News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BroadwayCon - A convention for Broadway fans- Page 7

BroadwayCon - A convention for Broadway fans

Pootie2
#150BroadwayCon:
Posted: 10/15/15 at 7:35pm

Last batch of tickets go up this Saturday at 1:00pm Eastern.

They also just announced a partnership with Playbill: http://playbill.com/news/article/playbill-partners-with-broadwaycon-for-one-of-a-kind-star-studded-theatre-event-367402

I'm not sure what that really means, though. More publicity? Maybe a nicely printed "program"? Well, it can only be a good thing. It's still so far away, but I can't wait to hear reports about it!

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#151BroadwayCon:
Posted: 10/18/15 at 9:09am

It seems that most here agree that the "pay to meet celebs" is a tad icky.   (Amy Schumer had an interesting take on this type thing in a recent Howard stern interview.  I can't find it but she essentially describes it as, "I paid my money and now you have to spend time with me." -pretty similar to another line of work.)

You guys are the ones I would like to meet.  And what a great idea I have had!   Broadway Con should, on their name badges for the event, offer to place one's broadwayworld user name under the real name.  Trolls may not be up for it but I think many others would. 

That would lead to real "meet and greet" opportunities and maybe even a few real connections.     What fun!

Updated On: 10/18/15 at 09:09 AM

StageStar2468
#152BroadwayCon:
Posted: 10/18/15 at 2:10pm

Totally agree! Im not saying I'm a regular poster, but I have been on here for quite some time and know a lot of us have formed online relationships through this site. I think it'd be a really cool opportunity to see some of us in person :)

Pootie2
#153BroadwayCon:
Posted: 10/18/15 at 3:39pm

All the fan meetups I've seen at other conventions use a communications thread to keep planning and "RSVPs" together, so that might be something someone would be willing to spearhead separately, like designating a time and place to meet. Since a convention map may not appear until much closer to the actual date, the lobby of the NY Hilton Midtown where the convention is located would work too, I suppose. Good luck to those attending.

Also, I think the meet-and-greets in this type of setting is far, far preferable to the entitlement of stagedooring. This is controlled, predictable, and the ticket prices benefit BC/EFA. The guests won't be tired and would be mentally in attendance as well.

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#154BroadwayCon:
Posted: 10/18/15 at 6:18pm

Pootie2 said: "All the fan meetups I've seen at other conventions use a communications thread to keep planning and "RSVPs" together, so that might be something someone would be willing to spearhead separately, like designating a time and place to meet. 

I'm Not sure I understand what you are suggesting. Just a separate joint email where everyone hits "reply all"?

help me here.  Thanks. 

Pootie2
#155BroadwayCon:
Posted: 10/18/15 at 6:53pm

Comden Green said: "Pootie2 said: "All the fan meetups I've seen at other conventions use a communications thread to keep planning and "RSVPs" together, so that might be something someone would be willing to spearhead separately, like designating a time and place to meet. "

I'm Not sure I understand what you are suggesting. Just a separate joint email where everyone hits "reply all"?

help me here.  Thanks. "

Not really; while creating a separate mailing list or something is quite possible (maybe Google has something for that), what I've seen is simpler. Basically someone who is going and enjoys "leading" these kinds of things creates a separate thread entitled, for example, "BroadwayCon 2015 meetup" with information at the top about when and where, and if there will be a special side event (dinner, or finding a space somewhere to chat, etc.). People will RSVP in different ways, like indicating how they'll be dressed or whatnot. I've seen some people post photos of themselves, but you'd have to be very comfortable with that on a public forum like this that is trawled by search bots. Others might only respond that they'll plan to go. There are other more formalized systems (e.g. Metafilter) but they're essentially the same idea.

Pootie2
#156BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/16/15 at 5:53pm

It seems the last batch of tickets have NOT sold out yet.

Also, Playbill has started a survey for those who will be attending: https://twitter.com/playbill/status/666382816888930306

Headed to @BwayCon in January?! Fill out this survey to help us prepare  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7G98M5R

Updated On: 11/16/15 at 05:53 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#157BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/16/15 at 8:55pm

I took it! I hope they publish the results of this.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#158BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/17/15 at 2:40pm

I do wonder what they are doing with the answers. Almost seemed Family Feudish. Also realized I didn't really say the shows my answers were from. Hope they can figure that out, if it matters.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#159BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/18/15 at 5:57pm

I had way too much fun filling out that survey, although it was really more of a quiz i.m.h.o.! We should share some of our answers, just for kicks...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

LizzieCurry
#160BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/18/15 at 7:10pm

That question that asked about a famous Broadway star was funny. I think I said something like, "Does Anthony Rapp hope I mention him here?"

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#161BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/18/15 at 7:19pm

Ha! I think I put Stephen Sondheim as my answer to that one.

Phantom was my response for a long-running show. Judy Kaye was my "multiple Tony winner." The Gershwin was what I wrote when they asked about a large Broadway theatre. And I put "all three Alisons" from Fun Home as the LGBT character.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

ebontoyan
#162BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/18/15 at 7:26pm

Longest running:  Phantom

Multiple Tony winner: Audra Mcdonald

large Broadway theater: Winter Garden

LGBT character: Lola from Kinky Boots

delongpre
#163BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/18/15 at 8:12pm

Funny, I posted yesterday and it's gone.

I think the poll was trying to get a profile of the average person attending the convention in order to know what events, activities, sales items might be most desirable. Audra was my multiple winner also.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#164BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/18/15 at 8:40pm

Longest running:  Phantom

Multiple Tony winner: Audra Mcdonald

large Broadway theater: Gershwin

LGBT character: Hedwig

i know I answered Idina Menzel to something and "I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair" to another.

LizzieCurry
#165BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/18/15 at 8:41pm

I tried to think of a non-actor and put Theoni Aldredge! I'm sure I skewed the results in multiple ways...

Pootie2
#166BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/20/15 at 1:27pm

From Playbill:

Broadway siblings Andrew and Celia Keenan-Bolger, Tony Award-winning Next to Normal star Alice Ripley and original Matildas Sophia Gennusa and Oona Laurence are among the latest stars announced to participate in BroadwayCon.

Also joining the one-of-a-kind weekend are Sawyer Nunes (Finding Neverland), Sam Poon (The King and I), Taylor Richardson (Annie) and Ripley Sobo (Matilda, "Steve Jobs" ).

Updated On: 11/20/15 at 01:27 PM

WinstonSalem
#167BroadwayCon:
Posted: 11/20/15 at 10:54pm

I won't be going, but I can't wait to hear all about it when it's over!

Pootie2
#168BroadwayCon:
Posted: 12/3/15 at 12:23pm

http://playbill.com/news/article/lin-manuel-miranda-leslie-odom-jr.-and-more-hamilton-stars-will-bring-musical-revolution-to-broadwaycon-374004

"Hamilton star and creator Lin-Manuel Miranda, who stars as the ten dollar founding father, will be joined at BroadwayCon by co-stars Leslie Odom, Jr., Phillipa Soo, Renée Elise Goldsberry, Daveed Diggs and Jonathan Groff. Fans can expect to catch them as part of the Jan. 22 opening events."

Hamilton star and creator Lin-Manuel Miranda, who stars as the ten dollar founding father, will be joined at BroadwayCon by co-stars Leslie Odom, Jr., Phillipa Soo, Renée Elise Goldsberry, Daveed Diggs and Jonathan Groff. Fans can expect to catch them as part of the Jan. 22 opening events. - See more at: http://playbill.com/news/article/lin-manuel-miranda-leslie-odom-jr.-and-more-hamilton-stars-will-bring-musical-revolution-to-broadwaycon-374004#sthash.4Smwrvib.dpuf

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#169BroadwayCon:
Posted: 12/3/15 at 12:34pm

LizzieCurry said: "I took it! I hope they publish the results of this."

Heh, why do you always think they're going to release survey results? BroadwayCon:

Pootie2
#170BroadwayCon:
Posted: 12/5/15 at 11:51am

haterobics said: "LizzieCurry said: "I took it! I hope they publish the results of this."

Heh, why do you always think they're going to release survey results? BroadwayCon:

"

It sure would be nice, but yeah, unless this was for a published study or public polling, it won't happen. Alas!

Playbill has a nice general information article about it now: https://www.playbill.com/news/article/what-you-need-to-know-about-broadwaycon-the-event-that-has-all-of-broadway-buzzing-374330

It also occurred to me that the last "batch" of tickets shouldn't be a limited number before the convention (besides VIP, I suppose), so now I expect it's just an open field to see how many people ultimately show up to fill all the rooms. Anyway, I'm curious how similar this will be to other major fan conventions, subject matter notwithstanding. I really doubt this will be as huge as ComicCon with as much cosplaying, but here are some con survival tips for people who have never been to a con (just mentally scale it down). Since the BroadwayCon people are the same ones who produce LeakyCon and GeekyCon, I'm sure there are "guides" out there for those as well.

LizzieCurry
#171BroadwayCon:
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:02pm

haterobics said: "Heh, why do you always think they're going to release survey results? BroadwayCon: "

hope =/= think

This has been Saturday Vocabulary With Lizzie!

Pootie2
#172BroadwayCon:
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:26pm

LizzieCurry said: "haterobics said: "Heh, why do you always think they're going to release survey results? BroadwayCon: "

BroadwayCon really should publish an infographic for their first convention, though, with help from the survey results. cheeky

hope =/= think

This has been Saturday Vocabulary With Lizzie!

"

serene_embers
#173BroadwayCon:
Posted: 12/10/15 at 1:35pm

Saw this morning that more individuals are slated to appear at BroadwayCon.

• Jeremy Jordan
  • Krysta Rodriguez
  • Chris Jackson
  • Lesli Margherita

Pootie2
#174BroadwayCon:
Posted: 12/10/15 at 3:16pm

The program schedule (tentative or "preview" ) is also now up, added to the first post: http://broadwaycon2016.sched.org/

Interesting; there are fan meetups scheduled for the beginning of the first day. I have no idea how those were organized into the convention, though.

Updated On: 12/10/15 at 03:16 PM

Videos