News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)- Page 17

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#400re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 8/20/07 at 8:26pm

If I would have known about XANADU at the time, we probably would have gone to XANADU rather than MARY POPPINS. Although, I though MARY POPPINS was fabulous.

americanboy99
#401re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 11/22/07 at 12:43pm

I never reviewed MARY POPPINS. Whoops!

Well, we had an understudy in the title role (my Playbill is not in front of me and I have no energy to go upstairs and find it, so I can't tell you her name!) She was fine, but not amazing. She gave a B performance. Gavin Lee was stellar as Bert. He sang beautifully and danced even better. "Step in Time" with most definitely the show's strongest number. However, the biggest surprise for me was Rebecca Luker, who I found to be absolutely wonderful. I have to say that her Tony nod was deserved. She was marvelous.

The sets were beyond belief. That house was tremendous. The costumes were good, but nothing too great. The choregraphy was wonderful and definitely deserved the Tony over SPRING AWAKENING. I really did love this show. Yes, there were some weak moments. The book is a bit boring at times and "Temper, Temper" was laughably bad. But I did really like it.

Our seats were perfect. Probably the best seats in the house. We were center mezzanine and had a wonderful view of the stage. Mary flew right over us. That's a great moment in musical theatre (one of my most memorable ever.) The New Amsterdam is such a beautiful, intricate theatre. I love that theatre. It fit the show perfectly.

Well, let me go eat some turkey.

americanboy99
#402re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/17/08 at 3:46pm

Oh, how a year can change people!

I'll be trekking to New York again. No help necessary this time.

I'm so excited. I will be seeing GYPSY, SOUTH PACIFIC, IN THE HEIGHTS, and AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY. And maybe XANADU.

Videos