News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Drama Desk nominations

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#100Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 10:38pm

"That is not a stat that you want to be remembered for."

...why? 5 times nominated is better than being at this for years and never being nominated or recognized at all. 

Not everyone can be an Audra. And personally, having seen O'Hara in TK&I, I am sorry to say that I don't think this is her year yet either. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#101Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 10:38pm

"Maybe the nominators here are taking into account the fact that Kelli is a guarantee for a Tony nomination, and a pretty great chance for a win... so they are choosing to recognize other wonderful women and their performances this season."

Stop being ridiculous.  You know very well that's not how this works.

Or maybe, just maybe... not everyone is drop-dead in love with Kelli *shocker*

We get it, you don't like Kelli.  Move on.

The biggest case of the snubs this season is Alysha Umphress from On The Town. The fact that she has yet to be recognized blows my mind. Hopefully it'll all pay off with a featured Tony nod, though. "

Umphress was the WORST part of On the Town for me.  I found her bland bland bland. Yes she can sing, but she brought no characterization to the role other than "I do a NY accent."  Both Fairchild and Stanley (and honestly Jackie Hoffman) deserve to be recognized before Umphress.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#102Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 10:42pm

""Maybe the nominators here are taking into account the fact that Kelli is a guarantee for a Tony nomination, and a pretty great chance for a win... so they are choosing to recognize other wonderful women and their performances this season."
Stop being ridiculous.  You know very well that's not how this works.

So if it doesn't work that way, the nominating committee just didn't find her performance worthy of a nomination? Because this is something based on the opinions of a small group, and not based on objective facts?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#103Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 10:42pm

"...why? 5 times nominated is better than being at this for years and never being nominated or recognized at all. 

I know a lot of people who would disagree with that.

"Not everyone can be an Audra."

What a dumb thing to say. Nobody is saying she should be Audra and have 6 Tonys. But there are people who feel she should be recognized at least once.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#104Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 10:44pm

So if it doesn't work that way, the nominating committee just didn't find her performance worthy of a nomination? Because this is something based on the opinions of a small group, and not based on objective facts? 

Givesmevoice, I can't tell if your sarcasm is directed at me or at GreasedLightning. But yes, I would say the nominating committee didn't find her performance worthy of a nomination.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#105Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 10:45pm

Alright. 

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#106Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 11:26pm

I think what Jordan was trying to say is that the role of Anna is so iconic and memorable to theatregoers (and, evidently, the nominators) that they didn't feel like they were seeing anything too different up on that stage. It's true that there are other actresses in revivals this season, but those roles aren't as known and revered as the role of Anna. I unfortunately haven't seen this production of The King and I and most likely will not be able to catch it, but I'm assuming from word-of-mouth that, in the nominators' minds, Kelli, while wonderful, wasn't doing anything much different from any other actresses who have played the role previously. The nominators may have been thinking, "This is nice and charming, but this has already been rewarded a few times before. Let's consider something else this time."

Either way, she's one of the frontrunners for the Tony, so this thing will probably completely blow over come Tuesday.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 4/23/15 at 11:26 PM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#107Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 11:42pm

I don't think anyone was confused about what Jordan was saying.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#108Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 11:47pm

Either way, I think it's cool how Lin-Manuel Miranda was nominated for four awards. Has that happened before?

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#109Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 11:57pm

Trey Parker was nominated for 4 in 2011 for Book of Mormon (technically 5 if you count Best Musical as he was a producer of the show too).  He won 3 of them (4 if you include Best Musical).

Updated On: 4/24/15 at 11:57 PM

Videos