NEWSIES Film Remake?

TheatreKid3
#1NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 1:37pm

I know this is a little early, but I can't be the only one whose mind this has crossed. How likely would it be that, if NEWSIES catches on to be a huge hit and new name for Disney (which it looks like it will), they would consider doing a remake of the film and include the alterations to characters/music from the stage adaptation?

Disney has already set a June release date for a 20th Anniversary edition Blu Ray of the film, something I believe is a direct effect of the musical's popularity.

I don't really know if I would be in support of such a thing, because in my opinion NEWSIES should have been a stage musical from the beginning (and now that it is one I feel like it has finally become what it was always meant to be). But if it were to happen, I can't say I wouldn't be interested. I would just like to see it now have more notoriety as a theatre piece than a film.

Regardless of opinion, it is an entertaining thought/possibility nonetheless.

Updated On: 4/10/12 at 01:37 PM

rentfn
#2NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 2:09pm

I can see it happening but I don't really need another movie. Let the two be their own thing.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#2NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 2:37pm

I can already see the fan uproars when they actually cast 17 year olds instead of the OBC.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#3NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 3:01pm

I would definitely line up to watch it.

Dollypop
#4NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 3:59pm

I don't care. I hate movies.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 4:05pm

As always, thanks for sharing that bit of absolutely unnecessary information.

Dollypop
#6NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 4:11pm

As always, you're extremely welcomed.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

bookofmel Profile Photo
bookofmel
#7NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 5:32pm

If they were going to redo the movie, I think it is very likely they would use the new version created for the stage.

With that said, I hope the re-release does well and I would never want to see this movie remade to be "better." The imperfections are what I love about it!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#8NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 6:32pm

Since the original film did so well, and this version is so unbelievably different, I can totally see it happening.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#9NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 6:40pm

perhaps a Great Performances type taping of the live version first...that could go out with the re-release. Not sure that combo has ever been done before?!?!?

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#10NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 7:23pm

Wasn't this the thinking with the movie remake of "The Producers" and if I remember correctly, that didn't recoup even half of its production cost. I rather they not mess with the original Newsies movie. What they should do is attach the film the movie cast made (Blood Drips Heavily on Newsies Square). If you've never seen it, find it on YouTube. ^^

JohnyBroadway
#11NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/10/12 at 8:55pm

Hi i'm new to the board, although i've been reading the boards for quite sometime. I don't think a full theatrical remake would be necessary but I would enjoy a theatrical re-release of the original I think it might be better received by crowds with the recent Movie Musicals but I could be wrong. I do think they should keep the stage musical and Movie separate.

TheatreKid3
#12NEWSIES Film Remake?
Posted: 4/12/12 at 9:26pm

I agree. Granted, I would be excited for a new movie if they did it, but I feel the material is best served as a musical and should remain as such.

Videos