News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

broadway questions

Marcomeatball Profile Photo
Marcomeatball
#0broadway questions
Posted: 1/17/05 at 9:08pm

What inspires people to follow careers on broadway?

What challanges does one face when auditioning?

How long does one have to memorize lines?

yay for questions

And when do actors and actresses practice to maintain their lines and work with each other?

didn't mean to post twice. Updated On: 1/17/05 at 09:08 PM

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#1re: broadway questions
Posted: 1/17/05 at 9:15pm

Their talent and drive, but sometimes the tacos from last night..

Rejections, evil directors and the fact that you suck

Depends on the show

yay for questions
indeed

And when do actors and actresses practice to maintain their lines and work with each other?
Ususally during the week, I would say.

Was that a fat joke?

Raggy Q poo
#2re: broadway questions
Posted: 1/17/05 at 9:20pm

Wow there Catie- a lil harsh maybe on that second question....ok- I understand, we need to be realisitc but what about those tacos from last night? Are you saying that I will make it to Broadway if I eat tacos from last night?!?! (j/k) But hey- it's worth a try...:::looking in freezer for tacos from lastnight. re: broadway questions

People like you are the reason I'm on medication.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#3re: broadway questions
Posted: 1/17/05 at 9:27pm

Learning lines: you have from the moment that you get the role until the point in rehearsals when the director announces "Books down!"

CatieElphie1
#4re: broadway questions
Posted: 1/17/05 at 9:28pm

sheesh...a clarification: I mean, that IF you suck, which, by the way, marco I know you don't, then that is a deffinate obsticle...and the tacos from last night was a joke....never mind...I'll just shut up.

Was that a fat joke?

Marcomeatball Profile Photo
Marcomeatball
#5re: broadway questions
Posted: 1/17/05 at 9:34pm

wildcat - so that means that it's not announced. And what about actual rehearsals, there is a show going on everyday except for Monday sometimes. How does one manage? The understudies?

CatieElphie1
#6re: broadway questions
Posted: 1/17/05 at 9:41pm

mornings?? I know that that's what we do at my highschool..we'll have a show on Friday night, so friday morning we'll rehearse..and as to the lines, I have no idea...i'd go nuts

Was that a fat joke?

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#7re: broadway questions
Posted: 1/17/05 at 10:07pm

For me, personally...They say that if there's anything else you can imagine doing with your life, you should do it. Well, I've thought about it long and hard (for many years now), and there absolutely is nothing else I want to do. Theatre is my life, and I want to make it my career. Why on Broadway though? Well, actually I plan to spend at least the beginning of my career in Chicago, which is a good "stepping stone," but I do hope to one day be on Broadway, simply because it's regarded as the highest caliber (although, frankly, it's not). But that's another question all together...

Well, there have been entire books written on this subject, but let's just say that one needs to have a thick skin in show business, and be damn good at what they do.

In most professional productions (I think) the LATEST you're allowed to be off-book is usually about half-way through the rehearsal process, although all directors have different demands. Some will ask you to be memorized before rehearsals even begin! For Broadway, it's probably a little different, as sometimes you are cast literally months before rehearsals begin, so you have lots of time, and are probably expected to be at least near-off book. I guess it really depends.

I don't understand the question. Do you mean outside of rehearsal? Updated On: 1/17/05 at 10:07 PM

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#8re: broadway questions
Posted: 1/17/05 at 10:09pm

"And when do actors and actresses practice to maintain their lines and work with each other?

I don't understand the question. Do you mean outside of rehearsal?"

Do you mean in a relationship sense?
If so it is becuase acting is such a stressful life, and who knows it better than another actor.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Videos