News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Carrie Revival?

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#50re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 10:09am

I have always thought Bernadette Peters would make a good mother. Mrs. White and the witch from into the woods have alot in common the whole "stay with me" syndrome. I think she could do an awesome job and bring in ticket sales. Id rather just have Betty Buckley come back but I think she might be too old but Bernadette is getting older too. I would also love to see Alice Ripley do it!

Danielm
#51re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 2:36pm

Although I think all these people would be great--it would be hard to get a Bernadette Peters or Marin Mazzie in this show. Why would they do something like this when they can do good shows?

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#52re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/9/06 at 11:12am

How about Maria Friedman (sp?) as Mrs. White? She did great in the woman in White...why not keep with the theme?

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#53re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/9/06 at 11:15am

Nope, I'm still for Ms. Alice Ripley, the ONLY choice for Margaret White.

#54re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/9/06 at 11:19am

There was also a planned concert version of CARRIE several years ago, with a planned recording of the concert, but it never came to pass. As I recall, the composers put an end to that. So I wouldn't put to much stock in this latet story.

whatacharacter
#55re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/9/06 at 1:35pm

The composers need to look at the big picture here. Their names will forever be tied to this musical. They can either choose to leave it as this huge, laughable, flop...or get over themselves, belly up to the table and fix it!

BSoBW2
#56re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/9/06 at 1:41pm

Apparently Seth is on his way to getting a concert version going.

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#57re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/9/06 at 3:42pm

If that's the case, Seth is my hero & I'll gladly bear his children.

whatacharacter
#58re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/9/06 at 4:22pm

me too...except for the whole being a guy thing.

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#59re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/9/06 at 4:24pm

Same here, but for a concert/revival of Carrie, I'd be more than willing to give it a shot.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#60re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/9/06 at 4:32pm

Heck, Dean Pitchford didn't even mention "Carrie" in his bio for "Footloose"!

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#61re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/9/06 at 5:32pm

There isn't a sentence in 'Footloose' that can match the power of 'Carrie's Act 1 closer!

I exchanged letters (how quaint) with Michael Gore on the subject of a UK revival. I got the sense he was moveable, but that it was Dean Pitchford who was determined to block.

There is no doubt that with work this could be a powerful musical drama, but after all the vitriol, I can understand why the appetite might not be there.

Over the Moon Profile Photo
Over the Moon
#62re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:27pm

any new word on this "supposed" Workshop?

AugustBurns2 Profile Photo
AugustBurns2
#63re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:41pm

OK...this doesn't have anything to do with the Broadway production of Carrie, but there is a great tounge-in-cheek musical version of Carrie. It's based more on the movie than the novel, but I think it's really fun. I wish I could have seen it, but alas I only bought the cast recording. It's actually very good! Here is the link to this hilarious theater company based in Chicago.

http://www.handbagproductions.org/history/scarrie/scarrie.shtml

myspace.com/robinsparkles

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#64re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:47pm

Someone told me that Scarrie was actually a reworked version of Carrie that was turned into a musical spoof rather than a serious subject, but they were obviously wrong.

I'm with Alice Ripley. Get her back on Broadway!

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

jensen11us2 Profile Photo
jensen11us2
#65re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/25/06 at 5:04pm

I almost creamed myself when I read this post. I am not even kidding. I own a copy of anything I could get my hands on from the orginal production: playbill, full production video, cast recording, and a jacket worn in the show by an original cast memember. I can't wait!

rocker05
#66re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/28/06 at 10:22pm

Not sure if this was posted yet, but this is an update from
westendartist taken from the West End board...

HEY GUYS MORE INFO ON CARRIES REVIVAL

THE WORKSHOP WILL TAKE PLACE IN LONDON IN AUGUST WITH A PLANNED OPENING OUT OF LONDON IN JANUARY

I HAVE MANAGED TO GET HOLD OF THE NEW ACT 1 SCRIPT (THOUGH IT WILL PROB KEEP CHANGING )BUT WOW

THE SCRIPT IS BLOODY GOOD WITH SOME AMAZING WRITING GOING ON THERE.THE FOCUS IS DEF MORE ON CARRIE AND HER MUM BUT THERE IS STILL A LOT FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL KIDS BUT THEY SEEM TO HAVE FOUND A GREAT BALANCE THE ACT I SONG LINE UP IS AS FOLLOWS

OVERTURE
AINT IT A BITCH(ENSEMBLE CHRIS SUE AND NORMA)
DEAR LORD(CARRIE)
UN NAMED SHOWER SCENE SONG(ENSEMBLECHRIS SUE AND NORMA AND CARRIE)
CARRIE
THE LIGHT THE GUIDES ME (MARGARET)
EVE WAS WEAK(MARGARET AND CARRIE)
DONT WASTE THE MOON (ENSEMBLE CHRIS BILLY SUE AND TOMMY)
EVEINING PRAYERS
UN NAMED ENGLISH CLASS SONG(TOMMY )
UNSUSPECTING HEARTS(MISS GARDNER AND CARRIE)
DO ME A FAVOUR(CHRIS BILLY SUE TOMMY AND ENSEMBLE)
REVENGE SO SWEET(CHRIS BILLY AND NORMA)
IVE BEEN INVITED TO THE PROM(CARRIE)
I REMEMBER HOW THOOSE BOYS COULD DANCE(MARGARET AND CARRIE)

COOL NEW SCENES INCLUDE SCENES IN THE HEADMASTERS OFFICE WHEN CARRIE MAKES THE TABLE MOVE,2 EXTRA SCENES AT HOME,ONE IN THE HIGH SCHOOL CORRIDOOR ,ENGLISH CLASS WITH TOMMYS POEM

ALL VERY WELL WRITTEN

AT THIS TIME THE SHOW IS DEF ON THE RIGHT TRACK

CARRIES POWERS ARE PUT TO GOOD USE IN ACT 1 AS WELL AND SHE LOOKS UP THE POWERS IN THE SCHOOL LIBARY SO THE AUDIENCE KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON THIS TIME

AND ACT 1 ENDS WITH CARRIE PINNING HER MUM TO THE WALL WITH THE FURNITURE IN THE ROOM AND MAKING ALL THE WINDOWS BANG CLOSE BEFORE HER HANDS SET A FLAME

I HAVE GOT MY AGENT TO PUT ME UP FOR THIS (DONT TELL FOOTLLOSE HAHA)

I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON WHAT LOOKS TO BE THE MOST EXCITING REVIVAL IN MANY YEARS

Thesbijean
#67re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:37pm

I dunno, I actually think "In" is a great opening song, and with some decent staging/choreogrpahy can be a great opening number.

rocker05
#68re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:45pm

I like some of the changes, and it looks like it has potential with the added scenes involving Margaret and Carrie, but it looks as though their trying to remove the campiness of the show which in some ways made it the cult-classic it was. I know many have said this before, I just wish some of it would stay the same, specifically "In", it's the perfect opener, it gets you ready for the craziness ahead, the lyrics might be cheesy, but the song is fun. I will really really miss "Out For Blood". The music was catchy even though the lyrics were.....really bad. If only some of the original cast would sign back on (specifically Betty Buckley). I really hope after it's London run, the producers will consider giving it a second chance on Broadway, after all, it has really created a following after it's 1988 closing. Sorry this was long, but "Carrie" is and will always be one of my favorite shows, mainly for it's pure craziness...and Betty Buckley.

Thesbijean
#69re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:48pm

I agree, I think if they can find a healthy theatrical balance of the camp with storytelling, it could really be a great show.

I love the movie, but even the film has some campy moments, but they are handled with care and really further the story and take the audience into what is going on, as opposed to making them laugh or shrug with confusion.

west end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
#70re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/30/06 at 11:59am

hey guys

im the guy whos been posting about carrie on the west end board(your board is soooooooo much more fun).Im glad to see you guys still remember carrie(what a great show in a bloody awfull stageing)fingers crossed the workshop goes well and it heads in to a production.
Just to clear up the whole trying to get rid of the camp thing let me tell you its soooooooooo not

I do agree that In was a great song but the replacement song is fun to with lyrics like

its rough,life is so hard
so tough when will the good times start
enough,growing up is always a hitch ,aint it a bitch

They also seem to have brought in Norma from the film whos very OTT

The replacement song for open your heart is very good(at least lyric wise coz i aint heard the music)and thank god Dream On has gone.

We have now heard the workshop has been moved till october

and as for Dean Pitchford not wanting anything to do with carrie well its true he has been standing in the way of a revival for years but must have caved(though his name doesnt appear on the script?)

really hope it works coz it had a rough time in new york (your critics were over mean to the show)

Over the Moon
#71re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/30/06 at 8:31pm

is "Aint it a Bitch" gonna work better then "In"?

thevolleyballer
#72re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/30/06 at 8:32pm

The first one wasn't even alive. It has to once have life if it's to be called a 'revival.' re: Carrie Revival?

Over the Moon
#73re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/30/06 at 8:45pm

true...true. Im glad "Don't Waste the Moon" is still in the musical i love that song!

west end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
#74re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/30/06 at 11:22pm

hey there

well as i say i havent heard the new music for aint it a bitch but an intresting fact is this was the original opening song choice for the original 88 production and i have heard that one and its still very camp but very high energy to(though a lot of the lyrics have changed since the original version of it)
As for this not been revival of course it is,carrie may not have had a huge run but after 18 years we are all still talking about it.
The lyrics in dont waste the moon have changed quite a bit especialy chris and billys parts.
Do me a favour lyrics have also been updated for the better
and they havent touched the lyrics to eve was weak and i remember how thoose boys could dance(thank god).
A few lines on unsuspecting hearts have been changed and the un named shower scene song(replacing dream on)has some great lyrics

it really does look like its on the right track

i will keep u posted

lol

westend

Videos