News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 13

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#300re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 1/28/07 at 12:30pm

Monk is definitely a lead in Curtains. They would have a real tough time submitting her for Featured.

She has as much if not MORE stage time (scenes and songs) than any performer in the show, including David Hyde Pierce.
And I would almost guarantee Monk will be nominated for Curtains. She's outstanding.

Historically, Rath is right, though... I know Audra was billed above the title in Ragtime, yet won the Featured Tony. But she's gone from Act II, except for one small scene.

This is not the case with Monk. Much of the show centers around her.

EDIT: The way it works is a little different than the Oscars. Rath is right in that she will be submitted to the nominating committee who will "suggest" that she be nominated as Featured (let's just say). But it's up to the committee, not the producers, as to what category she will be considered for. They can always reject the submission and say, "No, she's a lead."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/28/07 at 12:30 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#301re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 1/28/07 at 12:35pm

Twelvy, you've seen the show and I have not - however, I do know that in the past, producers have been able to get around a lot of things with the Tony committee - the committee will okay just about any petition. It wouldn't be difficult for them to have her in Featured if they wanted. Plus, I have read here from folks who saw it in LA that many didn't consider her role to be leading, any more than Ziemba. I can't wait to see and judge for myself!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#302re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 1/28/07 at 12:41pm

I'm going to guess that they won't want Monk and Ziemba competing against each other.

Just like Mazzie and McDonald in Ragtime, Foster and Leavel in Drowsy Chaperone, Clark and O'Hara in Piazza... or even Beyonce and Jennifer in the Dreamgirls movie and Zellweger and Zeta-Jones in Chicago... not that any of that paid off the way they'd hoped with two award wins, but at least the producers tried to spread the wealth within the production and not have their own performers competing against each other.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/28/07 at 12:41 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#303re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 1/28/07 at 12:43pm

Unless they want to guarantee a win - the Leading category is formidable this year - if you have both Monk and Ziemba in Featured, the likelihood is that one of them will walk away with a statuette.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#304re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 1/28/07 at 12:45pm

Ah, thanks, b12b.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#305re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 1/28/07 at 1:53pm

i seriously think if lea michele isn't nominated, there is an issue. her performance is IMO probably one of the most physically and emotionally taxing roles currently on broadway. she really needs to be recognized for that, but i wish all the leading ladies the best of luck! =)

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#306re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 1/28/07 at 2:23pm

my formal prediction of the 5 nominees (well 6 but the 2 denoted with a * are my toss up)

Kristin Chenoweth, THE APPLE TREE
Christine Ebersole, GREY GARDENS
Charlotte D'Amboise, A CHORUS LINE*
Laura Bell Bundy, LEGALLY BLONDE*
Debra Monk, CURTAINS
Audra McDonald, 110 IN THE SHADE

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#307re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 1/28/07 at 2:30pm

For some reason I really do see LBB get a nomination. all the bway reviews have said she is doing a really good job. Elle has to carry the show...so I feel like she truly deserves one.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

#3082007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 2:37pm

I think if Monk is considered featured, Curtains will probably win that catergory. My nods for lead actess:

Christine Ebersole, Grey Gardens
Audra McDonald, 110 In The Shade
Kristin Chenoweth, The Apple Tree
Laura Bell Bundy, Legally Blonde
Charlotte D' Amboise, A Chorus Line
OR
Ashley Brown, Mary Poppins

Possible spoilers are Lea Michele and Stephanie Block

For featured actress:

Celia Keenan-Bolger, Les Miserables
Debra Monk, Curtains
Karen Ziemba, Curtains
Rebecca Luker, Mary Poppins
Mary Louise Wilson, Grey Gardens

For lead actor:

David Hyde Pierce, Curtains
Alexander Gemignani, Les Miserables
Gavin Lee, Mary Poppins
Raul Esparza, Company
Jonathan Groff, Spring Awakening

For Supporting Actor:

Aaron Lazar, Les Miserbles
(I can't think of any more. He'll win.)

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#3092007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 3:19pm

There are quite a few Supporting Actor in a Musical possible nominees...

Edward Hibbert, Curtains
John Gallagher Jr., Spring Awakening
John McMartin, Grey Gardens
Marc Kudisch, Apple Tree
John Cullum, 110 in the Shade

and perhaps some Legally Blonde or Pirate Queen cast members, but I don't know who the standouts are in those shows.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#3102007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 4:06pm

I don't think Charlotte D'Amboise or Ashley Brown have a chance at a nod.You can't forget Donna Murphy to the leading actress category.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#3112007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 4:07pm

My picks for Lead Actress in a Musical at this point:

Kristin Chenoweth, "The Apple Tree"
Christine Ebersole, "Grey Gardens"
Audra McDonald, "110 in the Shade"
Debra Monk, "Curtains"
Donna Murphy, "LoveMusik"

The darkhorses are Laura Bell Bundy for "Legally Blonde" and Lea Michelle for "Spring Awakening."

I expect "The Pirate Queen" to be so heavily trashed that Stephanie J Block will be left out in the cold, as will Ashley Brown for "Mary Poppins" (although I see that show fairing quite well.)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#3122007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 4:08pm

I want Monk to be featured so Laura or Lea could be nominated. If Monk was in featured she could possibly win.
Updated On: 1/28/07 at 04:08 PM

MargoChanning
#3132007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 4:10pm

I still think Mary Louise Wilson is the one to beat in the Featured category.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3142007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 4:14pm

You're forgetting a very important qualification here, Margo - Fred Ebb is dead.

MargoChanning
#3152007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 4:21pm

True, but I don't see how that effects the Featured Actress race. Any pro-Ebb sentiment I assume will result in his receiving a posthumous award (along with his longtime partner John Kander) in the Best Score category. I doubt the voters will see a vote for Monk or Ziemba as a vote for Ebb.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3162007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 4:24pm

I agree to a point - it will just depend on how CURTAINS does in the other categories.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3172007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:01pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that as per the latest Tony Committee decisions every actor in A Chorus Line would be considered in the featured category which means D'Amboisse will not be part of the leading actress competition.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 1/28/07 at 11:01 PM

MargoChanning
#3182007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:05pm

True. All the ACL actors are Featured.

stagegrrrl
#3192007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:09pm

does it even matter? christine is a lock kids.

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#3202007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:59pm

I'm not buying into the Christine is a lock philosophy - there is still TONS of time left and with Debra Monk, Audra MacDonald, and Donna Murphy STILL waiting to go on - I smell some pretty hard competition and I just dont think Ebersol's performance here is OMG THAT BRILLIANT...Good, very good yes...but there is room and definat chance, IMHO, to hand the award to another very deserving actress.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3212007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 12:23am

Ebersole IS "that" brilliant. Unless Audra does something revolutionary (the role of Lizzie Curry doesn't lend itself to anything new) and Monk does something outside of a strong comedic performance, Ebersole has STILL got it in the bag.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

iluvtheatertrash
#3222007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 12:32am

Does no one think Barbara Walsh is a contender for featured?

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3232007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 12:39am

I think she's a contendor for a nominee...but I didn't like her performance and I found her quite forgettable.

I found Mary Louise Wilson to be BRILLIANT. She deserves to win, at this point - and she's never won before.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#3242007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 1/29/07 at 1:02am

Wasn't there talk about Donna Murphy being nominated for something?

Videos