News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Les Miserables

ariel0098 Profile Photo
ariel0098
#0Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:25pm

There has been feud about this between some friends. Is it pronounced Ley Miz or Ley Mizerab? Ley Mizerab makes more sense to me.

bwayfan215
#1re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:25pm

les miz is a "nickname"

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#2re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:26pm

"lay miz" is the nickname. The show is pronounced (phonetically) "lay mizairableh"

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

ariel0098 Profile Photo
ariel0098
#3re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:30pm

Thanks cause people said the actual way to pronounce it was Lay Miz but, I was thinking there's way to many extra letters for the pronunciation (sp?) to be so short.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#4re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:27pm

It's not lay misreableh, it's lay misrab

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#5re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:28pm

Is it really? I've always pronounced it Les Miserab, leaving off the last syllable, as I thought it was in the French. It sounds weird to me to say it Miserableh. Which is why I stick to Les Mis, I guess.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#6re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:29pm

I used to have a teacher in high school who pronounced it Las Mazarab. Seriously. We'd have a hard time keeping from laughing every time she said it.

JayKid Profile Photo
JayKid
#7re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:32pm

for everyone... http://www.lesmis.com/inspiration/pronounce/

It's Les Miz-eh-rahb... no bleh at the end. Most of you are right.

And there are the rest of the ways to pronounce everything in the whole damn show. You can even listen to it all!!

Anyway, hope that helps you guys... :)

forget regret <3 Profile Photo
forget regret <3
#8re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:33pm

lol re: Les Miserables i also believe it is pronounced lay mizerab.

"forget regret <3, I love your post.....you give me hope for the next generation!" -Elphaba

JayKid Profile Photo
JayKid
#9re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:37pm

Well, there is no guessing anymore because I'm 100% sure it's Miz Eh Rahb...

Cuz that's like the official website or at least one of the biggest les mis websites. I used it back when I wanted to learn to pronounce all the students names, lol.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#10re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 4:51pm

Julie Andrews says "Lay Miserablah." It always angered me because I always thought it was lay miserab

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Sant
#11re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 4:52pm

Actually that 'l' (= L) IS pronounced.

In singular it is MISERABLE, when the last 'e' is silent.

In plural the word is MISERABLES, and 'es' is silent. Or half-silent, 'es' is kind of "swallowed".

LES is pronounced 'leh', s is silent.

So, 'leh miserabl' is pretty much how you pronounce it.

After 12 years of studying French... re: Les Miserables
Updated On: 8/17/05 at 04:52 PM

mrcacou Profile Photo
mrcacou
#12re: Les Miserables
Posted: 8/17/05 at 5:06pm

Indeed we (frogs) pronounce it somehow between Bleh and Bl. Actually it s more like lay Meesayrabl.

In my heart, I found the answered dream, and in my soul I found the song, and in my friends I found the magic, the love, the moon up above- they were mine, all mine, all along..!

Videos