News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

9 to 5 Tour

advantages
#1759 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/22/10 at 10:17pm

I was at opening night. It was a very cool experience, but I will say that I think the show needs some work. I've never done a review before, so I apoligize if this one is terrible.

About an hour before the show started, I got to the red carpet just to see if anyone famous showed up. There were about 75-100 of us watching. I only saw Dolly and Patricia Resnick, but I heard from other people that Naomi Judd and the Rascal Flatts were there as well.

But on to the show. The three leads are fantastic! Without them, I really think the show would have fallen apart. Diana stole the show for me, though. I thought her accent was a little strange at first, but it's not in an annoying way. And she can sing like crazy! Mamie was great too, and has a belt that I was not expecting. Dee was really good as well, I just thought her character was sort of boring.

I guess you want to know about the Dolly projection too? It was just there at the beginning and end, and was not annoying at all! I thought it was a really great touch. At the beginning all she did was introduce the characters and the situation, and at the end she told the audience what each of the characters did in the future.

The set was ok. Some parts were really cool, but at some points the stage looked really empty. I'm not really sure what else to say about it.

The choreography was just ok too. Some parts were good, but there were many points in the show (especially the group numbers) where everyone just stood on the stage and did their own thing.

As for the show itself, it was cute, but didn't leave me going "WOW!" I've never seen the movie before, or the broadway show, so I'm basing this on just what I saw last night. I thought it was predictable, but fun at the same time. There were parts, however, that draggggeeeddddd like I've never seen before (mainly the scene where the three women are smoking and planning different ways to kill their boss. It really felt like that scene was an hour.)I thought the book was just OK too. some jokes were really funny, but others I thought were not that great.

After curtain call Dolly came out and gave a speech, as did Pat, and the director.

Oh, curtain call was a mess. No one seemed to know what they were doing. And on the projector that dolly would come on, they had the names of the actors pop up as they gave their bow, which I thought looked a little cheap.

All in all, I did enjoy myself last night, and I would reccomend the show if only to see it for Diana, Dee, and Mamie.

ABoyLikeThat
#1769 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/23/10 at 7:09am

First promotional shot.

http://artsacrossga.blogspot.com/2010/09/9-to-5-musical-opens-sept-28-at.html Updated On: 9/23/10 at 07:09 AM

dutch46mill2
#1779 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/23/10 at 10:00am

Next show stop is Atlanta Fox Theater. Wow what a theater.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23056599@N00/3586005585/in/set-72157619023483303/
http://www.foxtheatre.org/index.aspx

They play this Mighty Mo organ before each show too.

firstmccmatt Profile Photo
firstmccmatt
#1789 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/23/10 at 1:21pm

Nice! That shot looks like "Shine Like the Sun" to me. Very cool. All of the costumes I had seen until now looked to be the same as they were on Broadway, but Diana's is definitely different than anything Megan Hilty wore.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#1799 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/23/10 at 2:21pm

How does Hart's office work?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

ABoyLikeThat
#1809 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/23/10 at 6:19pm

Video montage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VxBc2mlPsY

LegallyBroadway2
#1819 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/23/10 at 7:22pm

Oh, that looks cute! Although I love scott pask's design.. this one looks perfect for a tour. Definitely better than a horrible scale down **Points at Leags**

Still... the Dolly projection is a little... idk...

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#1829 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/23/10 at 10:20pm

9 to 5 Tour

Your fupa is showing.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#1839 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/23/10 at 10:38pm

Dee Hoty shouldn't be wigged, it just doesn't look natural on her... Also some of the new costumes are kinda horrific... Did they go to a thrift store for some of them?

I miss the broadway production.

ugahushpuppy
#1849 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/23/10 at 10:59pm

Well, I have to disagree. I think the ladies look great and costumes are period perfect.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1859 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/23/10 at 11:43pm

I actually like the costumes. Very fun and colorful. The set for the show kind of reminds me of the dreadful High School Musical touring production a few years back with the rotating paneled walls and reflective stage floor. I actually like this set though

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#1869 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/24/10 at 12:57am

Hart's harness is straight up ghetto. Love it!

LegallyBroadway2
#1879 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/24/10 at 1:17am

bwayphreak234- its the same scenic designer

bwayphreak234
#1889 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/24/10 at 3:24am

That would make sense then. No wonder the designs look so so similar

bwayphreak234
#1899 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/24/10 at 3:24am

That would make sense then. No wonder the designs look so so similar

broadwayguy2
#1909 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/24/10 at 3:30am

Kenneth Foy, like most designers, has a very specific design style and point of view. Personally, I really like his style. It manages to stay fresh without feeling dated and is never overly complicated, while at the same time, is very old school and traditional. The fact that the show is helmed by the same director as High School Musical is also one reason why it would have a similar feel, I think.

goodoneinlou2
#1919 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/24/10 at 10:04am

Isn't the tour also using the same costume designer? Many of the costumes look the same as on Broadway... but there's also some definite differences.

Quite honestly, Judy looks like Mary Poppins! Especially the wig!

I am happy to see that the set resembles the Broadway version - albeit scaled back. I was concerned the tour would use very few set pieces at all and rely on a much more minimalistic look.

bwayphreak234
#1929 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/24/10 at 11:00am

I love Kenneth Foy's work. His set was the only standout in the High School Musical tour. I always find his designs to be very clever.

Marie2
#1939 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/24/10 at 3:17pm

The show got a rave review from the critic at The Tennessean. Diana is "a hoot" as Doralee, he had praise for all the leads, for the score, for the story, etc. Nice way to start the tour.

Link to review Updated On: 9/24/10 at 03:17 PM

luvbrdway
#1949 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/24/10 at 3:45pm

I always thought it was interesting how they didn't "feature" Megan Hilty more when the show was on Broadway, since she played Dolly's part. It was always the "Allison Janney Show". Understandable, I guess since she had a "name".

Seems like Diana DeGarmo is being given the most media attention (from that picture looks like Doralee is front and center in the finale rather than Violet). Whatever sells tickets, and I'm sure a lot of people remember her from AI. I know she lives in Nashville, but I wonder if they will continue to "feature" her in other tour cities?

Oh, and I think the costumes are hideous, therefore, very authentic 70's! I think I had a skirt just like the one Diana is wearing!
Updated On: 9/24/10 at 03:45 PM

ABoyLikeThat
#1959 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/24/10 at 6:40pm

That picture is not from the finale. I believe it's from the end of "Change It", which Doralee has always been the lead in, although the staging is now different. Violet is still in the center for the finale.

Glad to see the tour is getting good reviews. I think Diana is getting media attention because she's the only one well known to most people in the cities the tour is hitting. She lives in Nashvile though, and the second stop of the tour (Atlanta) is her hometown, so obviously there will be press there. Joe did promo for Nashville too since he has history there.

LegallyBroadway2
#1969 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/25/10 at 3:40pm

Foy's work is so adorable, and its like, perfect for 9 to 5.

Except for the show curtain and portals, I think? Do they have the period icons on them still?

jamiekennywicked
#1979 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/25/10 at 3:51pm

^ as far as I know the curtain hasn't changed since the video with the set model.

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

jamiekennywicked
#1989 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/25/10 at 6:20pm

Just watched the montage and was wondering is there other cast members, besides Hart and Doralee on stage for 'HERE FOR YOU'?

LegallyBroadway2
#1999 to 5 Tour
Posted: 9/26/10 at 2:13am

jamiekennywicked, yea, I figured :/

Videos