News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MRA

Member Name: MRA
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

FALLING Reviews
 Oct 16 2012, 09:10:48 PM
A few more -- all positive, if a little spoilery:

New Jersey Newsroom: http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/new-york-theater/review-falling-studies-life-with-an-autistic-teenager

Entertainment Weekly: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20364394_20639485,00.html

Rex Reed in the Observer: http://observer.com/2012/10/falling-rex-reed-daniel-everidge/

NY Times: http://theater.nytimes.com/2012/10/17/theater/reviews/falling-at-minetta-lane-looks-at-autisms-role-in-a-family.html?_r=0

Sutton Foster / The Unsinkable Molly Brown Reading
 Dec 21 2011, 08:03:11 PM
Oh, henrikegerman, *slow clap*
Sutton Foster / The Unsinkable Molly Brown Reading
 Dec 20 2011, 08:24:51 PM
I thought the revival was being groomed for Reba. Is this no longer the case?
Queen of the Mist: RECORDING ANNOUNCED!
 Dec 15 2011, 04:39:29 PM
Absolutely terrific news for a great cast and wonderful score!

Sh-K-Boom/Ghostlight owns a piece of my heart for all they do.

Wicked Divas Akron
 Oct 30 2011, 07:34:58 PM
She mentioned in an interview she had to back out of symphony dates because of QotM, & Akron was the one scheduled for during the run. Based on other re-casts, Eden or Nicole Parker is the most likely replacement Elphaba.

Mauzey has replaced Block at all other Wicked Divas dates Block's had to cancel.

Wicked Divas Akron
 Oct 30 2011, 11:42:19 AM
Alli Mauzey is replacing Block.

Murney is out due to Queen of the Mist, no word on her replacement.

Julia Murney singing 'So Anyway' from Next to Normal
 Aug 7 2011, 09:27:47 PM
The pianist is Paul Masse. He and Ms. Murney did "First You Dream" together at the Signature a couple of years ago. Very talented guy, and they have a great performer/accompanist chemistry.
Menzel to Replace LuPone in Opening NSO Pops Season 10/28-10/30
 Jul 27 2010, 08:23:00 PM
She did fill in for Bernadette, too. Looks like she picked a really good time to embark upon this symphonic endeavor. She's been really well-received, and has sounded amazing.
Please Explain the Appeal of Julia Murney
 Jun 12 2010, 08:34:27 PM
I've been a fan of Julia's since long before Wicked. What is her appeal? There's something about her when she is on stage. One thing I've noticed is that seeing in person her makes the difference for those that proclaim to not like her. I've found this to be the case more than once.

(Personal aside, no one should be judged by bootleg clips on youtube. Especially not for shows with wonky scores like Wicked.)

She has a strong voice, with a solid range. She has a powerful vibrato

re: Chenoweth cancels - HELP!
 Nov 20 2009, 09:41:50 AM
From a comment she made, it does seem that Ms. Hilty has not had the concert experience that Ms. Murney has, especially in that kind of setting. This undoubtedly affected the comfort level of each of them in front of the crowd.

It also may come down to the type of performer. Ms. Hilty seems to approach each song as a song. If she has a character to attach to it, as she did with the Wicked tunes, then she acts. Otherwise she just sings -- not saying that's a bad thing. In contrast, Ms.

re: Chenoweth cancels - HELP!
 Nov 13 2009, 10:09:20 PM
I can't say anything for Ms. Hilty, as I've never seen her perform, but I've seen Ms. Murney a number of times in various venues and she's never disappointed me. I hope you go and enjoy.

Bobby, though I disagree with your assessment of Ms. Murney, I do agree that Ms. Chenoweth is an incredible performer and hope she makes a fast and full recovery.

re: Alice Ripley's replacement in N2N?
 Aug 24 2009, 09:09:53 PM
I adore Reba and think she could do amazing things with the score -- probably better than a lot of people think she could -- but honestly do not think she could handle the heaviness of the part or the intensity of the character.
re: Casting Idea: Julia Murney as Ursula for the national tour of 'Little M
 Aug 13 2009, 08:29:30 AM
Of the tours coming up, I see this one as the least likely, but you never know.

Sondheim_Geek, I'd had the thought about Morticia as well, but also wonder if she would do the standby thing.

re: Favorite Vibrato Moments
 Jul 9 2009, 10:51:25 AM
Speaking of Julia Murney -- those referenced in the previous comment be dismissed -- "Out of the Blue" and "How Did We Come to This?" from The Wild Party cast recording.

Amazing vibrato throughout, but those two stand out. I especially love the last part of the latter song -- "No witness, no weakness, and no regrets". Chills still, after all these years.

re: Bernadette's ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Revival
 Jul 8 2009, 02:30:42 PM
So she was really that good?

Reba? Yeah. She really was. It was one of those "made to play the part" things.

FINALS: Hair vs. next to normal
 Jun 4 2009, 01:13:31 PM
Hair - 14
Next to Normal - 9

re: Wild Party, Composer Question
 May 10 2009, 01:26:25 PM
It is nice to read a thread on this subject that includes intelligent commentary.

My opinion is, while sharing source material, characters, even opening lines, these recordings should be considered and enjoyed as separate entities.

The first thing to note is that LaChuisa's version is a full recording of the show, while Lippa's is not. There are a few transitional pieces missing from the Lippa recording, including a key confrontational quartet between the leads.

LaCh

May 9 2009, 03:21:43 PM
It is nice to read a thread on this subject that includes intelligent commentary.

My opinion is, while sharing source material, characters, even opening lines, these recordings should be considered and enjoyed as separate entities.

The first thing to note is that LaChuisa's version is a full recording of the show, while Lippa's is not. There are a few transitional pieces missing from the Lippa recording, including a key confrontational quartet between the leads.

LaCh

May 9 2009, 03:15:05 PM

LaCh

4/26 - Scott vs. Ripley, Benanti vs. Murney
 Apr 25 2009, 11:55:55 PM
Sherie Rene Scott - 4
Alice Ripley - 7

Laura Benanti - 6
Julia Murney - 5

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You