News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BroadwayCon - A convention for Broadway fans- Page 6

BroadwayCon - A convention for Broadway fans

Pootie2
#125BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 3:38pm

I don't know who you're referring to. Who needs that?

The first batch already sold out, so what exactly are you arguing?

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#126BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 3:59pm

Pootie - did you buy tickets today?

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#127BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 4:01pm

All Im saying is right now they have an unknown entity and product. The allure may be selling tickets. It remains to be seen if they will deliver some premium access to premium artists or experiences.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Pootie2
#128BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 4:16pm

"Pootie - did you buy tickets today?"

No, I didn't intend to. That time of year isn't ideal for me to travel, sadly, but I do hope this becomes an annual thing so I may have a chance in the future.

"All Im saying is right now they have an unknown entity and product. The allure may be selling tickets. It remains to be seen if they will deliver some premium access to premium artists or experiences."

You're missing the mark in cautioning people, as this isn't some kind of pyramid scheme; those involved in creating the convention have a successful pedigree, as others have noted. Questions about the pricing have been addressed, to me satisfactorily, by one of the operators.

There's also no point in arguing "premium" this or that because it's possible someone really loves one of the current guests, like Anthony Rapp, and is willing to spend that money to get there. I wouldn't be surprised if the guest list isn't even the biggest reason for the ticket sales today but rather just getting to the first Broadway fan convention ever with the possibility to meet other theater geeks in that type of setting. There's an allure in that as well, as those of us who've been to conventions know. At the very least, someone who visits the convention would have a good excuse to see actual shows then too. If someone has the wherewithal and desire (and by the ticket sales today, a good number do), I don't believe this can be a loss. But that's an assessment appropriate only for those who actually go, of course.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#129BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 4:27pm

I live in the greater NY area and can see shows and stage door whenever I want to. I agree that yes we have much greater access to Broadway performers than we do TV and film stars. But going to a professional convention with panels and structured events is a lot different than waiting with a crowd for an autograph and a hello from a performer who really just wants to get home.

Therefore, I bought a general weekend pass because I want to experience this new event, learn more about theatre, network and have fun! And I'm looking forward to hearing what these Broadway performers (and hopefully other types) have to say about their craft. I'm hedging my bets that the panels will be interesting and the big names will actually show up. Sure, it would be great to have a chance to meet some of them and express my appreciation for their work in a setting beyond the stage door, but I certainly don't expect to become their friend.

I am sure that for some people the allure is the belief that they will have an unfettered opportunity to fangirl. I imagine they will be disappointed.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#130BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 6:23pm

God, I hope so.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#131BroadwayCon:
Posted: 3/15/15 at 8:35pm

I got the weekend pass today. I can't wait.

I noticed that any minors not going with parents need a notarized permission slip. So maybe that and the price will deter some of the ones that would be coming just to meet people.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

AngInFL79
#132BroadwayCon:
Posted: 4/3/15 at 1:08pm

I purchased my pass in the first batch. I have great hopes this convention will be a success. As a Broadway enthusiast I think this will be a great time and I'm really looking forward to it. Hoping it does well enough that it'll become an annual thing. I believe there is more of a Broadway following than most realize.

My biggest excitement doesn't come so much from the guest list, although it is building fantastically so far, but with the panels and other offerings, like the workshops and keynotes. Fantastic! 

Pootie2
#133BroadwayCon:
Posted: 5/28/15 at 7:02pm

The guest list has been updated today, and it looks more and more interesting. Next batch of tickets go on sale July 18. I didn't expect the first batch to actually sell out that quickly, so this will probably go even faster.

Pootie2
#134BroadwayCon:
Posted: 7/18/15 at 7:15am

Bump. Second batch of tickets open today.

I'm curious how this will turn out.

Pootie2
#135BroadwayCon:
Posted: 7/18/15 at 2:55pm

https://twitter.com/bwaycon/status/622465335396962304

VIP tickets are all sold out as of an hour ago. There's a waiting list, apparently (and no VIP tickets in the 3rd batch).

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#136BroadwayCon:
Posted: 7/18/15 at 9:15pm

I bought a ticket as a birthday present (IT'S TODAY!) to myself. It kind of works in my case because I live in the New York area, and I often don't get to meet performers at the stage door...since whenever I go to a show with my mom/grandma they want to come straight home afterward.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#137BroadwayCon:
Posted: 7/18/15 at 10:16pm

^ Happy birthday! Hope you had a good one.

LizzieCurry
#138BroadwayCon:
Posted: 7/18/15 at 10:44pm

Got my pass for the whole weekend. Meeting performers isn't high on my list, but I'm interested to hear what people say in various discussions/whatnot.

Pootie2
#139BroadwayCon:
Posted: 7/19/15 at 10:09am

"Got my pass for the whole weekend. Meeting performers isn't high on my list, but I'm interested to hear what people say in various discussions/whatnot."

While I'd love to "meet" the performers in a controlled environment like this (unlike chaotic stage door gambles), out of the current guest list, I'd be most interested in hearing Barbara Whitman, Yorkey and Kitt, and Seth Rudetsky. A panel and Q&A with Whitman would be particularly interesting to me, like the decision-making process producers go through for various things. Ah well, I hope to hear some reports about all the stuff when the time comes, at least.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#140BroadwayCon:
Posted: 7/19/15 at 10:26am

I like a mix of panels and meeting people.  But, I probably would choose a can't miss panel over the meet and greets. 

I wish they had a time listed for the start. I realize I have plenty of time still,  but I keep worrying about a hotel. Unfortunately the $229 is not a bargain at all for the Hilton.  I guess I keep worrying if I don't book now, I will be out of luck.  But, I know that will not be the case.  

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

LizzieCurry
#141BroadwayCon:
Posted: 7/19/15 at 10:52am

Try the Pod Hotel!

I'm also interested in what happens during this inaugural event. I know there will be some strangeness/wild behavior at least once and that's part of why I paid for the whole weekend. BroadwayCon:

Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#142BroadwayCon:
Posted: 7/19/15 at 5:17pm

Thank you so much, Jerry Orbach...I mean, Fisherman Bob! Haha. It was a nice day in NYC for a birthday.

DanieleD
#143BroadwayCon:
Posted: 7/20/15 at 6:21am

I know you guys prefer not to use the boards to sell tickets or items but I figured here was the best place to post. I ended up grabbing way more VIP tickets for BroadwayCon than I needed. I had some flaky friends say they wanted to come and of course they can't afford it. So here it is, one time opportunity, I have TWO extra VIP tickets if someone wants them. They are $650 each and unfortunately I'm in Las Vegas for a couple months so I'll need to do payment by PayPal only. Sorry if that's inconvenient. Only safe way to get it done. You can text me at 702-808-0813 or email at danielelcd@ymail.com if interested. I'd like to sell both at once if possible.

Thanks

Pootie2
#144BroadwayCon:
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:57am

"I know you guys prefer not to use the boards to sell tickets or items but I figured here was the best place to post. I ended up grabbing way more VIP tickets for BroadwayCon than I needed. I had some flaky friends say they wanted to come and of course they can't afford it. So here it is, one time opportunity, I have TWO extra VIP tickets if someone wants them. They are $650 each and unfortunately I'm in Las Vegas for a couple months so I'll need to do payment by PayPal only. Sorry if that's inconvenient. Only safe way to get it done. You can text me at 702-808-0813 or email at danielelcd@ymail.com if interested. I'd like to sell both at once if possible.

Thanks"

No. They are $600 each. And you should get a refund: http://www.broadwaycon.com/tickets/

Pootie2
#145BroadwayCon:
Posted: 10/5/15 at 9:07am

Last batch of tickets go on sale October 17. I think they reserved some for giveaways/contests, so that might happen again.

LizzieCurry
#146BroadwayCon:
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:14am

Schedule in-progress: http://www.broadwaycon.com/Schedule

Pootie2
#147BroadwayCon:
Posted: 10/6/15 at 12:13pm

LizzieCurry said: "Schedule in-progress: http://www.broadwaycon.com/Schedule

"

Wow, all of the programs look very interesting and exactly what I hoped and expected they would do. These especially:

CHANGED FOR GOOD (The History of Theater and Social Change)

PRODUCING 101 (Taking a Show from Page to Stage)

WHY DIDN’T IT RUN? (Why Our Favorite Shows Close)

TALES OF COMPANY MANAGEMENT (The Ultimate Juggling Act)

The Marketplace section is also something expected for a convention, though I wonder how they plan on differentiating it from the Flea, or if they even want to. These additional details are making me more excited to see how this pans out.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#148BroadwayCon:
Posted: 10/6/15 at 1:59pm

Oh my gosh- "Performing in a Show that You Write." STORY OF MY LIFE! It's like they put that one in there just for me, Lol.

Pootie2
#149BroadwayCon:
Posted: 10/8/15 at 2:11pm

The guest list has been updated today with four new guests. LaChanze was taken off due to conflict with the IF/THEN tour.

Videos