News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89

Bwaygurl2
#2Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 9:30am

"Jean, Jean, roses are red..." 

RIP to a woman who always seemed to be in her prime. 

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#3Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 9:32am

This is how I find out?!

She’s one that you truly can’t imagine the world without. Putting out incredible performances right up to the very end. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#4Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 9:46am

They all have to go, but this was unexpected. RIP

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

witchoftheeast2
#5Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 9:48am

How am I supposed to go on with my day after this sad

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#6Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 9:56am

Not knowing anything about what was going on with her health, I remember being worried about her when I saw the last Downton Abbey movie. Killing off the show's most popular character, I wondered if they didn't think she'd be up to it health-wise, to film the third movie. 

She'd asked producers for years to kill off her character, but it's another thing for them to actually do it. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 11:01am

It's hard to imagine many actors as iconic and beloved as Dame Maggie Smith. Rest in peace, glorious queen.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#8Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 11:13am

'Oh, Sidney...I saw your privates!'

When I found out she's gone on to whatever's next, I immediately thought of this line from California Suite. It is my absolute favorite delivery of hers. She was an alchemist, spinning gold out of the most ordinary straw. 

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#9Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 11:34am

Terrible news, but what a legendary life and career she's had! 

Does anyone know if they got around to filming the announced film adaptation of A German Life? I feel very fortunate to have seen it live, but I would've loved for the film adaptation to preserve that performance for posterity. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#10Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 11:35am

I am gutted.  Just yesterday I read that Downton Abbey #3 is to be released next year.

Ta Ta For Now, Dame Maggie Smith.

Non sibi sed patriae

Theatre_Mom
#11Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 1:38pm

Does anyone know if they will Dim Broadway LIghts for her?  I live close to the theaters and would really want to attend. 

verywellthensigh
#12Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 2:05pm

Most people know her from her fabulous turns in comedies, but watch Othello, The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne, or the PBS version of Suddenly, Last Summer.  She was one of the great tragediennes, maybe of all time. 

KevinKlawitter
#13Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 2:30pm

Flashback to Lauren Bacall surprising Dame Maggie at the 1970 Tonys with the Best Actress Oscar for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie that she was unable to accept in person

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#14Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 2:33pm

A true legend. @JoeW4, I too, feel lucky to have seen her perform live back in spring 2019 in the play A German Life at the Bridge Theatre in London. 

I also hope they filmed it.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#15Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 2:46pm

I am so glad that I got to see her on stage twice in London; "Three Tall Women" and "The Lady in the Van."

Icon and Legend are words completely appropriate in describing her. 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#16Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 3:18pm

I’m sad. Mostly for myself, because now I for sure will never see her onstage. Sad, but thankful. My life has been enriched by her onscreen presence, at least. What a talent.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jarethan
#17Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 4:06pm

Two of the funniest stage performances I have ever seen: in Private Lives and Lettice and Lovage.  Absolutely hysterical, especially her declaring ‘how potent cheap music is’.  She will be missed, that is for sure.

Re her final movie, I looked at IMDB.com and I inferred that it had not started filming.  She was by listed as the only one cast.

jagman106
#18Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 4:20pm

Such an incredibly talented actor is now lost to the ages, but her recorded performances will remain, reminding us of the glorious fact that this icon walked the Earth. Her contribution to the arts is legendary. RIP, dear Dame, from your devoted fans.

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#19Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 4:20pm

Jarethan said: "She was by listed as the only one cast."

It's based on a one-woman show, which was in turn based on a one-woman documentary, so I don't think we can infer anything from that.

But sadly, you're still probably right: for me, it's the lack of information on the film for the past several years, and the fact that IMDB will often specify "Filming" or "Post-production" accordingly.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#20Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 5:19pm

“The Miracle Club” seems to be her final role.

With Kathy Bates and Laura Linney.

As a Hibernophile, I’m interested. Anybody see it?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$
Updated On: 9/27/24 at 05:19 PM

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#21Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 5:34pm

Darn I wish they got sister act 3 in place. So sad to hear 

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#22Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 5:44pm

^ It's in place, and pre-production is speeding up at that, but now we unfortunately know what a plot point -- for at least five minutes of the picture -- will be.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#23Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 9/27/24 at 7:37pm

JoeW4 said: "Jarethan said: "She was by listed as the only one cast."

It's based on a one-woman show, which was in turn based on a one-woman documentary, so I don't think we can infer anything from that.

But sadly, you're still probably right: for me, it's the lack of information on the film for the past several years, and the fact that IMDB will often specify "Filming" or "Post-production" accordingly.

"

Yes I was impressed how captivating she was in her last play onstage “A German Life”. No intermission. One woman show. Roughly 80-90 minutes. Time just flew. I don’t even recall her drinking water.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#24Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 10/6/24 at 6:51pm

This is Dame Maggie Smith's final interview, along with the fabulous Kathleen Turner.  https://youtu.be/oyBDhdcQbx4?si=Ke_j-KJ61him5p8w

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Jarethan
#25Dame Maggie Smith Has Passed Away at 89
Posted: 10/6/24 at 10:32pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "“The Miracle Club” seems to be her final role.

With Kathy Bates and Laura Linney.

As a Hibernophile, I’m interested. Anybody see it?
"

I saw it recently on streaming.  I am pretty sure that it is still on Netflix.

It is one of those movies that you know is mediocre, but you enjoy it anyway.  Very much a 1985 Movie of the Week sort of thing.  You watch it because of Maggie Smith and Laura Linney, and when it's over you think 'that was cute'.

Videos