News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

9 to 5 Tour

BroadwayBen
#1509 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/18/10 at 1:34pm

Here's more of the new set...

http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wztv_vid_4909.shtml

KirbyCat
#1519 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/18/10 at 1:35pm

The video of Dolly at the beginning of the show pisses me off....

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1529 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/18/10 at 1:43pm

For me, it doesn't 'cause I had expected there to be (at least) a Dolly pre-show announcement. The way it is staged in the finale where they are waving to Dolly doesn't seem right though. I am still excited for the show nonetheless.

ABoyLikeThat
#1539 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/18/10 at 1:52pm

It looks great. I love the staging of Change It. Diana's Backwoods Barbie sounds great.

The link to Change It above doesn't work anymore. You can see the full song in these two videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-uBmwkymvs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-BzxWtFV5g&feature=channel
Updated On: 9/18/10 at 01:52 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1549 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/18/10 at 2:25pm

Thanks for sharing that video. I absolutely love the bits of the set they showed. It looks a lot better than I thought it would. I have to agree with jacobsnchz14 about the pre-show announcement. I think it's fine considering it is Dolly's show, but I definitely am not too fond of her singing along on the screen during the finale.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#1559 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/18/10 at 4:00pm

I'm extremely excited for this show! I loved Megan Hilty as Doralee but gotta say Diana soudns sounds fantastic singing in that clip

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#1569 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/19/10 at 1:38am

Is Diana not having the Double D inserts?

And Dolly in the finale is just wrong, Dolly is not a character.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1579 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/19/10 at 1:41am

I kind of understand if it is for the curtain call, but not during the actual finale.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#1589 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/19/10 at 1:55am

Is Diana not having the Double D inserts?

They weren't in costume, only their wigs.

The video of Dolly during the finale irks me too. I'm fine with the announcement, but it just seems wrong bringing Dolly back up after the show.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1599 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/19/10 at 1:59am

Yes, but Dolly is a huge selling factor in the show. While I don't love the idea, it probably gives the audience a little thrill and incorporates something for her fanbase. I mean, Dolly's photo was in a lot of the promos outside the Marquis with the actresses and alot of people (especially international tourists) were expecting Dolly in the show.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

TheatreFan4
#1609 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/19/10 at 2:01am

But the people are already there. It's the same thing with Jordin Sparks being the focus of the new In The Heights playbill. You already have your audience, you can quit exploiting them now.

AEA AGMA SM
#1619 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/19/10 at 2:40am

I'm not sure how I feel about it personally, but it's a great idea by the creative team and producers. As was stated before, many tourists went into the Marquis Theatre expecting to see Dolly on that stage, and it's likely to be the same on the road. Her video persona will help to alleviate that disappointment, and help to alleviate those people from walking out and telling their friends not to bother seeing the show because Dolly isn't actually in it.

Lefou Profile Photo
Lefou
#1629 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/19/10 at 11:28pm

Mamie sounds phenomenal on Get Out and Stay Out (from what I can tell from the video). Very excited to see what she does with the role!

goodoneinlou2
#1639 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/21/10 at 9:05am

Playbill.com revealed today that Dolly now apparently "narrates" the show. She must pop-up on that LCD screen throughout the show to comment on the action and fill in some story gaps. I'm not sure how I feel about that... it all depends on how it's done I suppose. I'll wait to see it before I pass judgement 9 to 5 Tour

Hopefully it will fix some of the story issues that I felt existed on Broadway. I saw the show on Broadway, and although I enjoyed it thoroughly, there were some definite issues with the book & staging (The best part of the movie - the hospital scene - became the worst part of the stage show IMO.)

Also confirmed by the Playbill article... Mr Hart's "Always a Woman" song is cut... and Roz's "Heart to Hart" was relocated in the story. I have to say... I will definitely not miss "Always a Woman."

None-the-less, break-a-leg to the entire cast. What I loved about the original staging was it had a "heart." It wasn't the best show I'd ever seen, but the joy from those involved transferred to the audience. I wish that very same thing for this new staging.

Updated On: 9/21/10 at 09:05 AM

bwayphreak234
#1649 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/21/10 at 9:44am

The tour opens tonight! If you are going please post a review on this thread and I would love to see a curtain picture if you can snag one! Thanks!

jamiekennywicked
#1659 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/21/10 at 12:27pm

Did anyone get a chance to see the dress rehearsal last night?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

goodoneinlou2
#1669 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/21/10 at 2:04pm

These folks saw the dress rehearsal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YagotmTNbI&feature=channel

TheatreFan4
#1679 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/21/10 at 4:24pm

Playbill.com revealed today that Dolly now apparently "narrates" the show.

Ew.

firstmccmatt Profile Photo
firstmccmatt
#1689 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/21/10 at 5:05pm

I seriously doubt she narrates the entire show. From the sound of things, she sets the scene and introduces the characters at the beginning of Act 1. I would imagine she might introduce Act 2, as well, although there's no confirmation of that. It's not like I'm crazy about the idea, but I'm reserving judgment until I see it. There's no way of knowing if it works until then.

jamiekennywicked
#1699 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/22/10 at 9:29am

Did anyone go last night?

goodoneinlou2
#1709 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/22/10 at 12:17pm

Here's a link to the only press article/picture I can currently find of last night's opening:

http://www.countryweekly.com/9_to_5_the_musical_opens_in_nashville/news/5073

Here's local news coverage including a brief interview with Dolly:

http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wztv_vid_4940.shtml

And finally, news coverage of the red carpet:

http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wztv_vid_4939.shtml

Updated On: 9/22/10 at 12:17 PM

jamiekennywicked
#1719 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/22/10 at 2:28pm

Did anyone go last night? How was the set?

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#1729 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/22/10 at 4:33pm

Was hoping to see some feedback here... I'm not seeing it 'til closing night, Sunday. Some fellow Nashville friends on Facebook saw it last night and loved it, but that might be partially because most of them had their pix taken with Dolly and were still all "star-fuc*ed up." 9 to 5 Tour

dutch46mill2
#1739 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/22/10 at 6:45pm

The twitters and Facebook fans said they loved it. Gotta wait till it comes my way to go. Diana Degarmo I hear was outstanding.I've heard no bad things so I'm very positive about this production.

http://www.wbir.com/life/programming/local/liveatfive/story.aspx?storyid=135381&provider=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter Updated On: 9/22/10 at 06:45 PM

bwayphreak234
#1749 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/22/10 at 9:39pm

9 to 5 Tour

Here's a picture I found of the curtain call.

Videos