News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Carrie Revival?

ThePinballWizard Profile Photo
ThePinballWizard
#25re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 5:27pm

It's so funny because everyone is like why in the hell does she have powers like Superman? One of the things that went wrong with the show was that it treated her powers like a joke. In all reality they were scary. Carrie did not have complete control over her telekenesis nor did she understand why she had it. If she couldn't control them then I ask you why she was making her prom dress dance around and performing a tap dance with her shoes. THAT is what made the musical campy. It didn't take it seriously. Imagine how much darker it would be if it was just something not understood and scary. It would make things so much more dangerous. Don't exploit just tell the story.

"Isn't it strange that we spend most of our time learning to do what they put people in asylums for." - Jane Fonda on Acting

Danielm
#26re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 6:07pm

"And for the record Debbie Allen is an AMAZING dancer."

Maybe, but she's a terrible choreographer. Look at anything she did on FAME, or the Oscars, or for commercials or pretty much anything else. DON'T LET HER CHOREOGRAPH AGAIN.

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#27re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 8:25pm

Actually, back when I was watching the tv series "Fame," I would watch the dancing with all the leaping and thrusting "(did you ever notice that no one ever learned how to tap at that school) and I would wonder, "What sort of show are these kids ever going to be in?

And that sort of show was "Carrie".

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

Danielm
#28re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 3:38pm

LOL sondheimboy2. I came across some old videos of that show recently and found the dancing was even more ludicrous than I remembered.

The LA Times produced several short ads for movie theatres for the Calendar section where they had various film people doing their craft and talking about it. The had one "The Choreographer" that featured Debbie Allen running around screaming at and browbeating young dancers. Then they showed the peice she was working on (which was truly exemplary of Debbie's work) and Debbie looking on as though she had just had some sort of triumph of will. The theatres stopped showing it after a few times because audience members were booing and throwing things.

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

Over the Moon Profile Photo
Over the Moon
#29re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 3:39pm

Poor Debbie..........

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#30re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 4:58pm

Lets really hope this is true!! I would go audition for this in a second or go see the opening night because I LOVE THIS SHOW! Hopefully it comes to Broadway again with some fixes...Who ever designed the set of the original must have been snorting crack cocaine because it was truely awful. Also those chorus girls who look 35 - 40 really what were they thinking. If they are smart about things this show could go really well. Kinda a mix of Hairspray and Wicked, the girl that doesn't fit in and she has powers that she can't explain. Gets the guy in the end but then kills everyone. It makes me want to jump up and down when I saw this. I say let bring it to Broadway bring Linzi here for her 2nd shot at Broadway playing the mother!

Over the Moon
#31re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 4:59pm

i agree with you theatre boy!!! and does anyone know what Linzi has been up to lately?

BSoBW2
#32re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 5:00pm

Linzi is in Mary Poppins in London.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#33re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 5:01pm

Playing Mrs. Banks in "Mary Poppins"

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#34re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 5:08pm

She lef the production a few months ago and has since done another stint as Roxie in Chicago. No idea what is next for her but she always seems to be working!

Over the Moon
#35re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 5:08pm

thats good she is really a gifted singer i think

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#36re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 8:23pm

Those Carrie girls sure love being in Chicago!! I thought it was funny the 3 girl leads all did or are doing Chicago
-Linzi Hateley (West End)
-Charlotte d'Amboise, How many times has she returned?
-Sally Anne Triplett (West End)
-Lillias White (She was Mrs.Gardeners standby I thought I would add her in since she is playing Mama Morton right now)

Over the Moon
#37re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 8:27pm

HUH! its a sign! lol

Over the Moon
#38re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 8:27pm

HUH! its a sign! lol

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#39re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 8:37pm

I loved Barbara Cook's take on Roxie. She was phenomenal.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#40re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 10:42am

Let's Talk Casting! I'm thinking:

Carrie: Carly Jibson (she was overweight in the King book)
Mrs. White:Carolee Carmello
Miss Gardner: Brenda Braxton
Sue: Diana DeGarmo
Chris: Amy Spanger
Tommy: Barrett Foa
Billy: Usher (a bit of stunt casting, but he would guarantee that it would last more than a week)

What are your thoughts?

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#41re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 11:51am

love it

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#42re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 1:40pm

Carrie-Celia Keenan-Bolger
Margaret-Alice Ripley
Chris-Laura Bell Bundy
Miss Gardner-Natascia Diaz or Heather Headley
Tommy-Gavin Creel or Matt Morrison

tourboi
#43re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 2:20pm

Hmmm...

Carrie - An Unknown, like Linzi was at the time.

Margaret - Dee Hoty, or Louise Pitre (can you imagine Louise belting out "And Eve Was Weak"?! And the idea of Hoty singing "When There's No One" alone...*sigh*).

Ms. Gardner - Charlotte D'Amboise (hey, it'd be fun!)

Tommy - Christopher Hanke (I don't know why...but he's adorable, and his voice could do wonders to "Heaven" (assuming they don't cut it...please god NO)

Billy - I agree that stunt casting here might help, but please, anyone but Usher.

Chris - Also, maybe stunt casting? Mandy Moore might be fun. She's a great bad girl.

Sue - Celia Keenan Bolger

Thesbijean
#44re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 2:24pm

I think Marin Mazzie would TEAR UP the role of Ms. White...

BSoBW2
#45re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 2:32pm

Ms. Gardner's got to be a soul sistah.

(Could you imagine Elisabeth Whithers-Mendes!?)

Billy - Chestor Gregory.
Updated On: 5/4/06 at 02:32 PM

tourboi
#46re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 1:28am

Why does she have to be a soul sistah?

Laurie Beechman was the original Ms. Gardner in the workshop, and her shouting in "Ain't It A Bitch" is great.

-TourBoi, upset at the idea that IN has been cut. Compared to "Aint it a Bitch", "IN" is IMHO a much stronger opening number, and really (even though the lyrics are cheesy) emphasizes the pressure to fit in at high school, "...Bitch" conversely is just a big whine session. "IN" seems more character/plot driven.

sondwisenheimer Profile Photo
sondwisenheimer
#47re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 1:35am

Come on, let's be real about how theatre is cast these days. "Carrie" will be either Tara Reid or Kellie Pickler, and her mother will be Loni Anderson or Bruce Villanche.

BSoBW2
#48re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 2:31am

I know that.

And UNSUSPECTING HEARTS is a soul song. I heard Emily Skinner and Alice Ripley sing it. Good. But lacks the sould. GOTTA HAVE A SOUL, BABY!

And I agree. IN is better. Though most people seem to dislike it - it is a great little diddy to begin the show. Updated On: 5/5/06 at 02:31 AM

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#49re: Carrie Revival?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 8:42am

YES!!! I HAVE BEEN DYING TO SEE THIS!

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

Videos