News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for YipHarburg

YipHarburg Profile Photo
Member Name: YipHarburg
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Favorite BWW Board Posts
 May 16 2011, 02:59:05 AM

KITSCH MUSEUM

Sally Struthers is going to play Paulette in Legally Blonde!
 Mar 31 2011, 08:49:46 PM
Can't help thinking how excited BigFatBlonde would have been.
re: NY Times: Grammer to star in LA CAGE?
 Nov 24 2009, 09:12:40 PM
That is a pity. I saw Grammer in SWEENEY TODD and it was embarrassing. His MACBETH was dismal.

He played the same character for twenty years... his acting muscles are pretty atrophied by now and George is a much more difficult role than you'd think. George is the gracious peace-keeper - with splash of theatricality - who is divided by the selfish wants of his son and his love for his partner.

Grammar's schtick is playing pompous. He would be much more suited for Di

Carol Channing "qoutes" Ethel Merman
 Nov 12 2009, 12:51:41 AM
Is Channing confusing a backstage visit from Merman with seeing Merman in GYPSY? Those two qoutes from Merman are clearly lines from the GYPSY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2hEMG6D_Tw&NR=1

re: The Film 'Precious' Broadway bound?
 Nov 4 2009, 06:23:59 PM
What is Jennifer Holliday up to?

No one sings "angry" better!

re: Attention Tommy Tune !
 Oct 30 2009, 07:30:22 PM
Well I remember for WHOREHOUSE, NINE and GRAND HOTEL they were essentially one-set with all action bordered by the constant reminder of the set's strict parameters. For me they were like watching the show in a snow globe or a petri dish.

I remember having a similar reaction seeing the first act of GREY GARDENS.. but in that case the sense of confinement re-enforced the central character's oppressive circumstances. In act two the frame was broken and audience's imagination was le

re: Oh Dear
 Oct 30 2009, 06:20:10 PM
She reminds me of Mary Roach from AMERICAN IDOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUyKpfbB9M8

I wonder if they are related.

Oct 30 2009, 06:12:14 PM
What I meant by "self-limited" was for those first three shows Tune chose to work in specific spacial confines ... so much so that the audience was forced to focus on the world only within the proscenium.. however so much musical material is emotionally expansive. It inspires your imagination to stretch the picture presented to you. However with Tune you are always forced back into the box.

As an audience member I found it frustrating and claustrophobic.

With the later tw

Oct 30 2009, 05:41:24 PM
"Absolutely pal, and to quote our friend Jerry Robbins-"if it works- take it. Borrow it- steal it- make it your own"

that's certainly what Tune did here"

I see your point. After all Jews were dancing with bottles on their heads way before FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.

At the end of the day I still don't see what is so great about Tune as director/choreographer. WHOREHOUSE, NINE and GRAND HOTEL made me feel claustrophobic with his self-limited use of space. WILL ROGERS

Oct 29 2009, 09:06:19 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I've always found him to be a so-so director and choreographer. The "sit-down" segment of FAVORITE SON was the one bit of Tune staging that really sparkled for me. Oh well...

Go to 1:15 to see the Tune version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9-1XutZfPY

re: FINIANS RAINBOW REVIEWS
 Oct 29 2009, 08:57:11 PM
It is heart-warming to see such positive reviews so far.

I've loved this show all my life and I'm glad to see it alive on Broadway after so many years.

Congratulations to everyone involved!

re: Which Finian's Rainbow Cast Recording is the Best?
 Oct 28 2009, 07:42:12 PM
As much as I adore Ella Logan in the OBC recording, I find myself listening to 1960 revival most. It really is the best.

Also, the film Soundtrack is pretty good.. if only for Petula Clark.

re: Some Thoughts on Rich/Sondheim Conversation
 Oct 27 2009, 04:36:44 PM
Interesting...

I have privately thought of all the shows Sondheim wrote with Weidman as the "histories," a classification we use in the same way we describe a number of Shakespeare's plays.

re: Dunaway Filming 'Master Class' in Detroit
 Oct 26 2009, 12:15:25 PM
Michael Bennett,

I saw Caldwell and Lupone multiple times, Dunaway 1 1/2 times.

As a showman and in-general performer I appreciate LuPone, as an actress I am not as enthusiastic. However, to be fair, LuPone did a splendid job. I remember McNally commenting that LuPone brought her innate sense of music to the stage, which I agree with.

LuPone's big handicap was following Caldwell. Replacing was something I recall she never did as a rule, b

Dunaway Filming "Master Class" in Detroit
 Oct 24 2009, 11:44:58 PM

http://www.playbill.com/playblog/?p=2037

Caldwell created one of the most extraordinary performances I have ever seen. Caldwell filled your soul with a love of art and an appreciation for humanity. Truly Miraculous.

Dunaway not only tortured her "students" but the audience as well. Same play, same set, same costumes, same director... but OY! Caldwell made you love theatre and art, Dunaway made you hate theatre and loathe art.

Still.. I'll be first in line to see it. Either way it promises to be memorable.

re: Favorite Book Scenes
 Oct 20 2009, 06:10:15 PM
For my money, the "miscegenation scene" from SHOW BOAT is not only the best scene ever written for musical theatre, but probably the most important scene ever written in musical theatre.

Without the success of that scene SHOW BOAT is just a soap-operetta. That scene alone took musical theatre to the next level which allowed for dangerous topics to be explored.

Almost a century later it is still packs a punch that nothing the "so-called" shocking shows (from WEST SIDE STORY to

re: Good shows with unusual/bad staging
 Sep 3 2009, 12:22:16 PM
A classic example of this is the original production of the musical version of MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG.

Underneath the ugly set, laughable costumes and awkward staging was a much better show waiting to be discovered.

re: Wizard of Oz RSC Olivier Awards
 Jul 25 2009, 11:13:50 PM
Did Dorothy have a gap in her teeth?
re: Marilyn Cooper Dies
 Apr 23 2009, 01:37:03 PM
A wonderful talent with an enviable career.

Thanks for the great performances, Marilyn!

re: FINIAN'S RAINBOW to move to Broadway in the fall...
 Apr 2 2009, 05:11:49 PM
Yay!!!!!!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You