News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for The Bittersweets

Member Name: The Bittersweets
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Great songs given to minor/insignificant characters
 Feb 5 2024, 01:53:35 AM

The first thing that came to my mind is Answer Me. Not only is it given to a character with only a handful of lines, it’s one of the most important parts of the show!

Best new musical of the season
 Jan 19 2024, 10:29:53 AM

From a creative standpoint, I think it’s a race between Suffs, Days of Wine and Roses, and The Notebook so far. Much of the outcome depends on how much Suffs has been reworked in its downtime: I thought it had high highs and low lows off-Broadway. I still can’t imagine Best Score going to anyone other than Guettel (even having heard quite a bit of Notebook), but I don’t know if that necessarily translates into Best Musical. It’s definitely the busiest season in recent

The best structured musicals
 Oct 12 2023, 12:11:53 PM

I’d throw in Putnam and Bridges of Madison County. Though Bridges might be hard to do at the community level from a vocal standpoint, (when Kate Baldwin isn’t around to spoil us, that is) it’s a show that consistently has blown me away. And Putnam is perfect at the community level, the audience interaction still feels novel and the characters are so lovable/odd that it’s easy to forgive a production if the voices aren't all there.

Biggest Tony Award Snubs Ever
 Oct 9 2023, 01:37:49 AM

pethian said: "Stephen Sondheim not being nominated for music or lyrics for A FUNNY THING."

Fun fact! Just 11 days after the opening of Forum, another musical comedy set in Rome opened on Broadway in the same year! This (much lesser known) musical is called Bravo Giovanni, and it’s about a family owned Italian restaurant trying to stay afloat when a competing chain restaurant opens across the street. It opened to little fanfare and mixed revi

Biggest Tony Award Snubs Ever
 Oct 8 2023, 12:58:37 AM

My most passionately held belief is that The Drowsy Chaperone (or The Color Purple, take your pick) deserved Best Musical over Jersey Boys. I blame Jersey Boys’ win for the huge uptick in jukebox musicals coming down the pipeline these days.

Beyond that, Two Gentleman of Verona somehow beating both Grease and FOLLIES for Best Musical is a bit of a head scratcher. I’ve always wondered what the Tony voters were thinking that year.

What happened to Kerrigan-Lowdermilk?
 Aug 20 2023, 03:04:43 PM

They’ve still got a couple of shows coming down the line, hopefully! A show of theirs, Republic, is still looking for development, and from the snippets that exist online I feel it has a bright future.

THE SHARK IS BROKEN Previews
 Jul 29 2023, 10:48:40 PM

It’s a fine show. Not amazing, not terrible. The acting is the high point, the script does less than desired. The person sitting next to me called it “Waiting For Godot, if Godot was a mechanical shark.” That’s giving the script too much credit, but the comparison of styles seemed apt.

Memory play (or musical) or shows with ghosts?
 Jun 22 2023, 11:33:13 AM

Some shows that come to mind are:

- Water By The Spoonful

- Ghost Quartet

- Assassins

- The Thin Place

- quite a few Paula Vogel plays but specifically Indecent

Most suspenseful play you've seen?
 Apr 27 2023, 10:59:05 AM

The most recent one that came to mind was this year’s revival of Topdog/Underdog! That final scene definitely had a lot of people squirming in their seats.

2023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
 Apr 8 2023, 08:08:58 PM

I’m not sure if this show is too late for submission this year, but I feel Letters From Max could be a candidate. A gorgeous show, and the committee seems to be quite fond of the work of Sarah Ruhl.

Musical songs about warnings
 Apr 3 2023, 07:24:28 PM

First thing that comes to mind is A Warning to Monty from A Gentleman’s Guide.

Broadway actors with odd voices
 Mar 22 2023, 11:28:27 PM

André De Shields, Christine Ebersole, Victoria Clark, and perhaps Grace McLean as well for me!

Broadway shows are becoming embarrassingly cheap-looking
 Mar 22 2023, 10:04:17 PM

I fear there was a bit of cherry-picking in this article… Life Of Pi, Between Riverside and Crazy, and (speculation) the upcoming Here Lies Love all feel rather ‘large’ to me. Even the current production of Death Of A Salesman, which is arguably minimalist, still had a visually arresting set in my eyes. I feel Salesman is a perfect example of the difference between minimalism and ‘not trying’ in terms of set design. 

Even thinking about last season,

Michael R. Jackson's new musical 'White Girl in Danger' to premiere Off-Broadway in March 2023
 Mar 20 2023, 12:18:44 AM

This is a fascinating show! I definitely think it could benefit from quite a bit of paring, but there are some fun and funny moments sprinkled throughout the show. Michael is great at pastiche, and the first act is a really clever study of representation in traditionally ‘white’ media. 

Act 2 is where things kind of go off the rails for me. The plot swerves in a different direction, the style changes, it feels like a different (but related) show to me. Needlessly sexua

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 Feb 14 2023, 01:18:37 AM

Kimberly Akimbo super fan here (note my username, hahaha). Just finished the album and I found it very enjoyable. Many different acting choices than the ones I’ve seen on Broadway! Which is both exciting and a bit sad, as the previous choices are ingrained in my head and the reason I’m obsessed with the show. But even with these new choices, the emotion of the show still comes through.

Overall, the songs sound great. Almost too good. My favorite pa

Shucked to begin on Broadway at The Nederlander on March 8th 2023
 Jan 21 2023, 11:33:01 PM

I came across an ad today which had the following pull quote: 

“I saw it 300 times before it even opened!” - George Santos

I am so excited by their devotion to making this whole show feel campy.

Kelli O'Hara, Brian d'Arcy James to star in DAYS OF WINE & ROSES musical from LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA team
 Jan 20 2023, 12:30:58 PM

I had the privilege of hearing Kelli sing a couple of these songs a few years back. They were uniformly spectacular. It feels halfway between Floyd Collins and Light In the Piazza. I cannot wait to hear them again!

PICTURES FROM HOME - P/reviews & News Thread
 Jan 14 2023, 03:31:16 PM

I was there last night and was pleasantly surprised having gone into it entirely blind. It is definitely Danny and Nathan’s show, Zoe is a bit left behind and she had enough odd line moments that I wondered if it was somehow deliberate to her character. I’m sure that will change with time, though! Both Danny and Nathan are quite good, and I trust Zoe will get there.

I think as of now it’s a bit scattered. Thematically it’s very cohesive but I feel th

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You