News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play- Page 2

School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play

bear88
#25School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play
Posted: 4/7/20 at 2:13am

I had planned to see this play live at the Berkeley Rep but Covid-19 got in the way of that. I was able to see a tech rehearsal that was filmed just before things were shut down in the SF Bay Area. It wasn't the ideal circumstances for the actors or the poor camera operator, but I was pleased both to support the theater and to see the play, which veers impressively from silly to serious in a tidy 80-minute running time. We learn a lot about these characters, and certainly Paulina and new rival Ericka, during that time. I was impressed with Jocelyn Bioh's ability to borrow familiar tropes and put them in a new context that is both entertaining, enlightening (pardon the pun), and heartbreaking. The actress playing Paulina, Akilah Walker, is particularly good as the play moves to its conclusion.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#26School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play
Posted: 4/7/20 at 3:55am

The Goodman Theatre is also selling tickets to a stream of their recent production:

https://www.goodmantheatre.org/streamschoolgirls

(I'm pretty sure this is a different thing to the PBS version?)

kole_willms
#27School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play
Posted: 5/19/20 at 12:33pm

I have been out of the PBS loop for a while. I just sat and watched it. Just as good the second time around. It was beautifully filmed also. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#28School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play
Posted: 7/6/20 at 4:32pm

kole_willms said: "I have been out of the PBS loop for a while. I just sat and watched it. Just as good the second time around. It was beautifully filmed also."

Very weird. Your post was verbatim what I posted but did not show as a quote? Did you just copy and paste it?

Just give the world Love.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#29School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play
Posted: 7/13/20 at 8:10pm

kole_willms said: "I have been out of the PBS loop for a while. I just sat and watched it. Just as good the second time around. It was beautifully filmed also."

It was truly beautifully filmed.  

carterbean
#30School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play
Posted: 12/21/20 at 3:03am

Excellent play.
It’s a awesome show. But it’s not a Broadway Show. As cool as it would be to have a show like this on broadway I don’t think broadway audiences would pay for it.

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#31School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play
Posted: 7/13/22 at 3:47pm

Um what's going on like the links y'all???

spiceagent
#32School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play
Posted: 7/12/23 at 5:48pm

I had planned to see this play live at the Berkeley Rep but Covid-19 got in the way of that. I was able to see a tech rehearsal that was filmed just before things were shut down in the SF Bay Area. It wasn't the ideal circumstances for the actors or the poor camera operator, but I was pleased both to support the theater and to see the play, which veers impressively from silly to serious in a tidy 80-minute running time. We learn a lot about these characters, and certainly Paulina and new rival Ericka, during that time. I was impressed with Jocelyn Bioh's ability to borrow familiar tropes and put them in a new context that is both entertaining, enlightening (pardon the pun), and heartbreaking. The actress playing Paulina, Akilah Walker, is particularly good as the play moves to its conclusion.

Updated On: 2/11/24 at 05:48 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#33School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play
Posted: 7/12/23 at 9:28pm

I saw a production of this play in London off-west end at the Hammersmith Lyric and it was really good! What made it even better was how the theater had a Ghanaian school tray dinner special available for only 10 pounds! 

dennisferrari769
#34School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play
Posted: 7/13/23 at 11:46am

carterbean said: "Excellent play.
It’s a awesome show. But it’s not a Broadway Show. As cool as it would be to have a show like this on broadway I don’t think broadway audiences would pay for it.
"

I don't think Broadway audiences would turn down this show. It's definitely worth a look. This show reminds me of my school days. Now I study at the university and use the https://essays.edubirdie.com/academic-writing-services website to keep up with all my academic tasks. What can I say, I miss the good old school days when everything was so much easier. But I am glad that I found such a service, it helps me a lot.

Updated On: 7/19/23 at 11:46 AM

Videos