News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for noplain

Member Name: noplain
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Love Never Dies Melbourne Leads Announced!
 Feb 2 2011, 03:57:07 PM
Meet the cast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yJEjRcnggM
LOVE NEVER DIES to Open at Melbourne's Regent Theatre, May 2011; PRISCILLA'
 Oct 16 2010, 10:39:17 PM
With the Adelaide Cabaret Festival in June, I can't imagine Campbell could take on this role.
The Challenges of Creating and Reviewing a Revival
 Jul 24 2010, 08:23:49 PM
Well, yes okay, "dated" can be fine. But I more meant plays that seem completely racist or sexist and undermining now, or at the other end of the scale, we once scandalous, and now are common place. Sometimes those plays just don't work now. Some topical shows can be dated within a matter of months! Some plays are made to stand up, some are such a commentary on their time that they just don't work anymore. Some are a commentary on their time and that is exactly why they still work. It's a
The Challenges of Creating and Reviewing a Revival
 Jul 24 2010, 11:48:08 AM
I started working professionally as a reviewer in Feb of this year, in a city where shows aren't labelled as "revival" or otherwise. They may be referred to as new, or city/state premiere, bit I don't think I've ever seen revival or not. So I don't know if it's because of that or not, but I AMWAYS critique the score/book/play script, regardless of if it is first production or fifth - I'm young enough (21) I'm probably seeing it for the first time, and so I assume others are too. Like dramama
Twittering at a Show
 Jul 16 2010, 06:39:24 PM
There has been a big discussion on this in the Australian theatre world this week, check out #tweetseats on twitter.
What is the biggest misconception about Broadway?
 Jun 21 2010, 08:46:55 AM
In Australia, I often see adds saying "Broadway musical" or "played on Broadway" to describe any show which played in New York, on- or off-Broadway, or any other house. So there is the misconception (or deception?) that all New York theatre = Broadway.
re: Bernadette Peters at Adelaide ?
 Jun 14 2010, 10:16:14 AM
https://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/812404
Wall Street Journal Questions Necessity of Previews; BroadwayWorld Quoted
 Jan 22 2010, 03:17:39 AM
When The Rain Stops Falling has its US debut off-Broadway this year, after a preview period of 28 performances. At its World Premiere at the 2008 Adelaide Festival of The Arts it played 24 shows total, and I think three or four of those were preview performances. This was then a brand new script, never before performed anywhere, and they used just three or four previews; when it performs in New York it will be it's fifth city and third production. I can't see that it could be pe
A Few Questions About Directors...
 Jan 20 2010, 07:52:06 AM
3. This depends on the production. For Wicked in Australia Lisa Leguillou actually did the physical direction in the country - if Joe Mantello came down and did some work I'm not sure - but Leguillou (who I believe was AD on Broadway?) is credited as "Australian Director" and she was the person who received the credit with a Helpmann nomination (and win), which the producers had to specifically enter her in for consideration (ie, it wasn't a decision of LPA, it was the show's own choice)
re: Ragtime's January promotion
 Dec 27 2009, 02:57:43 AM
If they're discounting so many tickets, wouldn't it be better to just drastically drop the price of a full price ticket, and then advertise as "The Cheapest Tickets On Broadway!" or something similar?
re: Colorado Supreme Court upholds ban of smoking onstage
 Dec 18 2009, 06:02:07 PM
In my city you're not allowed to smoke fake cigarettes (so herbal / clove) on stage without a special exemption which must be posted on huge signs at all entrances to the theatre; something to the effect of "This production contains cigarette smoking. All actors use herbal cigarettes. An exemption has been granted from the No Smoking Inside Act of 2006." However, if they're smoking a joint - and I assume they just use the exact same fake herbal stuff - you don't need any exemption or signs.
re: BAM's STREETCAR to come to Broadway??
 Dec 18 2009, 05:45:38 PM
It would probably have to be arranged to be done in the months Cate has off from being AD to do films. Also, she couldn't do six months (like is stated as required in the first article) starting Summer 2010, because she's doing Uncle Vanya in Sydney opening November 2010. It seems like it would be too much to organise while she is AD of the STC.
re: They Had No Money In The Budget For A Set
 Dec 6 2009, 10:45:11 PM
After reading this thread, I happened to find an interesting blog about word vs. design in theatre from a completely unrelated google search http://whitewhaletheatre.wordpress.com/2009/09/16/the-word/
re: Things not going well in auditions for title role in Australian Mary Po
 Nov 24 2009, 01:39:57 AM
I think the search can stop now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JykbGBRxFag
re: Things not going well in auditions for title role in Australian Mary Poppins
 Nov 18 2009, 04:55:27 PM
It's a publicity stunt. Nothing more, nothing less.
re: BWW TV: Stage Tube - Bernadette Peters in Concert Preview
 Oct 16 2009, 06:38:18 AM
I'm pretty sure you're right, it's Adelaide ITA, I need that DVD!
re: Bernadette Peters at Adelaide ?
 Sep 16 2009, 06:54:25 AM
It was Shenedoah with a harmonica player - I was there, row G centre :)
re: Greatest Speeches in Broadway/Theater History?
 Sep 15 2009, 04:47:46 AM
Could these be the sort of things you're looking for? "speeches by prominent Australian theatre practitioners, and includes the texts of selected Philip Parsons Memorial Lectures and Rex Cramphorn Memorial Lectures."

Quite removed from Broadway, but some interesting reading.

http://www.currency.com.au/essays-speeches-online.aspx

re: David Bologna gets nominated for BILLY ELLIOT!?!! Doesn't he share a r
 May 6 2009, 07:02:51 PM
100% true. They had the knowledge that none of the Michael's in England or Australia were nominated for their awards so it didn't occur to them that one would be nominated here.

The Australian Mchaels just won a Green Room award in Melbourne.

re: N2N Soundtrack
 Apr 6 2009, 07:11:59 PM
I think I've figured out this missed up labelling: You Don't Know should be Alice Ripley, then every artist label from that down to Why Stay/A Promise should be moved down one spot.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You