News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Drama Desk nominations

aj88
#75Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:50pm

First of all, I am also floored with the snub of Kelli O'Hara and also the surge for Side Show, particularly the surprise nom for Ryan Silverman...and I preferred Emily Padgett to Erin Davie.

Oh and now Elizabeth Stanley is nominated instead of Alysha Umphress?! At least it wasn't Megan Fairchild this time.

neonlightsxo
#76Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 3:51pm

I'm sure they all saw The King and I, they get tickets to everything.

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#77Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 4:02pm

Goose Egged (Broadway): 

Constellations

The Country House

A Delicate Balance

Doctor Zhivago

Fish In The Dark

The Heidi Chronicles

Holler If Ya Hear Me

Living On Love

Love Letters

The Real Thing

The River

This Is Our Youth

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 4/23/15 at 04:02 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#78Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 4:15pm

The fact that Atomic got any nominations is beyond me.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#79Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 4:26pm

Personally, I'm very happy that John Douglas Thompson is getting special recognition. I feel very lucky to have seen both Tamburlaine and The Iceman Cometh this year, and he was spectacular in both of them. In fact, I'm glad Tamburlaine was remembered at all, it was a great production of a rarely seen play. Also very surprised to see Julie Halston here- she was wonderful in You Can't Take it With You, but her role was so small I didn't expect her to be remember. 

I am surprised that An Octoroon wasn't nominated for Best Play, since the score and set were both deservedly nominated. But overall I don't really think these nominations are as crazy as people are making them out to be.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#80Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 4:35pm

Was Kelli really "snubbed"? Or was her performance in a role we've all seen done a thousand times before not enough to outshine other actresses, a lot in much newer works? I'm not saying she wasn't great, but it's not like she invented the wheel with her portrayal of Anna.

neonlightsxo
#81Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 4:36pm

I'm with you Jordan, 100%. Give me Kate Baldwin any day.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#82Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 4:38pm

Just reading through the nominations again and noticed that Deliverance received 4 well-deserved nominations. I don't know how many of you saw it, but I thought it was a really impressive and engaged work of minimalism. There was no set, so they relied heavily sound design on lighting effects to set the scene (but never used projections), and the direction was very careful and intricate. Glad it was remembered.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#83Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 4:57pm

Its ridiculous to think 6 people can fairly come up with a slate of nominees that includes Broadway and Off Broadway the number of possible nominees had to be staggering. It would be interesting to understand their process. 

Up In One

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#84Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 4:59pm

"Was Kelli really "snubbed"? Or was her performance in a role we've all seen done a thousand times before not enough to outshine other actresses, a lot in much newer works? I'm not saying she wasn't great, but it's not like she invented the wheel with her portrayal of Anna."

I get what you're saying, but it is considered a snub when someone who was expected to be in contention for the award isn't even nominated. I'm not saying the others weren't great (they were all wonderful including my beloved Kate Baldwin), but it's still shocking that someone who received the word of mouth that Kelli did would be overlooked.

Steve721
#85Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 5:02pm

"Was Kelli really "snubbed"? Or was her performance in a role we've all seen done a thousand times before not enough to outshine other actresses, a lot in much newer works? I'm not saying she wasn't great, but it's not like she invented the wheel with her portrayal of Anna."

Yes, Kelli was snubbed, by any definition of that word.  You may not have been impressed with her work (if in fact you've seen the show at all), but the critics certainly were.  And to think that actors should only be nominated for "newer works" is frankly absurd.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#86Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 5:10pm

I have seen the show. And I thought she was wonderful. What does that have to do with anything?

Steve721
#87Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 5:17pm

"I have seen the show. And I thought she was wonderful. What does that have to do with anything?"

In the context of awards, people use the term "snubbed" to mean someone who was expected to get a nom but didn't.  And given that definition, I don't see how anyone can logically make a case that Kelli wasn't snubbed.  She got glowing reviews and pretty much everyone who knows anything about the DD awards expected her to be nominated.  And I have no doubt she will be nominated for a Tony.

nxt2bridges
#88Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 5:23pm

Jordan: your argument is invalid in the sense that 4 of the nominated 6 actresses in that category are in revivals or are not creating new characters [see: american in paris]

Updated On: 4/23/15 at 05:23 PM

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#89Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 5:36pm

yeah its a snub because Kelli is fabulous in The King and I, and she's been around a long time. But whatever i mean people always get snubbed sooo

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#90Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 6:00pm

"yeah its a snub because Kelli is fabulous in The King and I, and she's been around a long time. But whatever i mean people always get snubbed sooo"

How long she's been around should have nothing to do with getting a nomination or an awardddd

aaanndd did you even see the shoowwww? 

And I agree with Jordan... Kelli's great in the King and I, and I personally loved her.  But it is also true that while the critics admired her performance, it isn't any kind of redefining of the role or anything that sets it apart, like, say, Donna Murphy's performance in the same role.  Kelli - again I am a HUGE fan - does exactly what you'd expect her to do with it - well acted and well sung.

Surprising that she's not nominated, but not really outrageous, either.

matildathemiracle2 Profile Photo
matildathemiracle2
#91Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 6:23pm

Out of all the ladies in OTT, I wish it had been Alyssha Umphreyes getting a nod.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#92Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 6:47pm

The Kelli snub is completely baffling. I thought Leanne Cope was lovely in An American in Paris, I even think she could sneak into the Tony category. But no way does she deserve a slot over Kelli O'Hara, who should win the award. (Kate Baldwin, on the other hand, is a welcome addition to the category thanks to the inclusion of off-Broadway eligibility.) Well, this happened to Patina Miller a couple years back, and we know how that eventually turned out.

I see Hamilton sweeping almost cleanly in the musical categories and Broadway overtaking all other categories, as per usual. 

Happy to see The Lion acknowledged. Wish it were included in Outstanding Music as well, but happy to see its lyrics and production/performance recognized.

After Eight
#93Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 6:49pm

Very happy that Matthew Morrison was nominated for his thoughtful and understanding performance. I hope he wins.

Thrilled Kristin Griffith was nominated for her wonderful work in the delightful revival of The Fatal Weakness. I hope she wins too.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#94Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 6:57pm

It actually occurred to me today that if Kelli is nominated for a Tony and loses again this year, she will stand alone as the most-nominated actress to not have won at 6 tries.  She's currently tied with Jan Maxwell, Dana Ivey, and Estelle Parsons at 5 tries.  That is not a stat that you want to be remembered for.

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#95Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 7:20pm

Really surprised about Kelli O'Hara. Not only has she never won a Tony, but she hadn't received any major acting award for her Broadway performances.

Even though she's not on this list, that doesn't mean anything for the Tony's. Lena Hall wasn't nominated for a Drama Desk and walked home with a Tony last June. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#96Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 7:26pm

"Even though she's not on this list, that doesn't mean anything for the Tony's. Lena Hall wasn't nominated for a Drama Desk and walked home with a Tony last June. "

And Laura Osnes won the Drama Desk for Cinderella, but lost to Patina Miller at the Tonys. That Patina snub was confusing as well.

But, the Kelli Snub is BS.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#97Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 10:19pm

I love Kelli as much as anyone, but I don't think this is necessarily one of her best performances (those in BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY and LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA are far more interesting and more challenging). Not that she doesn't belong on the list, but it's hardly time for a "career" award. Sure she will get a Tony nomination, but Kristen and Chita are the real winners this season, imo. And thankfully, the Drama Desk nominations make a lot more sense than the Outer Space ones.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#98Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 10:25pm

Do they, though?  I don't agree.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#99Drama Desk nominations will be announced today
Posted: 4/23/15 at 10:33pm

"yeah its a snub because Kelli is fabulous in The King and I, and she's been around a long time. But whatever i mean people always get snubbed sooo"

Last time I checked, you don't get nominated for being "fabulous" or from being "around a long time." 

I'm with Jordan on this one. Maybe the nominators here are taking into account the fact that Kelli is a guarantee for a Tony nomination, and a pretty great chance for a win... so they are choosing to recognize other wonderful women and their performances this season. Lord knows there have been enough of them. Or maybe, just maybe... not everyone is drop-dead in love with Kelli *shocker*

The biggest case of the snubs this season is Alysha Umphress from On The Town. The fact that she has yet to be recognized blows my mind. Hopefully it'll all pay off with a featured Tony nod, though. 

Videos