News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for StylishCynic

Member Name: StylishCynic
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Marianne Elliot hopes to make a COMPANY film
 Sep 6 2024, 12:14:56 PM
Seems like this would be a no-brainer for Anne Hathaway to lead, non? She was allegedly supposed to open Broadway until she became aware of her pregnancy.

She's really balances out the best of Rosalie and Katrina, imo.

Recommended TV shows with lots of theater actors
 Aug 15 2024, 10:40:52 AM
Robert & Michelle King film their shows in NYC and love to slot in a Broadway actor into a guest role. The Good Wife, The Good Fight, EVIL, and Elsbeth all feature a ton of top tier Broadway talent.
OH, MARY! Previews
 Jun 26 2024, 01:55:07 PM
Should we expect any changes to the material –whether that's adding anything new or extending a certain moment?

Or will this largely be a cut and paste transfer?

Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
 May 20 2024, 11:34:03 PM

I only see HERE WE ARE on Broadway 75 years after the death of David Ives when a new composer writes additional songs for Act 2 and a proper finale.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Mean Girls

King Kong

Tarzan

Amélie

Tuck Everlasting

War Paint (maybe if two divas could d

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio
 May 17 2024, 11:33:19 PM

The Bishop’s Song, while delightful and brilliantly orchestrated, perplexes me. There’s almost no rhyme!

Have we ever had a Sondheim song with hardly any rhymes?

For someone who held brilliant rhyme scheme in lyricism to the highest regard, it’s so out of character that it has to be intentional.  

This is where I really grieve the revised Hat book that will never come.

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio
 May 17 2024, 05:15:52 PM

I've been listening since 11 PM last night, and I'm still digesting. There are a lot of delivery choices that changed for the album, and I'm just really accustomed to the slightly quicker, bigger performances from the stage.

I just now realized... they didn't include the monologues at the end, and now I'm completely gutted. Seems like such a huge miss to 1) capture each of these actors' incredible take on the material and 2) give listeners who didn't se

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 May 15 2024, 01:40:31 PM

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "Midnight Radio said: "I think it mostly looks good (sped down for sure, since it's only Act I.) One thing I am really not feeling so far is this toned down Morrible. I miss the powdered face and the grandeur"

I mean, it’s a Broadway show so that works there.

Morrible onstage reflects a Broadway acting for the back row sensibility.

Why not have Morrible in this feel more grounded?
"

Next Sondheim?
 May 4 2024, 11:59:49 AM

BJR said: "Jesse St. James said: "Sweaty Oracle is saying Anyone Can Whistle is about to be announced with Rachel Bay Jones, Nathan Lane, and Phillipa Soo. John Weidman doing book revisions. Jonathan Tunick Orchestrating. And apparently it’s going to broadway?

https://www.tiktok.com/@sweatyoracle/video/7364921703283133738?lang=en
"

Lane seems an odd choice... For the male love interest opposite Soo? Or can someone remind me, is the narrator role Angela played in the concert in the show, too?
"

My initial assumption is that Lane would be Comptroller Schub.  

The full production (the non-concert version available to license) has a very brief narration at the top of the show, but otherwise there is no narration or narrator.

What’s Your Favorite Song From the 23-24 Season
 Apr 27 2024, 10:34:17 PM

"Shine" - Here We Are

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
Here We Are
 Apr 17 2024, 03:40:56 PM

MrBroucek said: "jacobsnchz14 said: "StylishCynic said: "Did anyone attend the dress rehearsal last night?"

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
https://x.com/neilrklein/status/1707220551008239861?s=20

https://x.com/neilrklein/status/1707220552937599276?s=20

@neilrklein

Tonight I got to sit in on the last dress rehearsal of Here We Are (tech tables still out!!) one of the biggest honors of my life in NYC thus far. SO - Whatever you’re expecting, it’s not that - Rachel Bay Jones you are a REVELATION - It’s all for art, the rest is just noise <3

I won’t say more :) EXCEPT I hope the subtle reference to The Frogs was on purpose and just. Ahhh. Thank you Mr. Sondheim and everyone on this production. “We gotta be the luckiest people who ever lived” <333

I am happily revisiting this thread. What was The frogs reference? I think I missed it or it was cut!

Thanks
"

Perhaps it was the "Toasts", specifically the ones involving wine? 

I understand how that can be perceived as a wink to "Hymn to Dionysos".

Sondheim Estate Permissions Custom Stephen Sondheim Musical Tribute Revues (Music + Lyrics)
 Apr 11 2024, 04:31:18 PM

HogansHero said: "*"Permission" is not a verb."

I knew this when I titled the thread, and I still decided to use it. I found using "permission" as a verb to be both succinct and ideal for what I wanted the title to convey.

Many common words that we use today were simply made up by individuals like Shakespeare and Dr. Seuss. I'm not at all saying that I'm "on their level" because that's ridiculous

Sondheim Estate Permissions Custom Stephen Sondheim Musical Tribute Revues (Music + Lyrics)
 Apr 9 2024, 03:08:03 PM

fashionguru_23 said: "Unfortunately, the article is incorrect. Sondheim on Sondheim is available to license.As well as the off-Broadway and Broadway versions of "Putting It Together". Also, the lesser known revues "Marry Me a Little", using cut and trunk songs from 1981, written by Craig Lucas; and "You're Gonna Love Tomorrow", which was performed at the Whitney Museum in 1983 are availableto license. These are all in the MTI website.

I do

Apr 9 2024, 02:05:43 PM

A small theater in Evanston, IL is performing an entirely custom Stephen Sondheim musical revue (titled "Sondheim Tribute Revue" ).

In its review, the Chicago Tribune outlined how the Sondheim Estate is permissioning custom Sondheim tribute revues on an ad hoc basis right now:

"For a limited time, the Sondheim estate has been granting permission to theaters to create their own customizable revue of the late, great one’s incomparable catalog.

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 Mar 21 2024, 01:32:50 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "He’s very well known, yes. But it’s “a secret” for some reason."

Is there a reason why you can't just say who the actor is on an anonymous internet message board?

Candidly it always seems like a situation where someone wants to seem in the know while also not committing to a name that could prove them wrong when it finally is announced. In other words –having your cake and eating it, too.

Here We Are
 Jan 22 2024, 11:16:28 AM

The cast and creative team have started posting picture and video "dumps" on Instagram now that the production has wrapped. 

The final song is titled "Going Nowhere, As Always, With Brisk Determination (Finale)", which likely means that this is the song title of the recurring Road Sequences.

Here We Are
 Jan 21 2024, 02:57:44 PM

Outside of a rumored London premiere, I can definitely see regional productions at Steppenwolf or The Goodman in Chicago (although the former more likely due to their in-the-round theater) and Berkeley Rep being staged in the very near future. 

Here We Are
 Jan 2 2024, 03:18:18 PM

jacobsnchz14 said: "If anyone is catching the show over the next couple of weeks, would someone mind asking the merch people if they may sell out by the end of the run? I am going to closing and last time I went to a closing, most of the merch was sold out or selling out. And that was the Sunday in the Park revival… I know this is a different show, but so I thought about the former! Haha."

The website still has all merch available and offers free shipping on orders $50+. 

https://www.broadwaymerchandiseshop.com/collections/here-we-are

Here We Are
 Jan 2 2024, 12:10:38 PM

bear88 said: "Given the surreal nature of the source material, it is perhaps a fool's errand to ask too many questions about plot and character developments inHere We Are, and some things seem left to the audience's imagination or are open to interpretation. I couldn't figure out a way to address these queries without spoiling the plot. So here goes (under spoiler tags):

Here We Are
 Dec 26 2023, 03:02:31 PM

bear88 said: "StylishCynic said: "The current run is a first-class production with a tremendously talented cast and creative team and playing in New York City. Based on today's NYT reporting, it sounds like the Off-Broadway run will have lost its investors a little money by the end of the production. Reporting confirms that creative team is expressively disinterested in awards for this production.

A better sendoff for this production would be a filmed release

Here We Are
 Dec 26 2023, 12:48:58 PM

Broadway Flash said: "This needs to come to broadway at some point. i'm not giving up hope"

In all earnest, why?

The current run is a first-class production with a tremendously talented cast and creative team and playing in New York City. Based on today's NYT reporting, it sounds like the Off-Broadway run will have lost its investors a little money by the end of the production. Reporting confirms that creative team is expressively disinterested in awar

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You