News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#1Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:49pm

Hello, all! I am taking my parents on a little two and a quarter day excursion to New York City. Our plane lands at LaGuardia at 3:30 on Tuesday August 7th. We leave the city Friday the 10th in the morning. I made reservations for 8 pm at Tavern on the Green. So, we'll check in at the hotel, rest awhile, take a walk through Central Park, then enjoy our meal.

WEDNESDAY:

I was planning on going to Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum around 10, which should last until lunch.

Lunch- WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST?

2 pm- LEGALLY BLONDE matinee (I had to give my mom something she knows.)

After the show... Dinner? Where should we go?

8 pm- MARY POPPINS (My dad loves the movie...)

THURSDAY

We really want to take the NBC Studio Tour, walk around SoHo, eat at Pomodoro's pizza in SoHo/Little Italy, look around NYU, walk around Times Square, and see Madison Square Gardens. Is that all possible.

That night at 8 pm we'll be seeing GREY GARDENS (for me!)

Do you have any great suggestions for where to eat, what to do, and how to squeeze it all in? Do you have any of your own itineraries from your excursions in the city? If so, please help.

Please specify adresses/ location.

Thanks!!

Updated On: 8/20/07 at 12:49 PM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to Do... (I need help!)
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:56pm

You're mom probably knows Xanadu as well.
I want to see Xanadu more than Legally Blonde, but I haven't seen either one.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

americanboy99
#2re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to Do... (I need help!)
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:58pm

Well, the tickets are already purchased.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#3re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:59pm

My parents liked The Playwright for lunch when they were here. (We did 202 W. 49th St. ~ there are a couple of them)

You're not going to have a lot of time for dinner between a matinee and an evening performance...I'd do lunch as the bigger meal and something lighter like Cosi of Europa Cafe for dinner.

Thursday...your stuff is spread all around. I'd start at the bottom section ~ SoHo, etc. and work your way up by Madison Square Gardens, Times Square (though really with the wax museum and shows, you'll be around there all day Wednesday) and slightly up and over to NBC. Otherwise it's a lot of backing and forthing.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

americanboy99
#4re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:17pm

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't really mean Times Square for Thursday since we are there most of Wednesday.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#5re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:21pm

I love Serendipity 3 for special meals too. (Special translates as my parents are here to pay for it. :) But I adore the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate!) But...I'd definitely see if you can get a reservation. 225 E. 60th St. If you did the SoHo thing in the morning and the NBC thing in the afternoon, you'd be in that vicinity for dinner,

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

americanboy99
#6re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:31pm

We'll see. I have heard that from a few people.

americanboy99
#7re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:09pm

i hate to do this but, bump.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#8re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:14pm

You must eat here!

http://www.zenpalate.com/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#9re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:22pm

"We really want to take the NBC Studio Tour, walk around SoHo, eat at Pomodoro's pizza in SoHo/Little Italy, look around NYU, walk around Times Square, and see Madison Square Gardens. Is that all possible."

I'm not certain - but I don't think there is anything to see at NYU. The campus is split all over. And I'm not sure about seeing Madison Square Garden. There is probably an event going on.

As for the NBC Studio Tour - it's OK, but not the best of three major tours they offer. They have a package that offers you tickets to TOP OF THE ROCK, the NBC STUDIO TOUR, and the RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL TOUR. Top of the Rock is a builing where you go to the roof and look out over Manhattan. That's it. Great for photo ops and you can clearly see the Empire State Building in the background. Very popular, and is good for a quick something-to-do in 30 minutes or less (and can be much less).

The NBC Studio Tour will take you to three locations inside Rockerfellar Plaza. I saw the sets of Dateline, SNL, and Conan O'Brian. Nothing special...just cool to be there.

Of the three, I HIGHLY recommend the Radio City Music Hall tour. If you have never been in there, you MUST! You can see where the Tonys are performed as well as other majors events in that venue, including the Rockettes shows and the Christmas Spectacular. You'll tour everything inside there, which has a HUGE history and the tour guides are great. Amazing architecture, artwork, venue, and at the end you get your picture taken with one of the Rockettes. Lots of fun and very interesting. A great piece of NY history - Radio City Music Hall.

If you can't do the package of all three, do Radio City's tour.

As for food:

Diner food: the Edison Cafe in the Edison Hotel on 47th (or 46th) between Broadway and 8th.

Restaurant: Bubba Gumps is the only chain restaurant I recommend in Times Square (off of Broadway around 44th). They don't have too many locations across the U.S. anyway. It's a great atmostphere.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

americanboy99
#10re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:39pm

I got a private message that reccomended La Massaria, an Italian restaurant located next to the Walter Kerr theatre for before GREY GARDENS.

Anyone else been there?

Thanks, CapnHook.

sarab Profile Photo
sarab
#11re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:44pm

I hope you have a wonderful time! I just got back from New York two weeks ago. I went to see Legally Blonde and to the Wax Museum. You will love them both! I would recommend eating at John's Pizzeria also! It's delicious! Have fun!

Follow your bliss! I love Will Chase! I love Lisa Brescia! I love Stephanie J. Block!

Here_I_Go_Again
#12re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:45pm

basilica on 9th ave between 47/48 is WONDERFUL!!!!!!

americanboy99
#13re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:48pm

Has anyone eaten at Pomodoro's Pizza. I am pretty sure it's in SoHo, but it may be in Little Italy.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#14re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:49pm

OHH!! I forgot to add one of my favorite new diners in Manhattan! It's called the Applejack Diner and it's located on Broadway & 55th.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#15re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:49pm

In the many times I've been to GG, I have eaten at the Thai restaurant across the street the most times. It's cheap, fast, and very good food.
Get a reservation. It's called Pongsri. It's great.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#16re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:02pm

Second vote for John's Pizzeria for eating in TS- you can easily get out of Blonde, eat at John's, and go to Poppins.

What do you mean 'see' MSG- do you just mean to walk by it and see what the outside of the building looks like? Because they also do a MSG tour, but that didn't sound like what you meant.

If doing the wax museum get AAA discounted tix, or discounted tix from the folks on the sidewalk in TS, or at the TS tuorist info booth (I think they might have them there)- don't pay full price for the wax museum.

Ditto there are always people on the street of TS in front of where mtv and the Drowsy Chaperone are (those two blocks), with discount coupons for NBC- not sure if it's just Top of the Rock discounts, or also discounts to the tour that they have.

Ditto what Jordangirl said about pick a spot and work in one direction for Thursday, but fyi the NBC Tours sell out real early for the day- I did it once back in (2005?) and we went by at about 11am/12noon and the last timeslot of (5:30pm?) was the only tour time that they had left for the day, so figure out what time you're doing that and make sure you have your tix booked before you start on the rest of your day.

americanboy99
#17re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:08pm

I may reserve my tickets for the NBC tour online today or tomorrow.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#18re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:09pm

You can book the Radio City and NBC Studio tours in advance, too. What I meant by discount for those is that there is a group package NBC sells which discounts all three if you see all three. Basically it's if you do both tours, you can do Top of the Rock for free. It's a great package.

--Aristotle

americanboy99
#19re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:23pm

It's just a time issue for me. Because Wednesday is full, with the wax museum and two show. All I have is Thursday. I thought we'd begin in Soho/ Little Italy, and eat lunch there at Pomodoro's. Then, I thought we'd take a cab to Rockefeller Center, walk around there and be tourists for awhile, then take the NBC studio tour (I talked to my mother... she wants to do that tour). Then after that, we'd have dinner somewhere near GREY GARDENS... then off to the show.

Any suggestions for restaurants near the Walter Kerr?

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#20re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:30pm

Don't waste money on a cab, experience New York as New Yorkers do.

Take the 1,2,3 train from Houston to Times Square, 42nd St, or Penn Station, 34th.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

americanboy99
#21re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:31pm

Since we probably aren't going to want to eat at three Italian restaurants, are there any other places that are good to eat at for between LEGALLY BLONDE and MARY POPPINS?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#22re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:39pm

BUBBA GUMPS is between Blonde and Poppins. BLONDE is on Bway at I think 50th. So you'll just walk a few blocks downtown on Broadway and there is Bubba Gumps. Continue walking downtown just a couple blocks and there is 42nd Street. Turn right and Poppins is right there.

BUBBA GUMPS is of course a place for seafood, but they also have great non-seafood selections of a rather large variety. And they also have alcoholic (and non-alcoholic) beverages. And they are FAST (even if you see a line out the door, it'll go by very quickly). Also, request a window seat so you can look out onto the streets of Broadway. Breathtaking.

--Aristotle

americanboy99
#23re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:47pm

Thanks, CapnHook. I will look into that.

americanboy99
#24re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:55pm

We are staying at the Holiday Inn on W 57th Street.

Here's the address:
Holiday Inn-Midtown-57th St:
440 W 57th St
New York NY

Is this very far from Times Square. I know it is near Central Park and Carnegie Hall. So, a cab will be necesary to travel to Times Square and Rockefeller Center, correct?

Videos