News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bookofmel

bookofmel Profile Photo
Member Name: bookofmel
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

leap of faith
 Apr 25 2012, 04:05:00 PM
Well doodlenyc, from my experience if you go in not wanting to like a show you will not like it. Yep, I'm willing to be in the minority and proudly proclaim my enjoyment of this show. Who knows, maybe you'll surprise yourself and actually like it, but it will only happen if you give yourself permission to be surprised.

Clearly I am a newbie here, but so far Brantley agreed with me on Newsies and Nice Work, so here's to hoping he agrees with me on Leap of Faith. I'm going again tonight s

How come no one is talking about
 Apr 22 2012, 04:51:07 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear. It just looked like he was going through the motions very lazily. Every line was said with the exact same intonation and he came across as very bored and as though he could care less about the show. When I say there was nothing behind his eyes, it means it didn't look like there was a thought in his head other than "say this line" or "do this dance step."

And obviously it is live theater, which means actors have a different performance every night, so he could e

Rosie O'Donnell is not doing
 Apr 22 2012, 02:27:44 AM
I love the ideas of Jane Lynch and Catherine O'Hara. Any of Christopher Guest's ladies would be fantastic.

Even more fantastic? A new musical done by Christopher Guest and co. I would pay good money to see that.

How come no one is talking about
 Apr 22 2012, 02:23:57 AM
I saw this tonight. Judy Kaye, Michael McGrath, and Chris Sullivan were wonderful. Kelli sang beautifully, she was much warmer than usual and I enjoyed her performance. But Matthew... oh Matthew. I believe tonight was a press performance and it seemed as though he was just going through the motions. Like he said his lines and danced the motions, but there wasn't anything going on behind his eyes (and I was sitting close). Therefore, I couldn't connect at all to him or understand Billy's interest
BWW TV: Rise Up! Check Out Hot Video Highlights from LEAP OF FAITH on Broadway with Raul Esparza & More!
 Apr 22 2012, 02:00:24 AM
Well I really liked it, and I saw first preview which I knew was a first preview and therefore would be flawed and enjoyed it nonetheless. A friend of mine went and saw it today (and loved it) and it sounds like there were huge differences from the first preview. I'm hoping to go back in the next week or two and see what they changed.

I really do not understand all of the harsh, brutal negativity towards this show. I mean, sure it's not for everyone, but I think this show could be a sur

GHOST stopped right now
 Apr 19 2012, 11:57:10 PM
Aww man, I feel for them! How long did it take to recover?
Gatz
 Apr 10 2012, 05:35:48 PM
"I thought GATZ was a modern retelling of "cats" with all gay hip hop artists."

Hahaha! Now THAT is something I would much rather see! Gatz was too tedious for me when I saw it at the Public. I love the book, but instead of simply reading they book they decided to add additional moments that (in my opinion) didn't do anything to add to the story except make it longer. And it is sooooooo long. And it booooooored me.

NEWSIES Film Remake?
 Apr 10 2012, 05:32:35 PM
If they were going to redo the movie, I think it is very likely they would use the new version created for the stage.

With that said, I hope the re-release does well and I would never want to see this movie remade to be "better." The imperfections are what I love about it!

He had, he said, a funeral to organize.
 Apr 6 2012, 03:12:14 PM
That's lovely. What a beautiful obituary.
Porgy & Bess meets Nice Work if You Can Get It :)
 Apr 5 2012, 02:53:32 PM
This is awesome. Go Audra!! Something tells me Kelli would have a little bit more difficulty holding up Matthew in non-cartoon form...

Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner to star in revival of A Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
 Apr 5 2012, 12:11:50 PM
I would LOVE to see Jeremy Renner onstage. I think he is very talented and would be an excellent Brick.

Scarlett Johansson though? I have never been impressed with her as an actress, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt if she has a good director working with her. I understand that you need a star for plays, but I would love to one day see a Maggie the Cat that I can truly get excited about. Love the idea of Michelle Williams, I would pay to see her.

I complet

WICKED reviews??
 Apr 4 2012, 03:15:47 PM
Hahaha, this thread is hilarious! Children Will Listen, I won't hate you for loving Wicked if you don't hate me for loving Book of Mormon. Deal?
Leap Of Faith Previews
 Apr 4 2012, 02:53:02 PM
I also think that Andrew Keenan-Bolger should win Best Featured Actor for Newsies, so maybe I'm just a shill for gay men in Alan Menken musicals.

And now I know why I'm single!

Jeff Goldblum in SEMINAR?
 Apr 4 2012, 12:09:11 PM
I am really interested to hear how this went as well! I love Jeff Goldblum and think he will actually make the show much funnier than Alan Rickman did. I enjoyed Seminar when I saw it, but if Jeff is great maybe there is a chance I can love it.

Leap Of Faith Previews
 Apr 4 2012, 12:06:47 PM
Going back to the Raul/Company discussion... I have never been a fan of Company in general because Bobby is such an unlikeable character who never redeems himself imho. Jonas in Leap should be supremely unlikeable (he does some pretty unforgiveable things), but I found myself loving him. Raul finally has a juicy, fleshed out role, and the nuances in his performance were especially beautiful to watch. The man has learned how to pull back when it is necessary, be sensitive, and give to the actors
Leap Of Faith Previews
 Apr 4 2012, 12:35:07 AM
I don't know what show some of you guys were watching, but I had a great time. I wasn't bored once which unfortunately has been a problem with many of the shows I have seen lately.

Raul is unbefrickinglievable. Just electric. Can I give a hallelujah amen to that tweet?! And Kendra and he work so well together as brother and sister (as do he and Jessica- fantastic chemistry!). I really don't understand how someone wouldn't care about these characters. Not gonna lie, I got a little weepy

Don't Dress For Dinner
 Mar 31 2012, 01:18:14 AM
Same here RippedMan! So sad I missed it. This sounds hilarious, and it is definitely one I'll be adding to my must see list.
'Newsies': 'Meet Jeremy Jordan' - and how about his Tony chances?
 Mar 31 2012, 01:13:59 AM
Yeah, I don't get the Danny Burstein thing either, at least for Follies. First, it's a pretty small role to be a "leading" actor. And maybe I saw an off night (I came the final week), but he was really rough in Act One and only seemed to portray different shades of angry and really angry. I loved his number in Act Two, but overall I would never even consider nominating him based on what I saw.

I'm seeing Leap of Faith next week, and I'm very interested to see if Raul lives up to the hy

Leap of Faith has $29 balcony seats for previews
 Mar 28 2012, 06:19:43 PM
That last time I was in the balcony at the St. James was for The Producers. If I remember correctly (that was over 10 years ago!), it was very high up but I could still see everything very well. I think the amount of stairs might get to some people.

How About Laura Osnes & Sierra Boggess For SIDE SHOW?
 Mar 28 2012, 06:14:06 PM
I loved Erin Davies in A Little Night Music. I think she'd be fantastic in Side Show, even if she is in her thirties.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You