News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for nycward

Member Name: nycward
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Life & Slimes of Marc Summers  Feb 17 2024, 12:40:14 AM

We were there tonight and unknowingly sat in the front row. A bit of slime did land on my white puffer jacket. It wiped off immediately and was no big deal at all. I had no idea who Marc Summers was but my partner grew up watching Double Dare and wanted to go. Frankly, it was quite charming and ultimately a touching and funny 90 minute show. Many dates are available on TDF so it was well worth a night out.

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Sep 25 2023, 06:07:56 PM

My tix are HH 205 and 204. They are now considered partial view. I'll see where they "upgrade"  me as that is what the email said.

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Sep 25 2023, 02:22:59 PM

I just received an email this morning saying that my seats in the side section of the stage is now considered Partial View. They will be reseating me but I'm fearful that it will be all the way in the back. Let's see what they do.

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Aug 28 2023, 06:24:34 PM

The Shed was a wonderful space to present Straight Line Crazy earlier this year. I and many others enjoyed it immensely. As soon as I got my tix for Here We Are I've been envisioning it on that stage and I think after reading the Frank Rich interview it is an inspiring choice.

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Jul 20 2023, 11:41:57 PM

and performances don't start till the Fall. It will eventually sell most of the tix prior to opening and we will all be there for the ride. Not really surprised that the process was easy with so many seats remaining. Like the previous poster said. We are "Niche." Proud f***ing Niche. But alas, we don't totally represent the majority of New York Theatre goers....at least not at the moment. I loved watching Straight Line Crazy in this space so a bare bones concert of a product

What next for Jodie Comer?  Jul 4 2023, 07:55:38 PM

Of course it won’t happen but can we only imagine what her Sally  Bowles would be like opposite Eddie Redmayne ? Too much to fantasize? Her rendition of Cabaret would be up there with Natasha Richardson!!!!!!

Phantom[s] Return!!!  Apr 22 2023, 06:24:29 PM

I directed the California production of the Yeston / Kopit beginning at the Bakersfield Civic Light Opera that traveled on to San Jose I believe. It was really quite charming in its construction actually. 

LIFE OF PI Reviews  Mar 31 2023, 12:54:19 AM

I saw this piece a couple of weeks ago (compliments of TDF) and being in row P placed us about two thirds back (I would surmise.) The projections on the floor were easy to see so I can see how half of the orchestra (prime seating by most measures) would be problematic. Really a shame that if the equity rule was to blame, this physical production suffered.  

PICTURES FROM HOME - P/reviews & News Thread  Feb 9 2023, 11:40:30 AM

I think Jordan gets to an important point about age and the relevancy of this piece. Once you get in touch with your own mortality and begin the journey of "parenting your parents" (a topic that comes up often in my Psychotherapy practice), the introspection of the "circle of life" becomes quite relevant. I too am curious about the age of the people who respond well to this as opposed to those to don't regardless of any constructive criticism about the quality of the w

PICTURES FROM HOME - P/reviews & News Thread  Feb 4 2023, 07:15:31 PM

I caught this on Friday night and I think that so far I am the most enthusiastic about the evening. I found it to be thoughtful, engaging and quite moving (as well as funny of course.) The concept and usage of the film and photos was appropriate for the piece and direct communication with the audience worked well. After all, the son is a college professor and the direct engagement seemed appropriate. It was a well cast evening that mined all of the pathos and comedy. Is it because I am only a

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/29/23  Jan 31 2023, 08:35:08 PM

I think that we are only talking about a handful of musicals that have originated Off-Broadway without a non profit support mechanism that could survive in today's economic environment. I don't think there is much to gain financially from producing a musical off-broadway. I think the goal is always to find a payday with the Broadway imprimatur or perhaps a film or streaming option like Trevor.  Kinda sad really. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/29/23  Jan 31 2023, 04:14:15 PM

II kinda think that "Off-Broadway" and "Musical" has become an oxymoron. With the exception of Little Shop and the Yiddish Fiddler does any musical really enjoy a commercial for profit run anymore? 

Phantom Closing?  Oct 2 2022, 02:20:50 PM

So last week when Phantom of the Opera posted its closing notice my partner  told me that he’d never seen a production and as I hadn’t seen the show since it’s London premiere we thought we’d go back underground at the Palais Garnier once again. I began to think about that experience I had when I first encountered the Phantom in person. It was the summer of 1987 and I was in London directing a production of Lanford Wilson’s The Hot L Baltimore that we were t

DEATH OF A SALESMAN 2022 Previews  Oct 1 2022, 03:03:46 PM

I caught a performance earlier in the week compliments of TDF. We had extraordinary seats which was great for us but unfortunately may say something about the box office performance. We enjoyed it tremendously. Having seen a number of productions through the years the best compliment that I can give is that the production felt as if it was always written about a black family in post war New York. It kept me focused and present throughout the 3 hours (on the dot to cope with Equity overtime ru

Sher to direct Intimate Apparel Musical at LCT off-Broadway  Jan 23 2022, 01:18:03 AM

I saw the piece tonight courtesy of TDF and I have to say that on the whole I liked it a lot. It is a true chamber opera so if you appreciate the art form you will not be disappointed. I will say that the first act does take a while to get started as one needs to set the time, place and characterizations, yet it felt a bit long. Act two was beautifully realized. My only complaint is that the two piano orchestration felt terribly repetitious. The opera really called out for some string augment

Company Previews Thread  Dec 7 2021, 12:15:26 PM

binau said: "Minor point but I don’t think this was a National Theatre production in London and was certainly not at the National like many of her other productions that transferred."

My Mistake.  You're indeed correct. Thank you

Company Previews Thread  Dec 7 2021, 11:56:17 AM

Yes. I did notice the Alice In Wonderland imagery as well as the rest of the childhood imagery from the Poster to the Side By Side children Birthday party. I'm just not sure what that brings to the fears of adult, loneliness which is the foundation of this musical. Also, thinking back on the Ladies Who Lunch, Patti sits on a swivel chair for the entire song mostly facing audience right (I was audience left) and never gets up.

"EVERBODY SIT.....SIT....SIT....SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread  Dec 6 2021, 11:58:18 AM

Plannietink08 said: "nycward said: "Okay. I just returned from a Director's Guild screening of the film and I can go on for quite awhile about all that is quite simply perfect about this film. There wasn't a scene in this 2 1/2 hour film that wasn't stunningly crafted on all levels. Speilberg's musicianship in his direction is riveting and Kushner's screenplay ads gravitas and empathy to all of the characters. Justin Peck's choreography is pitch perfe

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread  Dec 6 2021, 12:15:21 AM

Okay.  I just returned from a Director's Guild screening of the film and I can go on for quite awhile about all that is quite simply perfect about this film. There wasn't a scene in this 2 1/2 hour film that wasn't stunningly crafted on all levels. Speilberg's musicianship in his direction is riveting and Kushner's screenplay ads gravitas and empathy to all of the characters. Justin Peck's choreography is pitch perfect and the cast is lovely. The great standout fo

Company Previews Thread  Dec 7 2021, 01:36:11 AM

Okay. So I'm gonna be the contrarian here which is a role I rarely play. I was there tonight and I have seen many productions of Company from the original with Dean Jones and Elaine Stritch, The Kennedy Center production with John Barrowman and Lynn Redgrave, John Doyle's take on it with Raul Esparza and The Philharmonic production with Neil Patrick Harris and Patti Lupone. I'm indeed a fan and found this interpretation of Bobbie to be genius and found the cast engaging. The probl

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You