News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

London - mid March 2023

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#25London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/30/23 at 3:21pm

Jordan Catalano said: "See, I enjoyed “2:22”! I never see anything scary done well on stage and I thought this was mostly successful at creating something genuinely creepy with an ending I honestly didn’t expect."

I don't regret seeing it. My biggest pet peeve is that there was a masterful piece in there somewhere that got taken over by a crowd pleaser. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

The Scorpion
#26London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/30/23 at 5:55pm

Definitely Cabaret. I can't think of much else musical-theatre-wise that is a must and that would be on in March.

Streetcar is fine (same director as Cabaret) but it's not a production for the ages. The strength of the show is more in the writing itself than any of the particular performances or the actors, IMHO. 

2:22 is a lot of fun. And if you haven't seen it and it's still on then, do go and check out one of the long-runners, The Woman in Black, before it ends its 3-decade run.

Would also check out what's at the Bridge, Almeida, Donmar, or National at that time (though the first three venues can be hard to get tickets to depending on the popularity of the production).

yyys
#27London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/31/23 at 8:31am

Streetcar ticket secured. That was stressful.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#28London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/31/23 at 10:56am

I’m praying “Streetcar” can extend by just one week. 

yyys
#29London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/1/23 at 1:32pm

Hopefully..it sold out in 2 hrs.

Jordan Catalano said: "I’m praying “Streetcar” can extend by just one week."

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#30London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/1/23 at 4:03pm

yyys said: "Hopefully..it sold out in 2 hrs.

Jordan Catalano said: "I’m praying “Streetcar” can extend by just one week."

"

I hope a film release or transfer happens. Impossible to get a ticket.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jordan Catalano
#31London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/1/23 at 5:14pm

I got early access with my membership to the Almeida and was just so pissed that it starts right after I leave and ends right before I’m back.

yyys
#32London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/1/23 at 5:45pm

oh no, you can't change your flight?!

Jordan Catalano said: "I got early access with my membership to the Almeida and was just so pissed that it starts right after I leave and ends right before I’m back."

PipingHotPiccolo
#33London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/1/23 at 7:19pm

Ill be in London in February for 3 short days- was hoping to see Cabaret or 2:22, and will almost definitely see Alex Edelman's show since I missed it in NY and my friends will want to see it. Anything else thats a must-see and is unlikely to come to NY?

Jordan Catalano
#34London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/1/23 at 7:38pm

Yyys said: "oh no, you can't change your flight?!”

If it were a matter of just changing a flight, I would have done it but sadly my schedule is day-to-day booked solid which makes any kind of shifting, especially by a week, impossible. London - mid March 2023

And Piccolo, if you’ll be there this month and want productions that (likely) won’t here transferring here, you might check out the new production of “Newsies”, “Sylvia”, “Bake Off” (opens on 2/25) and if you like immersive stuff definitely check out “The Burnt City”.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#35London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/2/23 at 8:50am

yyys said: "Streetcar ticket secured. That was stressful."

Lucky, I tried to no avail.

yyys
#36London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/2/23 at 9:41am

I only got lucky because of a 2nd presale that was sent around 1 PM London time the day before. I saw it on the story Kit Kat Club's instagram page.

blaxx said: "yyys said: "Streetcar ticket secured. That was stressful."

Lucky, I tried to no avail.
"

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#37London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/2/23 at 12:57pm

Wonder if there are reputable sites with resale tickets.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#38London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/8/23 at 4:56pm

yyys said: "Thanks Jordan...Standing at the Sky’s Edge sounds interesting!"

Standing at the Sky's Edge has a very ambitious book that starts with three different stories at three different points in time and, as the stories progress and time changes (not necessarily forwards), they begin to overlap with one another - there's a lot going on and audiences need to have their wits about them. It also uses the building in which the drama takes place as a metaphor for state-of-the-nation during the six decades over which the drama takes place. So it could be seen to be inspired by both the books of both Follies and Merrily but there the Sondheim comparisons end: the show is a jukebox musical of songs from the solo career of a former Pulp musician and the lyrics are not integrated into the story but could be seen as poetry of the characters' souls. There are a couple of great jokes about football time rivalry and a locally produced condiment that may not be understood more widely but the show has been the talk of the city in the two runs it has had at Sheffield's Crucible Theatre. I'd definitely see it again and expect it to get a slew of great reviews when it opens at the National.

Updated On: 2/8/23 at 04:56 PM

Jordan Catalano
#39London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/8/23 at 5:04pm

Seeing it in 3 weeks - I can’t wait!

yyys
#40London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/8/23 at 5:52pm

Thanks for that review. I'm excited.... I read somewhere that the cast album is going to be released this coming Monday.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#41London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/8/23 at 11:25pm

Does anyone here know how cancelation lines work in the West End (Little Life, Streetcar)?

I don't feel like camping all day long, does each theatre have their own rules?

Updated On: 2/9/23 at 11:25 PM

Jordan Catalano
#42London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/8/23 at 11:33pm

I don’t know how that would work. But I’d recommend posting on Theatreboard.co.uk and asking - they’ll definitely know. :)

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#43London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/9/23 at 12:02am

Jordan Catalano said: "I don’t know how that would work. But I’d recommend posting on Theatreboard.co.uk and asking - they’ll definitely know. :)"

Awesome, thanks!

JasonC3
#44London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/15/23 at 1:47am

One thing on this trip that has sort of amazed me is that not a single London theatre has scanned my ticket for entry.  Some haven't even looked at it or asked me about it.  I walk in and I sit down.

I haven't been here since the pandemic so I honestly can't recall if this was the case previously.

You think of the god-awful lines outside most Broadway theaters in contrast to this.

yyys
#45London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/16/23 at 9:26am

They barely looked at vax cards when I visited in Nov 2021?

JasonC3 said: "One thing on this trip that has sort of amazed me is that not a single London theatre has scanned my ticket for entry. Some haven't even looked at it or asked me about it. I walk in and I sit down.

I haven't been here since the pandemic so I honestly can't recall if this was the case previously.

You think of the god-awful lines outside most Broadway theaters in contrast to this.
"

Updated On: 2/16/23 at 09:26 AM

Jordan Catalano
#46London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/16/23 at 10:11am

Which shows aren’t scanning tickets? Can’t say I've ever experienced that before. 

JasonC3
#47London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/16/23 at 10:24am

None of these shows scanned for the performance I attended (or at least they didn't scan me and I did not see anyone scanning).

Alex Edelman Just For Us (Menier Chocolate Factory); Sunday matinee

Best of Enemies (Noel Coward); Monday evening

Romeo and Julie (Dorfman, National); Tuesday evening

Jordan Catalano
#48London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/16/23 at 10:29am

Odd about “Enemies”, they’re really strict with security etc there. But yes now that you mention it I guess they don’t scan at the National. I don’t think I’d ever fully realized that! 

yyys
#49London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/17/23 at 1:12pm

Have to decide between Les Mis or Bonnie and Clyde.  Not too familiar with B&C. 

Videos