News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)- Page 13

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#300re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/30/07 at 1:37am

Well, they're open minded, but we just want musicals. Just a preference.

We could see PHANTOM.

I don't know.

God. I am so upset.

Rotel1026
#301re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/30/07 at 9:46am

Did I miss something or did you not give any reason for getting rid of Grey Gardens? If it's because of Mary Louis Wilson leaving, I say don't let that stop you from watching it.

americanboy99
#302re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/30/07 at 9:53am

It's rumored that it is closing the 29th.

(please, moderators, don't delete this thread. i have so much information on here.)

americanboy99
#303re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/30/07 at 11:38pm

Okay. Change of plans

Thursday night will include a performance of SPRING AWAKENING at 8:00.

americanboy99
#304re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/7/07 at 7:25pm

Okay. So, I have some new questions!

When do you think I should make my NBC studio tour reservations, and for what time?

The Tavern on the Green reservations have been made for 8 pm.

Where should we go to dinner before SPRING AWAKENING at the Eugene O'Neil?

Yes, we have tickets to SA. Our GREY GARDENS tickets have been redunded.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#305re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/7/07 at 10:24pm

I stand by the Playwright ~ either of them. My parents and I had a great lunch there. And I know they have a pre-theatre prix-fixe menu. (You did want a sit-down kind of place, right?)

As for the tour, I can't help you as those things have never interested me so I've never researched. Sorry!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

americanboy99
#306re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/8/07 at 11:27am

I'll check out the Playwright.

americanboy99
bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#308re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/9/07 at 8:17pm

Stay at Night or Hotel QT...or spring for City Club...GREAT PLACES TO STAY.

Eat at Miracle in the Village....or at Cafe Dell Arte up near Carnagie Hall...or Citrus on the upper west side...or even Rachels in the theatre district.

See Xanadu. You must.

americanboy99
#309re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/11/07 at 9:46pm

Any more suggestions on where to eat before SPRING AWAKENING that is close to the theatre?

MarkRascati
#310re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/11/07 at 9:59pm

Eat at BB King. The food isn't fantastic, but it's a nice atmosphere

americanboy99
#311re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/11/07 at 10:09pm

We have a BB King in my hometown. So, I don't think so.

Thanks though!

americanboy99
#311re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/11/07 at 10:09pm

We have a BB King in my hometown. So, I don't think so.

Thanks though!

teka21
#313re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/11/07 at 10:46pm

Pigalle is a moderately priced french/american restaurant only a block from SA on 8th Ave at 48th St. The menu is varied, and the food is generally quite good. My parents enjoyed eating there. Reservations are recommended.
Updated On: 7/11/07 at 10:46 PM

G_Schlozinski2
#314re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/12/07 at 5:17am

my ideal new york vacation, with free ice cream and mixed drinks on the streets of the village.

americanboy99
#315re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/14/07 at 2:44pm

I am looking into Pigalle for before SA. I read some reviews and they were great.

So, anyone got a suggestion on when to make reservations for the NBC tour?

americanboy99
#316re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/15/07 at 5:21pm

No one likes my thread anymore.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#317re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/15/07 at 5:25pm

Maybe because you have had plenty of help already?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

americanboy99
#318re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/15/07 at 5:26pm

Boo, wizard.

Anyone else eaten at Pigalle?

LondonSean
#319re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/15/07 at 8:56pm

Gosh, a little bit of help/insider advice is nice and friendly, but you're doggedly seeking ultra specific advice (and VALIDATION!) about everything (and by now, not listening to anything that challenges the status quo!). You clearly have the internet (but strangely not the inclination to seek out information independently); there are thousands of sites about NYC, hundreds of online maps, and even specific forums to discuss these tourist things (and not specifically theatre, which is the main purpose here) in great detail.

I'm a Londoner born and raised, so I'm used to the big city, but I've been to NYC several times now (without any assistance… except the web, a guidebook and a subway map!) and find your scheduling of every minute and all events an awful thought and far too rigid. Yes book shows by all means, make a dinner reservation at a popular venue, but NY is so big and wonderful, making a general plan and seeing what happens is essential (ultra specific plans will often fall flat in my experience!). You really don't need to worry about breakfast or lunch in the city, I've had several weeks worth, all found at the time of hunger!

Also listen to the NYC people's advice about NYU and the waxworks. Nothing to see at NYU and the wax museum is soulless. Also buy a guidebook and/or map (or relax and get a free map at the airport).

One not of praise; seeing Spring Awakening. Good choice, lots of intense drama and great performances (though rather different from Phantom or ACL, I can tell you, not a conservative show!).

Sorry to say all this, but the thread has been annoying me for ages, and you really should take heed of what people have said, use your initiative and relax a bit. If you can’t do the last two things then NYC might not be for you.

P.S: I think this person might be a performance artist or psychologist, trying to see when sane people snap!
P.S.S: Your father lived in NYC! Surely he can guide you around the city? I could do it and I've never lived there.
P.S.S: If you ask for much more ‘advice’, I think people will be able to charge you consultancy fees, or experience the vacation for you!!!!

americanboy99
#320re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/15/07 at 9:06pm

My father never lived in NYC.

He just traveled there often for business, but never got out much to explore.

I am looking into attending NYU.. so, it's a must.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#321re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/15/07 at 9:09pm

As one who worked in an admissions office at her college, have you talked with them? They can usually advise you of the best stuff to do to see the campus ~ and hey, can maybe even arrange a tour of the sections you'd be frequenting.

Also, to reiterate the not scheduling every waking moment, if you're going to school here, YOU WILL BE BACK. There is no need to exhaust yourself in one visit!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

americanboy99
#322re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/15/07 at 9:15pm

Yeah, totally.

Yes, I have talked with them.

So, I am making reservations for 3:30 for the NBC tours.

Then, Pigalle reservation for 6.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#323re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/15/07 at 9:17pm

I'm sure you already have set plans, but if you like French food, Tout Va Bien on, I believe 51st street, is a wonderful little place. Lunch and dinner are both great.

Bwayfan4
#324re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 7/15/07 at 9:23pm

Well-said, LondonSean!

I've held my tongue for a while now, but it's becoming more than annoying to see this thread getting longer and longer (I am aware that I am adding to it) with questions about how to plan your every move while in NYC. A question here or there is acceptable, but you are basically asking the board to plan YOUR vacation for you. You seem to want all of this advice, but when people give you their advice, you scoff at it.

As LondonSean said, there IS this thing called the internet (clearly you have access to it), which can help you locate restaurants as well as read reviews on them. There is also such a thing as maps, which can help you locate places as well as subway stops. So there's really no need for you to exhaust this board on some of the more mundane inquiries...do some research like the rest of us when planning a trip!

Seriously though, as sooo many people have tried to tell you (but again you have scoffed at their advice), there is no need to plan out every second of every day of your trip. Is it good to hae a general plan of action? Yes. But it's always good to be open to change.

Videos