spot)
-Time Magazine's 10 best shows of the year list (it got the #1 spot)
-Linda Winer's 10 best shows of the year list (it got the #4 spot)

And if we're talking reviews, here are the verdicts, according to Variety:

Out of 18 reviews:

13 pro
1 con
4 mixed

So get your heads out of your ass.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3462007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 2:31pm

Monk will no doubt be nominated too. I can't see a younger star like Michele or Bundy taking that slot from any of the 5 seasoned actresses.

munkustrap178
#3472007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 2:32pm

No way. It's all wishful thinking at this point.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3482007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 2:38pm

With the backlash against High Fidelity, Blonde is going to have to be pretty smashing to get critical praise.

munkustrap178
#3492007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 2:40pm

LEGALLY BLONDE's biggest enemy isn't HIGH FIDELITY, it's the Palace Theatre. It's too big, and I think the producers were stupid to put it there. They should have snagged the Atkinson after MOON and let GREASE have the Palace. It would have helped them out considerably.

Videos