News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Female Theatre Critics in 2024

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#1Female Theatre Critics in 2024
Posted: 3/16/24 at 9:57am

Looking at some of the reviews of The Notebook made me wonder if like the movie was considered a 'chick-flick' (maybe an outdated term?) that it also might have been better received by female critics.

Who is writing these days that I should be following? 

MemorableUserName
#2Female Theatre Critics in 2024
Posted: 3/16/24 at 10:26am

Sara Holdren at Vulture is my favorite critic working today. Even when I don't agree with her, I enjoy her writing. She did review The Notebook. She hated it.

https://www.vulture.com/article/theater-reviews-the-notebook-the-effect.html

MemorableUserName
#3Female Theatre Critics in 2024
Posted: 3/16/24 at 10:29am

Helen Shaw at the New Yorker, who used to be at Vulture in between Holdren's stints, is also great, but since the New Yorker publishes weekly, she doesn't publish as much.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/helen-shaw

MemorableUserName
#4Female Theatre Critics in 2024
Posted: 3/16/24 at 11:16am

Elysa Gardner at the NY Sun is often good, but their site is frequently behind a paywall.

https://www.nysun.com/author/elysa-gardner

She also didn't like The Notebook.

Updated On: 3/16/24 at 11:16 AM

Zeppie2022
#5Female Theatre Critics in 2024
Posted: 3/16/24 at 11:50am

Elisabeth Vincentelli is not the main NY Times theater critic, but she does review some shows for them. It was much better when she was theater critic at NY Post.

bwaypotato
#6Female Theatre Critics in 2024
Posted: 3/16/24 at 11:59am

Girl here. I’m not a chick flick kind of girl and have little to no interest in love story musicals. And little to no interest in seeing The Notebook. That said, gender shouldn’t matter on who reviews shows and how it is received. If the show is good, it will get good reviews. If it’s bad, then bad reviews. Doesn’t matter the critics gender. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Female Theatre Critics in 2024
Posted: 3/16/24 at 12:02pm

Elisabeth Vincentelli, Laura Collins-Hughes, Maya Phillips, Brittani Samuel, Aramide Tinubu, Emlyn Travis, Jan Simpson, Melissa Bernardo, and Hayley Levitt all review shows regularly. Has Marilyn Stasio retired from Variety? The last show she reviewed was DANCIN.

A number of the people above are second-string or freelance critics, so naturally they're not going to review every show.

The key to assigning critics to shows is not pre-judging the show. The mark of a successful work is that it should transcend its "target audience" and appeal to those who aren't predetermined to love it. SIX and CONSTITUTION and JAJA'S AFRICAN HAIR BRAIDING are, one could argue, even more female-centric than NOTEBOOK and they got raves from critics of all genders.

Updated On: 3/16/24 at 12:02 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8Female Theatre Critics in 2024
Posted: 3/16/24 at 2:40pm

macbeth said: "Looking at some of the reviews of The Notebook made me wonder if like the movie was considered a 'chick-flick' (maybe an outdated term?) that it also might have been better received by female critics.

Who is writing these days that I should be following?
"

This also implies that females could overlook the show's many flaws because of their gender. A bit insulting.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

VintageSnarker
#9Female Theatre Critics in 2024
Posted: 3/16/24 at 8:05pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The key to assigning critics to shows is not pre-judging the show. The mark of a successful work is that it should transcend its "target audience" and appeal to those who aren't predetermined to love it. SIX and CONSTITUTION and JAJA'S AFRICAN HAIR BRAIDING are, one could argue, even more female-centric than NOTEBOOK and they got raves from critics of all genders."

Unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world and bias can definitely play a role in why some critics dislike shows. I second Sara Holdren and Helen Shaw. I tried to read 3Views but I prefer timely reviews on shows I might see or have seen.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Where-Are-All-of-the-Female-Theatre-Critics-20221111

"Men have the whole society -- our society is built as a patriarchy -- and I do believe the higher up you are on whatever power ladder, the harder it is to see," Mfoniso Udofia, who said she does not read her own reviews, stated. "It's so difficult when the whole society is built around you and your gaze to understand that the reason why you might not like something is, it is not for you."

"That kind of power is like blindness and then from that point you can't really critique," Udofia added. "You're not listening anymore, because there's the assumption that it should be made for you and it should make sense to you."

BoringBoredBoard40
#10Female Theatre Critics in 2024
Posted: 3/16/24 at 8:07pm

Most of the female critics also hated The Notebook so I doubt it would have mattered much who was reviewing the show per outlet... 

Videos