News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for At-the-glen

Member Name: At-the-glen
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

"Ranking" theater critics/publications
 Dec 5 2017, 12:23:59 AM
Just want to mourn the loss of Linda Winer’s reviews, I nearly always agreed with her and she was always one for finding the heart and soul of a piece.
2017 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Performances
 Nov 23 2017, 08:01:59 PM
Is this the first time that a songwriting team has had two performances on the parade, I wonder?
Betsy Wolfe begins performances tonight in WAITRESS
 Nov 23 2017, 10:06:07 AM
Anya is played as mid-twenties in the show, not fresh out of the orphanage as in the film. I don’t think it likely, but she’s also not really too old.
Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
 Oct 5 2017, 05:57:13 PM

Additionally if you’re going to cast an unknown Higgins Equity should be kicking up a fuss that’s he’s not American. If they were going to cast young anyway there were Americans there. 

Oct 5 2017, 03:19:54 PM

Pass on everybody but Diana Rigg and this part isn’t really big enough for her Broadway return is it. 

Favorite
 Sep 22 2017, 10:03:22 PM

Carnival! Based on the lovely little film Lili. 

Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
 Sep 18 2017, 11:33:54 PM

wicked_beast4 said: ugh I TOTALLY forgot that pregnancy only happens when it's planned!"

Most women with high-stakes careers plan their pregnancies, what an obtuse thing to say.

Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
 Sep 18 2017, 11:15:22 PM

Her clear Carousel excitement in recent days just makes it seem like she would've done some different planning if she were trying to get pregnant. 

Changes to Big River?
 Sep 18 2017, 08:43:06 PM

The recent Encores! production included. Either of those things, perhaps there's been a revision?

Bandstand--poor name & marketing?
 Sep 18 2017, 08:37:26 PM

I was interested in all of the parts separately: historical musicals, PTSD, swing dancing, pastiche jazz music, Laura Osnes and Corey Cott. The problem is all together they add up to the most whitebread show in years. Laura Osnes and Corey Cott are just so wonderfully square on their own that they've got to be paired with more daring material or more daring people (that's why Bonnie and Clyde worked for me). It didn't help that the show was so straight, white, male

Aug 23 2017, 11:30:38 PM

Should be Ashley Park. With Conrad Ricamora as Freddy. 

Groundhog Day: Lottery, discount code or TKTS?
 Aug 13 2017, 01:00:16 PM

I've entered the lottery twice and won both times and the seats were the same, almost center front row mezz and they were great. 

Favorite book about the theater? Here are 15
 Aug 11 2017, 02:07:42 PM

Came back to add Before the Parade Passes By: Gower Champion and the Glorious American Musical which marks an interesting counterpoint to The Abominable Showman as well as Razzle Dazzle's history of the Shuberts. I find the different factions that developed in the sixties and seventies fascinating.

Aug 10 2017, 06:34:33 PM

I didn't verify sources or anything, but the book is much more scholarly than his column. It seems to me a very even-handed look at the period. 

Aug 9 2017, 10:27:01 PM

Alan Jay Lerner's The Street Where I Live may be my favourite, as well as the vastly underrated Underfoot in Show Business by Helene Hanff.

I'm currently in the middle of Free for All: Joe Papp, The Public, and the Greatest Theatre Story Ever Told which I'm enjoying; Riedel's Razzle Dazzle also dealt with the same period in an intriguing way. 

Seeking thoughts on fall shows
 Aug 9 2017, 10:11:36 PM

People Places and Things at St Ann's Warehouse might be the drama to catch this autumn. Denise Gough is supposed to be tremendous. 

Riedel on more Comet Drama
 Aug 9 2017, 10:07:12 PM

For my money, Howard Sherman in The Stage has it right: 

https://www.thestage.co.uk/opinion/2017/howard-sherman-bad-producing-decisions-made-great-comet-musical-crash-earth/

The Great Comet is burning out, and taking Natasha and Pierre with it. 

Unlike the recent closing of the play Indecent, which managed to go out as a triumph, with its final week also its bestselling after a six-week reprieve, Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 is closing amid controversy, rancour and disappointment. This is a shame for a work that was in many ways more ambitious than much of what reaches Broadway. Great Comet ends its run on September 3. 

Recapping what Mark Shenton has already chronicled, the producers of Great Comet had replaced their original Pierre, Josh Groban, at the end of his planned run, with Okieriete Onaodowan, a member of the original cast of Hamilton. However, seeing that the show’s grosses were declining, and projecting further drops, the producers, led by Howard Kagan, announced just weeks after the actor began that Onaodowan, known to all as ‘Oak’, would depart early. His last three weeks would be performed by Mandy Patinkin, the original star of both Evita and Sunday in the Park With George on Broadway, who himself would stay for only three weeks. 

The news that Patinkin would supplant Oak was met with significant pushback online, decrying the sudden decision to replace an actor of colour with a white performer. Within a day, Patinkin withdrew and Oak made clear he wouldn’t be returning. 

After the initial wave of anger over what many perceived as racial insensitivity, if not outright racism, the story took a turn. Some pointed out that the production had a racially diverse cast and that, in defending Oak, they might be dooming the show without the box office boost from Patinkin. Dozens of people would be put out of work. Some will undoubtedly argue that that is what has come to pass. 

But is that the case? 

Regardless of the make-up of the show’s original or current cast, the decision summarily to replace an actor of colour, who was only scheduled to be in the show for two months, with a much older white man for a mere three weeks, was truly bad optics at the very least. At a time when racial representation in the arts is a subject of constant conversation, the decision looked awful, even if it was made with the intention of sustaining the show. But racial conflagration doesn’t sell seats. At least, I hope not. 

No one claimed that Oak was giving a bad performance. Having seen two other Pierres, I can state that he was at least the equal of both. The fact that business fell off without Groban shouldn’t have surprised anyone, least of all the producers, since they were going from a major recording star with a huge fan base to a talented working actor taking on his first above-the-title role. 

The cataclysm that hit Great Comet is rooted in the decision to cast Groban originally 

Pierre is, in many ways, not really a star part, except that a star has played it. 

On the one hand his presence no doubt lifted the show’s economic prospects considerably. While Great Comet was stupendously creative and ambitious, unlike few Broadway entries in my 35-plus years of seeing Broadway shows, it was also sufficiently unconventional to make it difficult to compete with more conventionally structured works, whether Dear Evan Hansen or Waitress. Groban helped to bridge what, for some, might have been an unapproachable chasm of style. 

But very often, once a show has a star, audiences come to expect a star throughout the run, even if each star is successively less famous. The Producers never really recovered on Broadway once Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick left (save for when they returned). Hello, Dolly! rides on the ability to cast almost any big-name musical actress over 40 in the title role, though Bette Midler is generating stratospheric grosses given her fame relative to the size of the theatre. But no one decides to see The Lion King or Cats based primarily on who is in it. The show, in effect, becomes the star. 

Would Patinkin have boosted the box office? Yes, I imagine so. I certainly would have enjoyed seeing him – although not once I understood his presence was unceremoniously supplanting Oak. 

Let’s also not forget that he was going in for only three weeks, until September 3. So what we have learned was that Great Comet was probably closing anyway. All Patinkin would have done was to yield three weeks of greater profits before the bottom fell out. If the producers had any idea, or plan, of what to do after September 3, it’s not in evidence. 

One has to admire the producers of Great Comet for getting it to Broadway, giving it wider exposure than it had at Ars Nova or Kazino, the tent that housed its runs in the Meatpacking District and in a parking lot off Eighth Avenue. 

But just as Great Comet started with an entirely unnecessary dispute over a contractual billing credit for Ars Nova, which flared publicly in a very ugly fashion, so too it is going out the same way. The racial controversy arose out of an effort to squeeze the few last dollars out of the show, both Oak and Mandy were put into untenable positions, and all of that served to obscure the fact that the production was going to close no matter what. 

Let’s remember the creative success of Great Comet and the many talented people in and behind it. But let’s also remember the unthinking and perhaps ugly producing decisions that marred its achievements, because they shouldn’t have happened at all.

BANDSTAND will close September 17th
 Aug 9 2017, 09:59:30 PM

Does this mean I'm too late to make a 'Blandstand' joke?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You