News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Gotta Get A Gimmick from Gypsy

Stephgimmickfan67
#1Gotta Get A Gimmick from Gypsy
Posted: 4/27/23 at 6:58pm

In my mind I seen the 1962 film Gypsy whereas Electra was a Christmas tree in most productions her costume is blue and it has light bulbs in the films both 1962 and 1993 versions and in most productions Mazeppa was a gladiator and Tessie Tura was a butterfly in the 2008 production Mazeppa was Paul Revere and in the 2003 production Tessie Tura was Swan Lake

I am trying to get three of my friends to play the strippers but what costumes could we use?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2Gotta Get A Gimmick from Gypsy
Posted: 4/27/23 at 7:18pm

Part of the fun of the number is seeing how the costumes are interpreted. You get a lot of creative leeway, really- the only requirements are that Mazeppa must have a trumpet, Electra must have electric lights, and Tessie must have something graceful. 

If you’re doing this in a production, then you’ve got the constraint of the time period. But if you’re doing it in a revue or concert or something, you can basically do whatever you like with the costumes as long as they sync up with each gimmick. Mazeppa could be a soldier from any era or a marching band player or a fox hunter. Electra could reference anything from Christmas trees to the Vegas strip (which would be a fun visual pun). Tessie could be a butterfly or a ballerina or a ribbon dancer. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/27/23 at 07:18 PM

Stephgimmickfan67
#3Gotta Get A Gimmick from Gypsy
Posted: 4/27/23 at 7:22pm

This is for a party that three of my female friends Donna, Judy and Wendy are doing

Donna-Trumpet

Judy-Christmas Lights

Wendy-Butterfly

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4Gotta Get A Gimmick from Gypsy
Posted: 4/27/23 at 9:29pm

Stephgimmickfan67 said: "This is for a party that three of my female friends Donna, Judy and Wendy are doing

Donna-Trumpet

Judy-Christmas Lights

Wendy-Butterfly
"

You ARE aware that none of us knows who Donna, Judy, or Wendy are, right?  cheeky

Stephgimmickfan67
#5Gotta Get A Gimmick from Gypsy
Posted: 4/28/23 at 11:04am

They are my friends

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Gotta Get A Gimmick from Gypsy
Posted: 4/28/23 at 11:28am

Yes, but that has nothing to with the help you are asking for.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#7Gotta Get A Gimmick from Gypsy
Posted: 4/28/23 at 12:30pm

People, for Christ's sake, she's looking for costume recommendations and where to get them. Is it so hard to parse that out?

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Broadway61004
#8Gotta Get A Gimmick from Gypsy
Posted: 4/28/23 at 12:53pm

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "People, for Christ's sake, she's looking for costume recommendations and where to get them. Is it so hard to parse that out?"

I guess you missed his post in the other thread about his "three female friends coming over to perform just for him".

Stephgimmickfan67
#9Gotta Get A Gimmick from Gypsy
Posted: 4/28/23 at 6:34pm

Broadway61004 said: "g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "People, for Christ's sake, she's looking for costume recommendations and where to get them. Is it so hard to parse that out?"

I guess you missed his post in the other thread about his "three female friends coming over to perform just for him".
"

Sorry about that one

Dollypop
#10Gotta Get A Gimmick from Gypsy
Posted: 4/29/23 at 8:36pm

Broadway61004 said: "g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "People, for Christ's sake, she's looking for costume recommendations and where to get them. Is it so hard to parse that out?"

"

Oh no! It's not going to be one of THOSE performances, is it?????

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Videos