Gatz

center
#1Gatz
Posted: 4/5/12 at 12:54pm

Has anyone done rush/standby or student tickets for Gatz? The website says they are "extremely limited" and "subject to availability," so I don't know how to best approach trying for them. Thanks!

bwayrose2
#2Gatz
Posted: 4/5/12 at 2:27pm

They usually post when they have Rush on their Twitter feed. But student tickets are available and plentiful.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2Gatz
Posted: 4/5/12 at 4:50pm

They usually have rush tickets available. Get there when the box office opens.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#3Gatz
Posted: 4/5/12 at 5:02pm

I thought GATZ was a modern retelling of "cats" with all gay hip hop artists.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

center
#4Gatz
Posted: 4/5/12 at 5:17pm

Thanks all, this is super helpful!

bwayrose2
#5Gatz
Posted: 4/6/12 at 2:54pm

also, to clarify - the Public's student tickets are always advance sale, not rush. So you don't have to wait for day of. Rush is open to anyone who is there.

Baiseur82 Profile Photo
Baiseur82
#6Gatz
Posted: 4/6/12 at 11:08pm

Anyone know how much the rush tickets cost?

"I'd rater be nine peoples favorite thing, than a hundred peoples ninth favorite thing"

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7Gatz
Posted: 4/6/12 at 11:59pm

$40

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

center
#8Gatz
Posted: 4/10/12 at 3:37pm

Oh wow, I had no idea you could get student tickets in advance! Thanks!

The Public said via Twitter a few days ago that they're offering rush on Wednesdays and some Fridays, but I imagine that changes w/availability.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#9Gatz
Posted: 4/10/12 at 3:41pm

Wednesday performances are rarely sold out, since they are during the work week.

bookofmel Profile Photo
bookofmel
#10Gatz
Posted: 4/10/12 at 5:35pm

"I thought GATZ was a modern retelling of "cats" with all gay hip hop artists."

Hahaha! Now THAT is something I would much rather see! Gatz was too tedious for me when I saw it at the Public. I love the book, but instead of simply reading they book they decided to add additional moments that (in my opinion) didn't do anything to add to the story except make it longer. And it is sooooooo long. And it booooooored me.

VirginiaK
#11Gatz
Posted: 4/15/12 at 2:05pm

Just a FYI - I went on this past Friday, April 13, and got a $40 rush seat which was in addition a really great seat, in about the 5th row center.

I arrived at 1:30 for the 3 pm show. There were 2 or 3 people ahead of me, maybe 10 there by 2 when the box office opened. I think they all got in and I don't know now many more.

If this is something you think you'd like, don't miss it. This presentation makes the genius of the work totally clear. There is a section of ten minutes or so between the first break and dinner which to me is off-puttingly not good (buffoonery that is ill-supported by text and goes on too long) - don't be discouraged by it, post-dinner-break the show becomes perfect and stays that way.

Roscoe
#12Gatz
Posted: 4/15/12 at 2:11pm

It didn't make the genius of the novel totally clear to me, but opinions are gonna differ. I found a lot more to admire in the story than I'd ever found before, and was very impressed with the actor playing Gatsby, who managed to bring a degree of danger and interest to the character that I'd never found there before.

Otherwise, I've never seen what the big deal is about GATSBY. Fitzgerald seems shocked, SHOCKED, to find decadence and evil among the Very Rich, and he seems to expect me to take some significant message away from the tedious little story that he serves up with so much admittedly gorgeous prose. There's less there than meets the eye.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Videos