News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

SPRING AWAKENING revival flailing at box office- Page 6

SPRING AWAKENING revival flailing at box office

indytallguy
#125SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/18/15 at 1:06pm

And the ADA covers more than physical accessibility.

neonlightsxo
#126SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/18/15 at 1:15pm

Rolling my eyes. Ken Davenport strikes again. 25 tickets is a joke. Especially at the capacities they've been playing, which are so sad the cast has been joking about it on Twitter.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#127SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/18/15 at 1:40pm

While ADA does cover disabilty beyond movement or sensory impairment, it is still rather poorly conceived to constrain the discount "honoring" ADA to the least accessible part of the theatre.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#128SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/18/15 at 1:40pm

haterobics said "I was second row, on the aisle, center orchestra, with no seat in front of me... "

I am going to see the show in late December and I like to sit close to the stage in the orchestra center. How was the view fron your seat haterobics? Stage height, etc? Would you have preferred being a row or two further back? thanks!

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#129SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/18/15 at 2:14pm

neonlightsxo said: "Rolling my eyes. Ken Davenport strikes again. 25 tickets is a joke. Especially at the capacities they've been playing, which are so sad the cast has been joking about it on Twitter. "

What has been said? That doesn't seem very professional haha

neonlightsxo
#130SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/18/15 at 3:56pm

I can't link at the moment but
Andy Mientus, 11/1/15: I've always been more of a the-theater's-half-full person

Alex Wyse, 11/17/15: I don't go for the B unless capacity is above 65%.
-Alex Boniello: we both know that's not true.

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#132SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/18/15 at 8:06pm

"I am going to see the show in late December and I like to sit close to the stage in the orchestra center. How was the view fron your seat haterobics? Stage height, etc? Would you have preferred being a row or two further back? thanks!"

Have seen this show multiple times from various locations including front row from lottery and I'd say its a little too close there if this is your first time seeing the show. Since there is no orch pit, you are literally sitting at the lip of the stage and much of the action occurs there. There are also scenes in the show where deaf actors don't have their equivalent voice actors speaking for them and instead their lines projected on the back wall (which makes for some very emotionally powerful scenes). These may be difficult to read if too close, especially if you're also trying to follow the action at the same time.

I'd recommend front row Mezz if this is your first time, but I personally love being up close to watch the actors expressions (and try to follow their signs).

Updated On: 11/18/15 at 08:06 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#133SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/18/15 at 10:41pm

JPeterman said: "I am going to see the show in late December and I like to sit close to the stage in the orchestra center. How was the view from your seat haterobics? Stage height, etc? Would you have preferred being a row or two further back? thanks!"

Rows 2-4 are typically held for premium, I think, so rows 5 back on the aisle were already gone by the time I looked... so, I booked it after they made half of row 2 regular price. I prefer being close, and I found the show was very easy to follow as far as where the action was taking place, where you were meant to look, where things were being projected, etc.

You will be close to the stage, but it isn't crazy high or anything. I got Moritz's jacket slapping me in the head, the guitar player singing into my face, so while it isn't an interactive show, I sort of like being up in the mix like that. That said, whenever people suggest sitting further back to take it all in... I usually don't listen. I like seeing people onstage with their little asides, making eye contact, etc. Am I missing other things in the process? Maybe. But nothing that concerns me.

If I had it to book all over again, I'd sit in the same seat. I do have friends who like being further back, so when i go with them, I would book front row mezz, since that is as close as I can get, and as close as they want, so that is typically a good compromise location. SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#134SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/18/15 at 10:44pm

indytallguy said: "And the ADA covers more than physical accessibility. "

If you want to parse out the irony, it isn't working for me. SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office

The seats closer to the stage marked for "deaf/hard of hearing/blind/low vision" are also not included in the promo meant to celebrate the ADA.

Honestly every special promo they have had, whether it was pizza with the cast on Halloween, or take your pick, have been the same rear mezz section every time.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#135SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/19/15 at 1:19am

Thanks very much for the comments, MorningGlow and haterobics, I appreciate it.

VintageSnarker
#136SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/19/15 at 3:56pm

"Honestly every special promo they have had, whether it was pizza with the cast on Halloween, or take your pick, have been the same rear mezz section every time."

Actually their first promo for The Guilty Ones offered a lot of orchestra seats.

Any update on how the lottery has been?

Sam2
#137SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/19/15 at 6:15pm

The lottery is pretty crowded, but certainly not impossible Hamilton-wise (although that might not be a good reference). It's okay if you really want front row tickets, but there are cheaper tickets available instead of the lotto.

Updated On: 11/19/15 at 06:15 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#138SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/19/15 at 6:17pm

Lin has been known to tell his lotterati that Spring Awakening's is available yet in a few minutes...

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#139SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/19/15 at 6:18pm

Sam2 said: "but there are cheaper tickets available instead of the lotto."

From where?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#140SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/19/15 at 6:28pm

I'm guessing those poorly located $25 ADA promotion seats?

Sam2
#141SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/19/15 at 7:01pm

I got a pretty good seat for $27 via Todaytix. I'm not saying it's the best one in the house, but plenty of seats are empty in the mezzanine. So even if you happen to not be happy with the view from your own seat, nothing holds you back from picking another one, I guess.

Polka Dot2 Profile Photo
Polka Dot2
#142SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/20/15 at 12:16am

I'm telling you - YOU CANNOT ALWAYS MOVE UP. The entire mezzanine was sold out the Sunday evening I was there. Don't rely on that advice. 

I was not happy with my seat in the back. I'll be trying the lottery again soon. 

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#143SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/20/15 at 12:50pm

There was just a sponsored post on Facebook touting the ADA25 discount even though all those tickets were sold out the same day the offer was released. It's a pretty big misfire on the advertiser's part.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#144SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/20/15 at 1:00pm

I've only been seeing the normal $79 promo from them this morning?!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#145SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/20/15 at 1:19pm

I often walk by the theatre after work as the lottery starts, and I would not say it is terribly crowded. 30-40 people.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#146SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/20/15 at 1:20pm

Kad said: "I often walk by the theatre after work as the lottery starts, and I would not say it is terribly crowded. 30-40 people. "

That may be before the Hamilton overflow, though. Unless you mean they are picking the names as you walk by...

Updated On: 11/20/15 at 01:20 PM

phan418
#147SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/20/15 at 3:18pm

Great seats available at TKTS.. I scored 9 th row orch at TKTS

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#148SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/20/15 at 3:21pm

phan418 said: "Great seats available at TKTS.. I scored 9 th row orch at TKTS"

A lot of people on here consider TKTS to be premium pricing. SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office

indytallguy
#149SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/22/15 at 10:27pm

Saw this tonight. I loved the original production and saw it many times. But I have to say that this revival's reinterpretation moved me much more deeply. The cast was uniformly excellent, but Krysta Rodriguez as Ilse made that part work in a whole new way.

The staging was inventive and made me forget the beautiful light wall of the original production fairly quickly. Other than the fairly heavy-handed decision at the end of Purple Summer, there is very little I would change.

House was 85-90% full except for rear mezz which was probably closer to 60-70%.

Videos