News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

9 to 5 Tour

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#2009 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/28/10 at 3:25pm

Any more production photos?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

goodoneinlou2
#2019 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/30/10 at 9:24am

Here's the link to the review from Atlanta... including production photos and a clip of Diana performing Doralee's "Cowgirls Revenge."

http://blogs.ajc.com/american-idol-blog/2010/09/29/diana-degarmo-plays-dolly-partons-character-in-9-to-5-at-fox-theatre/

I can't say I am at all impressed with this staging of "Cowgirls Revenge." On Broadway, that was one of the highlights of the show... and the choreography was far superior.

BroadwayBen
#2029 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/30/10 at 9:56am

Here's a positive review from Atlanta...

http://www.atlantaintownpaper.com/2010/09/theatre-review-9-to-5-the-musical-at-the-fox/

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2039 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/30/10 at 9:57am

^ Thanks for the link. I'm not sure what to think of it. It isn't horrible, but it certainly as exciting as it was on Broadway.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

luvbrdway
#2049 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/30/10 at 11:35am

So do all three ladies stay on stage during the dream sequence? I saw this 2 years ago in LA, but I don't remember them all being on stage - thought they each took their turn then reappeared in "Snow White" type costume.

BroadwayBen
ABoyLikeThat
#2069 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/30/10 at 7:36pm

9 to 5: The Musical sizzle reel:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIRTlUoSt8E

LegallyBroadway2
#2079 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/30/10 at 8:47pm

This looks like an adorable tour.

goodoneinlou2
#2089 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/30/10 at 10:34pm

Oy, one of the most popular Dolly tunes of all time and the reporter can't event get the words right.

“Wake up in the morning, stumble to the kitchen…”

Ummm.... it's "Tumble out of bed and stumble to the kitchen."
Updated On: 9/30/10 at 10:34 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2099 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/5/10 at 10:17pm

My sister just saw the tour in Charlotte and texted, "This belongs on a stage at Dollywood. Totally cheesy and not in a good way. Looks cheap and bad acting."

Also, Charlotte has been sending ticket offers daily: 2 for 1, discount seats and other offers. Now Dolly is showing up this week for after show appearances.

I think the show is tanking.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Marie2
#2109 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/6/10 at 12:37am

No show can please everyone. From what I've seen of the reviews and online (Twitter and Facebook), people are enjoying the show a great deal. I also don't think 2 for 1 deals or anything like that is a sign the show is "tanking." Those kinds of ticket deals are fairly common.

Dolly plans to attend at least one show in any city that is within a short drive of Nashville. Her presence seems to be more related to her enthusiasm than anything else. I'm sorry your sister didn't like the show but so far she seems to be in the minority.

firstmccmatt Profile Photo
firstmccmatt
#2119 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/6/10 at 11:50am

Marie2: I have to agree with you. So far, the press has been OVERWHELMINGLY positive about the show. Reviews in Nashville and Atlanta were glowing, for the most part. I am a huge fan of the movie and the original Broadway staging, and just like before I am reserving judgment until I see it for myself. I have my tickets to catch it in Huntsville, AL... I'll report back after I see it. :)

Marie2
theatrecr8zy Profile Photo
theatrecr8zy
#2139 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/7/10 at 12:47am

Just got home from seeing the show in Charlotte ... I'll post a lengthier post about it when I have the time to do so ... I actually thoroughly enjoyed it ... didn't think it was too cheesy or anything like that and @ Bettyboy72 the deals and what not does not necessarily mean it is tanking ... the people that put on the tours in Charlotte (Blumenthal Performing Arts Center ... I believe) do those various deals all the time. Tonight was basically sold out ... in the orchestra I could only count about 15ish empty seats ... and almost all of those ticket deals were for the mezzanine seats ... but anyways ... will post a "review" sometime later :)

jamiekennywicked
#2149 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/7/10 at 9:29am

Can someone outline the changes made for the tour i.e: book changes & scene changes?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

ugahushpuppy
#2159 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/7/10 at 1:46pm

The tour is adorable. It is significantly scaled down. The only things that look the same from Broadway are the costumes. There is little, if any automation, as most of the actors move the sets themselves. People expecting the spectacle of the broadway show may be disappointed. Had the show been more successful on Broadway, I am sure more money would have been put in the tour and a new creative team would not have been hired.

I saw the show on Broadway too. I will say that the tour felt tighter. They have dropped "Always a Woman" from Act 2. The whole show is restaged as well. The best dream sequence was Violet's. The use of puppets in her dream is a hoot and half!

As for the show being cheesy, the musical is played as an over the top comedy. It certainly is an nostaglic throwback to 1979 and the show curtain puts you in that mood before the show starts. Also the Dolly projection is precious and works well with the show.

firstmccmatt
#2169 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/7/10 at 3:18pm

Playbill has a gallery of production photos up... The sets look cute, and very true to the movie.
Playbill 9 to 5 Production Gallery

firstmccmatt
#2179 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/7/10 at 3:20pm

And BWW has a gallery with even more pics, too. :)
Photo Coverage: 9 to 5 the Musical On Tour

jamiekennywicked
#2189 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/28/10 at 3:24pm

BUMP! Would somebody be able to answer some of my questions: (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

I seen a video posted on the 9 to 5 facebook page of a news segment which featured a clip from 'I Just Might'. At the end of the song it showed Judy still in the office by the Xerox Machine. Does Dick still make an appearence in the number or even in the show before GET OUT AND STAY OUT?

Has 'Always A Woman' been replaced by a scene or is the whole idea (Doralee in Hart's room etc) been cut all together. If so, how does he break free?

theatrecr8zy Profile Photo
theatrecr8zy
#2199 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/29/10 at 5:11am

@jamiekennywicked

I'll have to think about your second question .. I'm not sure I remember ... but Dick does still make an appearance during or around "I Just Might" ... he comes in and has some lines with Judy about serving her the divorce papers and what not

massofmen
#2209 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/29/10 at 3:13pm

i heard this tour is selling consistently at around 30%.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#2219 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/29/10 at 3:19pm

Yes... but remember, touring houses have around 3,000 seats. If you do the math, that's 7,200 tickets a week, which actually is more than some Broadway shows are selling. So, it may look bad, but it's actually not *as* bad as you'd think.

Marie2
#2229 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/29/10 at 3:29pm

Where is 30% coming from? I've had friends in Charlotte and Tampa attend the show and the crowds were healthy (not sold out, but well, well above 30%). Nashville did great, Atlanta did decently (the Fox Theater is enormous so there was no way it was selling out), Charlotte was good and Tampa is going well. I haven't heard anything about Des Moines.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#2239 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/29/10 at 4:00pm

massofmen I think you "heard" wrong.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

BroadwayBen
#2249 to 5 Tour
Posted: 10/29/10 at 6:21pm

Another strong review from Tampa

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/oct/27/on-stage-as-on-screen-9-to-5-works/

Videos