News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

7:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????

7:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#17:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/1/10 at 10:36pm

Why on Earth does the curtain go up on all of Papermill's shows, including Saturday nights, at 7 PM? I totally understand starting earlier on a weeknight...I like that. But on a Saturday night, why start so early? What if people want to go out and have dinner before the show?

Is this so their mostly older (read: 65+) audience can be home and tucked into bed by 10 PM?

willep
#27:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/1/10 at 10:57pm

Are people not able to eat dinner before 7?

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#27:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/1/10 at 11:02pm

Maybe so audiences get home in time for SNL?

(in all seriousness, maybe because a lot of people take the train there, and it's easier to get home)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#37:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/1/10 at 11:03pm

Who wants to sit down for a nice leisurely dinner at 5:00?

Why can't one performance a week start at the traditional time?

ETA...as a longtime attendee of Papermill shows, I can assure you the vast majority of their audience isn't arriving by train. They're driving in. Updated On: 10/1/10 at 11:03 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#47:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/1/10 at 11:05pm

I imagine it's because of the train, the family/senior citizen crowd and maybe the fact that a lot of people wouldn't want to be driving home that late.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Gothampc
#57:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/1/10 at 11:09pm

It's to get the Manhattanites back into Manhattan before the gate closes.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

vodkastinger Profile Photo
vodkastinger
#67:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/2/10 at 1:35am

"Who wants to sit down for a nice leisurely dinner at 5:00?"

The general demo of the subscribers at Paper Mill Playhouse.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#77:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/2/10 at 2:02am

As an actor, I love an earlier curtain because I can get home before midnight.

As an audience member I eat my dinner at 5 anyway so I don't see the problem.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#87:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/2/10 at 5:43am

And you can beat the crowds by needing to dine earlier. And you can still go out AFTERWARDS if you so choose.

I don't really see a problem except for expectations. (But if you've been going to the Papermill for years, why is it a big deal now?)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#97:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/2/10 at 8:48am

I'm going to take a guess that Papermill thinks Hairspray is a family show, so that's why. I know, they don't do that on Broadway, but we are talking about 2 different things now.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

kooky
#107:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/2/10 at 9:18am

have drinkies & some picking food first .... then dinner after the show.... let all the people who have driven far or taken a train .... get on their way home! Be flexible!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#117:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/2/10 at 10:54am

But if you've been going to the Papermill for years, why is it a big deal now?

This is the first season that all of their evening performances began at 7. In years past, Friday and Saturdays started at 8.

I'm going to take a guess that Papermill thinks Hairspray is a family show, so that's why.

Every production of this season begins at 7, not 8. It isn't just Hairspray.

musicalsFan
#127:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/2/10 at 1:15pm

Besides the new start times for new evening performances, they have apparently disassociated themselves from NJArtstix.org which offerered 1/2 tickets a day in advance.

I won't be seeing Hairpsray.

prayerforaduck Profile Photo
prayerforaduck
#137:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/3/10 at 9:52pm

5. When are your performances?

Performances are Wednesday through Sunday. Please check your tickets.

Hairspray, Les Miserables
Wednesday/Friday: 7:00pm
Thursday/Saturday/Sunday: 1:30pm & 7:00pm

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Curtains
Wednesday: 7:30pm
Thursday: 1:30pm & 7:30pm
Friday: 8:00pm
Saturday: 1:30pm & 8:00pm
Sunday: 1:30pm & 7:00pm

http://papermill.org/faqs/show-a-ticket-questions.html

I thought I knew but now I know that rose trees never grow in New York City

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#147:00 PM curtain on a Saturday night...what????
Posted: 10/3/10 at 9:56pm

Ah....I see. You hadn't mentioned this was a change to their schedule of years past. (or at least I didn't see that you had.)

(You do know that I adore you, right AdamGreer?)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos