News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

"Best Musical" 2007 TONY Contenders- Page 8

"Best Musical" 2007 TONY Contenders

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#175re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:12am

Sweeney Todd isn't, and never will be a big hit. The last revival did recoup, yes, but the production was very inexpensive.

And no, critics don't pay to see the show 24/7. But for most shows, people rely on critical reaction to decide whether or not to see a show. And most shows that get nominated for Best Musical normally have very good reviews, unless it is a weak year, which this year is not.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#176re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:18am

" Sweeney Todd isn't, and never will be a big hit. The last revival did recoup, yes, but the production was very inexpensive."
Are You Joking? Sweeney Todd is a show that will go down in Broadway history because of its bold show..

"And no, critics don't pay to see the show 24/7. But for most shows, people rely on critical reaction to decide whether or not to see a show. And most shows that get nominated for Best Musical normally have very good reviews, unless it is a weak year, which this year is not. "
I've never known/seen/heard any person who has relied on what the critics think of a show...Critics could give the best musicals horrible reviews, yet the shows sell out and get audience positive reaction, wanna know why? Because they don't listen to the critics...If people listened to critics do you think shows like BATB and Wicked would still be running...NO

wonderfulwizard11
#177re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:23am

Sweeney Todd is an artistic sucess. It is not an audience hit, and it never will be. And the musical going down in history doesn't change that.

As for shows like BATB and Wicked, they run on name recognition. People recognize the Disney name, and they go see it because Disney is familiar. Wicked is based off the Wizard of OZ, and people see it because they know the Wizard of Oz.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#178re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:26am

"As for shows like BATB and Wicked, they run on name recognition. People recognize the Disney name, and they go see it because Disney is familiar. Wicked is based off the Wizard of OZ, and people see it because they know the Wizard of Oz." Well then there you go...MARY POPPINS is recognized by its Disney name therefore it has the audience's attention and therefore it's bound to get a nomination

wonderfulwizard11
#179re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:27am

Just because a show has the Disney name doesn't mean it is going to get nominated. Tarzan wan't nominated. Aida wasn't nominated.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#180re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:31am

I never said that just because it has a disney name it will get nom., I only said that people recognize the show and they go see it and it soon becomes a success...Also Tarzan was a risky move that Phil Collins took, which Tarzan isn't even a huge franchise like the other Disney Classics..and AIDA isn't an original DISNEY show, its based off of the story and the Opera of the same name....And you just put words in your own mouth because you said BATB was known for it's Disney name and got nom. for its audience success, which if you recall it was bashed by critics, now Mary Poppins comes along and you say just because it's Disney doesn't mean it's going to get nominated....
Updated On: 2/18/07 at 05:31 AM

wonderfulwizard11
#181re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:34am

"MARY POPPINS is recognized by its Disney name therefore it has the audience's attention and therefore it's bound to get a nomination"

Yeah, you did. re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#182re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:35am

EVEN IF I DID NOW YOU ARE JUST STEERING AWAY FROM WHAT I SAID!

wonderfulwizard11
#183re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:41am

Beauty got a nomination mostly because it was a weak year.

Its other nominees(beside Passion)

Cyrano: The Musical: 137 Performances, Closed before Tony time

A Grand Night For Singing: 52 Performances, Closed before Tony time

BATB got a nom. because there wasn't much else to nominate.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#184re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:41am

Not to mention " And most shows that get nominated for Best Musical normally have very good reviews, unless it is a weak year, which this year is not." hmmmm what I said about Wicked and BATB, does that not apply here...they got mixed reviews yet were nom. Wicked had big competition that had good reviews, so why would it be nom., hmmmmm maybe because of the audiences reaction to the show, not the cirtical reaction...You think this season was strong: High Fedelity, The Little Dog Laughed, The Vertical Hour

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#185re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:43am

and...." Beauty got a nomination mostly because it was a weak year.

Its other nominees(beside Passion)

Cyrano: The Musical: 137 Performances, Closed before Tony time

A Grand Night For Singing: 52 Performances, Closed before Tony time

BATB got a nom. because there wasn't much else to nominate. "
What about Wicked hmmm Wicked was mixed by critics and had a strong season, how do you explain that...You can't

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#186re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:45am

Ahhhhh, I love mature and reasoned debate in the morning. :3

Shame I'll have to go elsewhere to find it. re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders

wonderfulwizard11
#187re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:46am

The Vertcial Hour and The Little Dog Laughed are both plays (and TLDL got good reviews), and this season also has Grey Gardens, Spring Awakening, Company, etc. It is quite a strong season.

And Wicked's season wasn't too strong either. Its reviews were mixed positive, with a couple of generally good reviews mixed in, but no falt out pans. Beauty's reaction was more negative.

Edit: Weez, was that directed at me?

Updated On: 2/18/07 at 05:46 AM

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#188re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:49am

"The Vertcial Hour and The Little Dog Laughed are both plays (and TLDL got good reviews), and this season also has Grey Gardens, Spring Awakening, Company, etc. It is quite a strong season. "
Company is a revival, not original

" And Wicked's season wasn't too strong either. Its reviews were mixed positive, with a couple of generally good reviews mixed in, but no falt out pans. Beauty's reaction was more negative. " Wicked season was stronger than this season and had better shows that got good reviews and Wicked didn't..

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#189re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:51am

Edit: Weez, was that directed at me?

Now why would I aim that at you when your sparring partner is the mockable one here? :)

wonderfulwizard11
#190re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:52am

Lol.

Well, while this debate is rather fascinating, I really should be off to bed.

Updated On: 2/18/07 at 05:52 AM

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#191re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 5:55am

"Edit: Weez, was that directed at me?"
Ooooo Lemme Try....Edit: Wow I just crack myself up by randomly popping into conversations and talking to myself aren't I funny? XD..Yup this is the most mature thing ever!

Updated On: 2/18/07 at 05:55 AM

Yankeefan007
#192re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 8:16am

The 2003-2004 season contained:
Avenue Q
Wicked
Boy From Oz
Never Gonna Dance
Bombay Dreams
Caroline or Change.

The nominees were Q, Wicked, Oz, and Change. Wicked was the predicted favorite solely for the fact that it was the biggest hit of the bunch. Q won for artistic reasons (and the fact that they said they were going to send it on tour). They made the right decision that year, Q is the better show.

The season ofr NEW musicals was not strong. Caroline or Change flopped, as did Bombay Dreams and Never Gonna Dance. The only reason why Boy From Oz lasted was Hugh Jackman.

ThankstoPhantom
#193re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 8:21am

Yankee you beat me! :)

Future Aladdin...you really have no idea about how this business works, do you?

This season is leaps and bounds the strongest one of the bast 5-6 years, for real. There are very strong shwos open and opening. Of course, there are some shows that will flop, no kidding.

Quit trying to defend every little thing you've said. I like Mary Poppins, but I find it unlikely that it will get a nomination because this is a very strong artistic season with musicals.

By the way, here's a list of the new musicals of the 2003/2004 Season:

Avenue Q
The Boy From Oz
Wicked
Taboo
Never Gonna Dance
Bombay Dreams
Caroline, or Change

4 of those flopped...most were considered critical and audience pans. The Boy from Oz's sole purpose of existence was for Hugh Jackman.

2006-2007:

Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me
Grey Gardens
Mary Poppins
The Times They are A Changin'
High Fidelity
Spring Awakening
Curtains
The Pirate Queen
Legally Blonde
Love Musik
Xanadu?

Most of these shows seem to be off on a good foot, albeit two or three have flopped, and possibly one other in the future. But there's likely 5 or 6 strong shows total out of 11...that's stronger than 2003-2004.

EDITED: Added more shows, thanks Smaxie!

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 2/18/07 at 08:21 AM

Yankeefan007
#194re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 8:22am

Ah, forgot about Taboo.

And I'm sure another can of worms will be opened.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#195re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 8:44am

This season will actually have 11 new musicals. ThankstoPhantom left out the closed Times They Are a Changin' and the upcoming Xanadu, which is apparently real.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#196re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 10:04am

This is a hugely competitive season so let me revise my earlier predictions.

Grey Gardens
Spring Awakening
Legally Blonde
Curtains

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#197re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 10:46am

Hmmm... of that list of 11, I'd go with:

Grey Gardens
Spring Awakening
Curtains

For sure, with the fourth place as either The Pirate Queen (if it's drastically improved) or Love Musik (if it doesn't suck), and Mary Poppins a distant third for the fourth spot. If that makes sense. ^_^

Trekkie2
#198re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 11:17am

Grey Gardens
Mary Poppins
Spring Awakening
The Pirate Queen

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#199re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 2/18/07 at 1:38pm

Grey Gardens
Spring Awakining
Mary Poppins
Curtains

Videos