News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Broadway Guru

Member Name: Broadway Guru
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

A Question about Blackbird
 Apr 6 2016, 11:14:15 AM

Actually I got her confused with Sofia Rubino.

Close, but no cigar. The girls come and go so quickly in Matilda....and Sofia Rubino is in School of Rock now....would be hard for her to do both shows (although it's been done before).

A Question about Blackbird
 Apr 6 2016, 10:11:16 AM

JBroadway said: "Personally, I'm less curious about their decision not to include her in the Playbill, and more curious about:

(A) Why Caruso is not even listed on IBDB. Are they going to add her to the cast when the show closes and there's no risk of spoilers? I think this is her Broadway debut, and she deserves to have her own IBDB page with that credit listed. 

(B) Who the background people are, and why they're not in the Play

Support and Love Thread!!!
 Mar 11 2016, 11:12:43 AM

BakerWilliams said: "heartheartheartheartEarly April multi-show trip (I know, I know...)
 Jan 29 2016, 08:12:43 AM

ebontoyan said: "^You don't need to put down my opinion to make your own point! Everyone can have whatever opinion they want! Oh well what can one do with such people?!

Have fun on making your choices OP! And enjoy your trip to NYC!

"No one is making fun of your opinion or putting you down.  I'm just pointing out the differences between the two shows and explaining why

Ticketmaster Resale: A Rant (Hamilton)
 Jan 28 2016, 10:53:05 PM

Let me first say I am  not one of those people who use bots and buy up huge blocks of tickets. I'm just a single guy who was aggressive when the blocks of Hamilton tickets went on sale. As a result I have four tickets on the aisle second row of the orchestra for one night and two tickets third row aisle seats in the front mezzanine for another night.

Those tickets are mine. I paid for them. With my credit card. They belong to me. What I do with them is now up to me.

If I

Early April multi-show trip (I know, I know...)
 Jan 28 2016, 10:41:06 PM

ebontoyan said: "I will skip School of Rock and go with Fiddler. I went to School of Rock, too loud, boring, gave me a  headache and we left even before intermission (and that was a first for me I always try to make it thru intermission at least!) Fiddler is so lovely and such a classic!

It is not surprising in the least that someone who likes Fiddler because it is so lovely and such a classic would hate SOR.

SOR is not a lovely classic. What it is is&

What's with the hatred of Cats?
 Jan 21 2016, 10:16:44 PM

broadwayguy2 said: "Cats is not a terrible show. It's a solid concept review and the original had impressive production values, whether the massive Broadway production or the far more intimate and notably different original London production (and the very low budget version that initially opened.) the original staging is beyond iconic and I am very grateful.

That stated, shows that run as long as Cats did usually become dusty, terribly maintained and h

Breaking News: CATS to Return to Broadway This Summer; Andy Blankenbuehler Joins Team
 Jan 21 2016, 01:57:36 PM

orangeskittles said: "CATSNYrevival- I wasn't aware TS Eliot rose from the dead in the 1980s and purposefully decided to write a musical about cats dancing around a garbage dump in spandex.

"The mess" I was referring to was actually the attention surrounding the first Broadway revival of a musical that ran for too long based on overhype that makes Hamilton look like a sleeper hit in compa

School of Rock Ongoing Thread...
 Jan 10 2016, 12:41:22 AM

RippedMan said: "Herculean? Evita is a tough role. Jesus/Judas are tough roles. Elphaba is a tough role. The Elephant Man is a tough role. Dewey in School of Rock is not a tough role. And the show hasn't even been up 3 months and the understudies have all gone on? That doesn't bode well. 

Are you sure that you saw the SCHOOL OF ROCK that's playing at the Winter Garden Theatre on 50th and Broadway? If you did you would know that Dewey i

Jan 10 2016, 12:21:58 AM

Alex did the matinee today. He did not do the evening show.

Jan 10 2016, 12:20:24 AM

Working at the show I've seen both of them many, many times. All I can say is that they really do each have their own take on the role. They both have different ad libs and bits of business that they throw in. They certainly don't copy each other's line readings...they are even different vocally.

In short, the whole feel of the show is somewhat different....at least to me....Everyone is going to have their own opinion as to who is better.

If you enjoyed the show I woul

School Of Rock Rush
 Jan 7 2016, 11:41:18 PM

I work at the show and suggest getting there fairly early if you want to come on a weekend. We are almost always sold out, with standing room, Fri - Sun.....Tues - Thurs tends to have smaller houses so I would encourage anyone who is thinking of rushing to try a weekday if they can. There should be more tickets available with better locations.

Jan 7 2016, 11:37:21 PM

I work at the show, and it is untrue to say that Alex does not do matinees. Yes, he takes some off, as well as the occasional weeknight, but he does not take every matinee off. Andrew had originally offered him the opportunity to have an alternate, but he turned it down saying that he wanted to do 8 shows a week.

Anyone who has seen the show knows that that is a Herculean task so he is out sometimes. All in all, though, his stamina and attendance are incredible for this type of role.

Rear Mezzanine at the Majestic Theater
 Dec 16 2015, 09:33:50 AM

One other thing to note about the Rear Mezz at the Majestic is that there are no handrails, and it is quite steep. It is a little scary walking up, and especially down, the many stairs. This is especially true if you have to get up during the show for any reason, and the theater is dark. 

School of Rock front row lottery?
 Dec 16 2015, 09:29:58 AM

I don't know too much about lottery vs. rush tickets and what the current policy is.

I can tell you that, while the lottery was originally for front row seats, that changed during previews.

In addition there was Standing Room for last Fri, Sat. matinee, Sat. evening, and Sun. matinee. 

The show is not selling out during the week so if you are interested in rush tickets a weeknight is probably your best chance.

Hope that helps. 

SCHOOL OF ROCK Reviews
 Dec 6 2015, 11:58:44 PM

If you check out the musicals website they have an ongoing recruiting process for the kids. Kids can audition via video for the show.

With an advance of over $5 million, generally good reviews, good word of mouth, and what I consider to be a great show I think it will run much longer than a year.

All the kids are on chorus contracts so, other than the cost of the tutoring and guardian, I'm not sure why you would think that kid shows are more expensive to run.

Fiddler on the Roof Previews
 Dec 6 2015, 11:54:33 PM

Does anyone know what the current running time is? Someone who works there told me the curtain didn't go down until 11:20 at the first preview. Have they shortened it?

School of Rock Previews
 Dec 6 2015, 11:49:44 PM

Mike White came the other night.

SCHOOL OF ROCK Reviews
 Dec 6 2015, 11:01:27 PM

I'll take that. Especially since the kids are onstage jamming for a large part of it. The story centers around the kids and their journeys. If they didn't shine it would be in big trouble.

Although you have to admit that many of them also singled out Alex Brightman. If you haven't seen the show take me word for it. He is a force of nature.

School of Rock Previews
 Dec 6 2015, 10:58:17 PM

Quite a few celebrities came out for the opening tonight. Joan Collins, Jerry Stiller, Stevie Nicks, Andy Karl, Orfeh to name just a few of my favorites.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You