News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for NJGUY

Member Name: NJGUY
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Congestion pricing will destroy broadway
 Mar 27 2024, 03:31:52 PM

Unoriginal juke box musicals, unnecessary revivals and the attempted wokeness of straight plays will kill Broadway a lot sooner than $15 added to the entertainment bill.

2024-2025 Touring Season
 Mar 19 2024, 06:36:56 PM

Richmond,, VA-Altria Theater:

Shucked - October 29-Nov 3

Mama Mia - Dec 10-15

MJ - Jan 28-Feb 3

Moulin Rouge (two weeks) -  March 4-16

A Beautiful Noise - April 15-20

Some Like it Hot - June 3-8

Bonus add on: Chicago -May 9 -11

Looks like a decent season from the POV of this Jersey guy now living in Virginia;'s capital.

Williamstown Theatre Festival Summer 2024: new David Ives play + solo pieces and an art installation
 Mar 7 2024, 06:09:54 PM

What a pitiful lineup at WTF. I am going to pay money to see "a show" about plastic and recycling? They are going through a change in artistic directors, yet what a fall from grace considering the sort of legacy productions they produced.  All I can say is WTF?  Can hope for some Friday afternoon readings which are always a delight, with top actors and a low cost.

DC Theater - Swept Away
 Nov 13 2023, 05:45:45 PM

Rumor has it that it is coming to Broadway.  Are those rumors true?  Anyone?.  We are taking the train from Richmond, VA in December to see it at The Arena.  It has all the makings; cast, director and production values of a broadway production, so the $100 tix are a comparative bargain. .

People talking during shows
 Mar 27 2023, 10:00:10 AM

I find midweek audiences better than weekend audiences.  What bugs me the most is how people just talk during the Overture as if it is NOT part of the show .  Luckily for DEAR WORLD, last week, the audience was transfixed for the overture, which is nice since it is close to 6 minutes and also wonderful in its composition.

MERRILY will transfer next fall!
 Mar 23 2023, 01:55:35 PM

Wow.  Glad I saw the original production for a few dollars with a half empty audience, one week before it closed in 1981.  That will do for my MWRA bucket list  The nice thing was the full orchestra 42 years ago, and I am hoping that this show transfers with nothing less than 20+ musicians, otherwise it is a disgrace to the ear and the pocketbook.  What do we know about the orchestra size?

City Center Encores - Dear World
 Mar 21 2023, 02:12:27 PM

Was there Sunday night, the last performance.  Yes the book is creaky and illogical, yet the music soars, may be one of Jerry Herman's finest scores.  And when the orchestra played the overture, pure heaven.  The cast was gold (Donna Murphy is the ultimate pro-even with script in hand), yet a Broadway transfer would be a financial disaster-not enough broad appeal in the material (IMHO).  Let it rest and let it enjoy its Encores' glory!

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
 Jan 24 2023, 04:24:51 PM

I have seen (live and in person)  Angela Lansbury, Betty Buckley (PaperMill Playhouse),Tyne Daley, Bernadette Peters, Patti Lupone and Imelda Staunton. The one consistent attribute is that they are phenomenal actors and know how to deliver a line.  I always felt that  the role is more of an acting/singing role than an all out singing role.  One's voice has to be competent, yet Mama Rose does not need to sound like Maria Callas.  My recommendation is to find all th

Cyrano at BAM
 Apr 15 2022, 12:06:45 PM

I agree with you about Entertainment Weekly (now Entertainment Monthly).  I have subscribed since the beginning of its publication date and JUST this week, I got a postcard saying it is over. Not sure if they are going digital only or if the whole thing is ending.  At one time, it was good journalistically.  Now it is a combination of Parade Magazine and TMZ, with not a lot of quality journalism.

Pamela Anderson To Make Broadway Debut In CHICAGO
 Apr 13 2022, 04:02:20 PM

My good friend and seasoned theatergoer just texted me during today's intermission and (I Quote) she is GOD AWFUL.  Now this is from someone who wanted to see the show for tenth time (or some number like that) and had no idea of Pam Anderson's schedule.  Appears to be a lot of forgiving fans. I only wish her the best.  

Cyrano at BAM
 Apr 12 2022, 08:39:31 AM

For those on the fence about seeing this production, here is some pricing data.  I scoured the site hard last week and found two seats K 6 and K8 for $120 each.  Felt sort of satisfied, as the seat next to that, K4 was priced at $180.  Looking to add to my seating, I went to the site yesterday and looked for seats near where I bought mine, and the $120 seats are now $185 and that $180 seat is now $265.  Economics.. 

THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH Previews
 Apr 11 2022, 12:55:20 PM

What is the timing for the pause and intermission please? I know it is written as a three act play. Thanks.

FLYING OVER SUNSET Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 Feb 18 2022, 02:43:00 PM

I just listened to FOS after having seen the show near the end of its run, so it was fresh in my mind.  Has a NINE/Maury Yeston sort of sound to it (which is a good thing); had similar reactions when I first saw NINE on Broadway, whenever that was. Each subsequent time when listening, the music and melodies seemed to get better. 

LCT to produce The Skin of Our Teeth on Bway
 Feb 1 2022, 12:13:36 PM

Hoping that it is better than the misguided production done at the Delacorte.in 1998.  David Cromer would be a splendid choice for directing; I am basing my opinion on his understanding of Wilder's OUR TOWN (acting and directing it) and the spectacular work he is showcasing now at PRAYER FOR THE FRENCH REPUBLIC.

Prayer for the French Republic
 Jan 24 2022, 10:21:48 AM

Brilliant. Still in previews and could benefit from about 5-6 minutes of cuts, yet the three hours flew by. I think it helps if you are Jewish, yet the family issue themes are universal. Can't recommend this enough. If you like family dramas, with both laughs and pathos-get your tickets. The directing and staging are wonderful!  Thank you David Cromer!

Sher to direct Intimate Apparel Musical at LCT off-Broadway
 Jan 24 2022, 10:16:50 AM

We found the show to be pleasant, with unmemorable musical and a slow start.  Liked it better as a play, yet the staging and the singing are magnificent.  A qualified recommendation.

"The Seagull" (2001) - Any experiences waiting for tickets?
 Aug 7 2021, 12:43:53 PM

Thank you for the cartwheel link.

"The Seagull" (2001) - Any experiences waiting for tickets?
 Aug 7 2021, 12:17:45 PM

I read in some fine print that on one day only they would be handing out tickets in West Harlem.  I grabbed a colleague from the office-called our respective wives to tell them to be on alert and that were were getting four tickets (it was a Friday before work at home Fridays were a thing) scooted uptown on the subway and got on line at about 11:45 (ticket distributions started at 12 noon).  At about 12:10, when we got to the front of the line the lovel

May 12, 1981 - Lena Horne!
 May 13 2021, 11:35:12 AM

Lena Horne doing her one woman show was watching a force of nature.  This and Elaine Stricth were the two best one person shows I have ever witnessed iIMHO.

Nathan Lane’s Greatest Performance
 Jan 7 2021, 03:19:50 PM

Having seen him about 11-12 times on Broadway/Off-Broadway, I would say Angels in America for dramatic acting and The Producers for musical comedy.  Yet I enjoyed Gary; for me, just to watch him perform on stage is a treat,

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You