News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RAUL ESPARZA?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#375Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 2:07pm

I don't know if that was sarcastic or not, so I'm going to leave it alone.

BroadwayDiva, I think the Taboo documentary was supposed to be shown on Rosie's cruise. Someone told me it was going to be shown somewhere in late September, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while. I think some of it is stuff that Rosie taped during rehearsals, and that kind of thing. I'm really excited to see it. And I guess Taboo was kind of geared toward a limited audience. It had a lot of problems, too. I loved it, but I can see why it wasn't well-liked in general.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

insomniak
#376Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 2:38pm

Yeah, Taboo has a limited appeal, and it's not the thing that most tourist families go to NYC to see. Shows need a wide audience to survive.

Mr. Esparza, in the unlikely event that you are reading this, please don't be too scared. I live nowhere near New York and thus can not stalk you. There's no need to be afraid.

luvtheEmcee
#377Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 2:40pm

lol insomniak!!

I remember the day I went to buy my Taboo tickets. My dad was driving, and he stopped to drop me off at the box office. He was like "Taboo? What's this?" I told him and he goes "WHY would you EVER pay money to see Boy George?" Case in point.

Updated On: 8/9/04 at 02:40 PM

insomniak
#378Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 2:46pm

I don't actually know who Boy George is...

But if for no other reason, the ticket price is worth it to see Raul in a dress! And goth/punk drag queens are hot.

luvtheEmcee
#379Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 2:47pm

Well Raul in a dress I did *not* see, sadly. He was sick.
You don't know who Boy George is? Get researching, kid!

Thoroughly Modern Cara Profile Photo
Thoroughly Modern Cara
#380Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 2:49pm

wow I can't believe this thread got bumped up again! I thought for sure it was done after last night! Ohh well I think we should just forget about that and go back to the Raul love!

So yeah as much as I love Taboo, I can understand why people would be apprehensive about it. It's not the ideal family show, by any means! But people were definitely a little too judgemental though. I realize that it's not the first show one would think of when coming to the city but it should not have been totally brushed aside. There were problems, but there were many good things about it, including a wonderfully talented cast(no I'm not just talking about Raul, but yes him too)!

luvtheEmcee
#381Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 2:50pm

Yup... but you can see a DEFINITE change in the dynamic of the discussion... Those posts got deleted anyway.

That cast was perfection. George wasn't a great actor, but still... Euan, Jeffrey, Cary, Liz, Sarah... they were all perfectly cast.

insomniak
#382Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 2:52pm

I'm laaaaaaaaaazyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Someone give me a fifty-words-or-less explanation of Boy George. And google will just try to sell me crap on ebay or give me taboo info if I check it.

Thoroughly Modern Cara Profile Photo
Thoroughly Modern Cara
#383Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 2:52pm

yeah i almost actually wish they hadn't been deleted..it was kind of fun to read...ohhhh well! It did provide me with a certain amount of entertainment last night!

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#384Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 3:10pm

Boy George's real name is George O'Dowd. He was born in Eltham, Kent in 1961. During the early 80's he became a regular in London on the "New Romantic" club scene. His flamboyant cross-dressing style and his appearances at clubs in London were regularly featured in magazines.

From 1979 he worked as a DJ alongside Jeremy Healy until he joined forces with DJ Michael Craig and drummer Jon Moss in 1982 to form the 80's super group Culture Club. Over the next four years, the group made history with their music including the huge hits "Karma Chameleon" and "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me". The group dissolved in 1986.

Boy George struggled through a heroin addiction during some rough years before he came clean in 1987and re-emerged as a solo singer with "Everything I Own", which gave him his first solo #1 hit.

In 1989 he formed his own record label, More Protein, and fronted a new band called Jesus Loves You. His autobiography, Take It Like A Man, recalling his extraordinary life, was published in 1995. Culture Club briefly reformed in 1999 for a tour and a new album.

Today Boy George is recognized foremost as a leading dance music DJ, a solo artist and for his Broadway musical Taboo.

A little more than 50, but it covers everything! http://www.boy.george.net

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

BroadwayDiva
#385Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 3:14pm

He really does!! I love his music. If it was up to me, he would have won best score.

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#386Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 4:37pm

This weekend I am FINALLY going to buy Taboo. What else should I get? It doesn't just have to be Raul, but does anyone have any ideas?

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

MyNameInLights
#387Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 4:50pm

Are you sure? Ready or not, here comes Mama:

Aida, Avenue Q, Big River, The Boy From Oz, Bye Bye Birdie OBC, Chicago 1997 Revival, A Chorus Line, A Class Act, Gypsy OBC, Gypsy NBC, Hairspray, Into the Woods, Jekyll and Hyde OBC, Jesus Christ Superstar OBC, Joseph... OBC, Joseph... with Donny Osmond, Les Miserable OBC, Little Shop of Horrors 1982, Man of La Mancha NBC, Movin' Out, Nine NBC, Oklahoma OBC, POTO, The Producers, RENT, The New Starlight Express, Sweeney Todd OBC, TMM, TTB, Urinetown, and Wicked.

Oh my God, that is so embarrassing.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

MyNameInLights
#388Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 4:54pm

Which Cabaret?

BroadwayDiva
#389Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:00pm

I like the revival Cabaret better.

Also, Zanna, Don't (starring Jai Rodriguez), Godspell, Cats, Pippin.

MyNameInLights
#390Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:01pm

Pippin! Simple Joys! Raul! AH!

I don't know, I'll browse and keep both of your guys' suggestions in mind. I love you guys!

MyNameInLights
#391Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:05pm

Maybe I'll just get Taboo and a book.

Updated On: 8/9/04 at 05:05 PM

MyNameInLights
#392Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:30pm

Extrememly stupid question, but where do I get it?

insomniak
#393Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:35pm

www.sh-k-boom.com

Thanks for the explanation on Boy George.

MyNameInLights
#394Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 5:41pm

Thanks Undiscovered!

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#395Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:21pm

MY NAME IN LIGHTS - THAT'S RAUL'S STOMACH!!!

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

MyNameInLights
#396Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:21pm

SEANY! I LOVE YOU BECAUSE YOU KNOW THAT! Does it look okay?

Updated On: 8/9/04 at 06:21 PM

KatePrinceton
#397Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:24pm

MNIL, where did you get that??

BroadwayDiva
#398Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:24pm

Raul as the Leading Player in the revival of Pippin!! Yes!!! And we'll stick Adam in there somewhere, and it'll be the best show ever (next to Phonebook, of course).

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#399Rauly!
Posted: 8/9/04 at 6:26pm

Yes...it looks...really...wonderful. :)

UM...
something I noticed:

Raul's "Simple Joys": he sings "feasting her belly, feasting her eyes" - the line is "feasting your belly, feasting your eyes". I found it quite interesting...GO RAUL!

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

Videos