News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Drama Desk nominations

ebontoyan
#50Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:00pm

Where is everyone's fave 'Fun Home'??! Was it not eligible??

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#51Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:01pm

^no, it was eligible last year. 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#52Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:02pm

Just…… I just....

got nothin'. 

undercoveractor Profile Photo
undercoveractor
#53Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:04pm

I would love for Clyde Alves to get some awards love. He was great in OTT! He nailed that part. Big and wacky without making it seem forced.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#54Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:04pm

Drama Desk Statement on Fun Home:

Fun Home was considered in its run at the Public Theatre in the 2013-14 season. It received nominations for Outstanding Musical, Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical, Outstanding Director of a Musical, Outstanding Music, Outstanding Lyrics and Outstanding Book of a Musical.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#55Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:06pm

Add me to the list of "shocked" that Kelli O'Hara was snubbed.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#56Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:06pm

"Why when people on here don't agree with the nominations do they call out the awards been a joke? "

There are certain nominations I don't agree with that I also don't consider a joke.  But when frontrunners are overlooked, that is absolutely a joke.  Like I don't agree with Julie Halston getting in over Patricia Clarkson, but I don't consider that a joke.  It's a packed category.  But when Erin Davie (who was inferior to Emily Padgett in her own show) gets a spot over Kelli O'Hara, who many people expected to win, that's a joke.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#57Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:09pm

The lack of nominations for Kelli O'Hara and Ruthie Ann Miles ... among several other very puzzling choices absolutely diminishes the credibility of this entire thing. Seriously?!

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#58Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:09pm

I'm surprised that one of the Side Show twins got nominated at all, but since one of them was nominated, I'm glad and unsurprised that it was Davie. She may not have belted like Padgett did, but her vocal performance fit the character well, and I thought Davie's acting was better than Padgett's 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#59Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:10pm

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think the Outer Critics Circle did a better job than the Drama Desks this year. 

broadwayfan24
#60Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:14pm

Kelli O'Hara is NOT nominated?

Drama Desk nominations will be announced today

neonlightsxo
#61Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:15pm

Both the Outer Critics and Drama Desks have always been weird and questionable. This year is no different.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#62Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:16pm

Henrik,

Silverman's role is pretty much the same size as it was in the original.

....but the world goes 'round

MyLife
#63Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:18pm

I'm happy for Andy Blankenbuehler's special award but does that make him ineligible for Outstanding Choreography? 

"To Andy Blankenbuehler for his inspired and heart-stopping choreography in Hamilton, which is indispensible to the musical's storytelling. His body of work is versatile, yet a dynamic and fluid style is consistently evident. When it's time to "take his shot," Blankenbuehler hits the bull's-eye."

To me this reads as, Hamilton deserves the award for Outstanding Choreography even though it wasn't nominated so whichever choreographer wins this award this year will a nice big asterisk next to his or her name.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#65Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:22pm

Yes, the earlier the award, the wonkier the nominations are. It's the same every year.

The Outer Critics are the most bizarre, then the Drama Desks, and by the Tonys, they mostly get it close.

Even with that, Kelli not getting a nomination is very messed up.

Here are your culprits:

NOMINATING COMMITTEE, 2014-15

Barbara Siegel, Chairperson; author; freelance critic

Ben Coleman, Literary Associate, Samuel French, Inc.; dramaturg

Adrian Dimanlig, "Interludes" at www.adriandimanlig.com

Steve Garrin, broadcast producer; sound designer

Mahayana Landowne, director; interactive artist

Steve Marsh, Director of Graduate Studies, Stony Brook University, Dept. of Theatre Arts 

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#66Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:29pm

I wonder what Corine's Corner thinks of these nominations!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#67Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:31pm

Six nominators? Why bother? Such a joke.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#68Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:34pm

And who the f*&k are they?

MNC77
#69Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:39pm

When is the final Tony nomination meeting? I'm interested in seeing where they place some of the actors, especially John Cariani, Christian Borle and Julie White.

rjm516
#70Drama Desk nominations will be announced today

Wait, really? There are only 6 nominators? So there actually IS a chance that none of them saw The King & I. Do they just sit in a room and pick their choices like over lunch? This is so weird. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#71Drama Desk nominations will be announced today

Yes, Kelli being snubbed, scandal, scandal, raise the pitchforks. But come on. She's getting the Tony nod, and a lot of performances and shows, on Broadway or so off-Broadway they're in Bushwick, even things that opened last summer, got acknowledgment they wouldn't otherwise.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/23/15 at 03:39 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#72Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:42pm

Never heard of one of those committee members.  The big Winner is THE PUBLIC THEATRE, with HAMILTON here and FUN HOME on Broadway, they are on a roll.

I went back and read the list a few times thinking I just didn't see Kelli's name, now that's ridiculous.

Actriz2
#73Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:44pm

Was Constellations eligible? If yes, it was entirely shut out.

MegInManhattan
#74Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:49pm

Also pretty surprising no "You Can't Take It With You" for best play revival.

Videos