News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TreyKenyon

TreyKenyon Profile Photo
Member Name: TreyKenyon
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2014-2015 Announced National Tours Seasons
 Mar 26 2014, 07:23:38 AM
I agree that a Book of Mormon return engagement is possible and would sell very well. Another possibility (may be a bit of a long shot) is Wicked coming back in Summer of 2015. It was just here in December but sold like CRAZY and lottery was also way more crowded than usual. At the last lotto, a Playhouse Square rep said "No worries. We WILL be getting it back soon". Right now the First National of Wicked is open after Feb. 2015.
shows that you think have the pontential to surpass phantom's longest running record?
 Aug 14 2011, 09:46:07 AM
While I 100% agree that these shows mentioned could run 25 years or more, I think surpassing Phantom may be an impossibility. Though its sales have slowed over it's quarter century run, Phantom still remains one of the hotter tickets on Broadway. We have to wait and see when/if Phantom closes before we can even speculate about any show surpassing it.
SMASH?
 Aug 3 2011, 08:22:15 PM
Can someone explain the negative attitude towards this show a solid 6 months before it even airs? I understand not wanting to set crazy high expectations but from all evidence thus far it seems like a show that is really gonna focus on Broadway and maybe bring in some interest for The Great White Way...Not to mention it is giving a good handful of theater regulars (Brian D'Arcy James, Christian Borle and Megan Hilty) a role on a network series...That alone has me hoping the show succeeds.
<

Megan Hilty
 Jun 22 2011, 01:38:59 PM
Though I wonder if the rock score is too much for her vocally, I would like to see her take a turn as Sherrie in Rock of Ages. I think she would nail the acting/comedy of the role.
I didn't realise how much $$$ tours grossed
 Jun 19 2011, 08:30:42 PM
I think the two biggest reasons for elevated grosses on tour are..

1.)As you alluded to, the larger (and in many cases, MUCH larger) houses found on the road. More seats = More $$$$$

2.)The elevated demand for touring shows coupled with little to no competition. I'm in Cleveland and people here want to see shows but can't get to New York. Thus, many will see any and all shows that come through Playhouse Square. Plus, when a show comes to town it is most often the ONLY show in

Mandy and Katie's contracts
 Dec 16 2010, 09:13:03 AM
It doesn't surprise me that Katie renewed seeing as she is notorious for long runs (nearly two full years on the 1NT). In regard to new Glindas, I seriously doubt Lindsay will ever see a promotion. If an understudy gets promoted it is normally rather fast and seeing as she has been with the production since early 2007 and hasn't been picked for any of the openings over the years, I doubt she will ever play the role full-time.
Mandy and Katie's contracts
 Dec 15 2010, 04:43:03 PM
Count me as one who will be thoroughly shocked if Teal lands on Broadway. I'm a fan of hers but her San Fran run was a mess. People keep referencing Caissie Levy; but she didn't return to the vocal slaughterhouse that is Wicked. She went to Hair, and while Sheila has some high stuff to sing, it is nowhere near as draining and damaging as Elphaba. However, similar to Caissie, Teal's voice is not meant to sing the role 8x a week. She's shown that not once, but twice.
Your favorite stage illusions
 Dec 12 2010, 09:15:33 PM
What I like about Defying Gravity is that it isn't as predictable/cliched as the whole wire/harness bit. Yeah, in Mary Poppins they do more stunts but the wires are totally obvious and IMO detract from the effect.
Lion King cutting songs - anyone know if legit?
 Jul 15 2010, 05:31:32 PM
Just to clarify, was the majority of the cast actually "fired"?? I don't think Equity would like this too much. Now if it is merely a matter of contracts not being renewed, that's fine but I think that's a little different than being fired.
Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
 Jul 14 2010, 11:04:42 AM
I think the best way to classify her fame is "recognition" and not much else. I'm fairly confident that if you showed someone a picture of her, they would probably say they know the face but couldn't tell you the name, let alone what she has done in her career.
Catch Me If You Can is looking like a hit!
 Jul 14 2010, 10:31:55 AM
I don't think he really hates In The Heights. He probably more or less thinks it has pretty much run its course. It had a nice run (not sure if it recouped or not...guessing it did), won some Tonys but is now resorting to what some may call stunt casting, with the hires of first Corbin Bleu and now, Jordin Sparks.
Why didn't they hire Bernadette in the first place?
 Jul 14 2010, 10:27:16 AM
As has been argued before, Bernadette, while fairly well known, would not have been able to bring in the business that CZJ did to really get this show up there in the grosses. With that, along with the significant draw of Angela, the producers knew they had a somewhat safe bet.

And even though Bernadette is proving to be an absolute revelation in this role, I still would bet that the numbers for her and Elaine's run will be lower than that of CZJ/Angela.

Catch Me If You Can is looking like a hit!
 Jul 14 2010, 07:31:52 AM
Damn, Mr. Riedel sure had his morning coffee and donut before he wrote that article. I mean he was bordering on sounding like a CMIYC fanboy lol. Still, great to actually get some interesting AND positive news from his article. And, how can you not like Marc Shaiman? That video had me cracking up...and thoroughly entertained. Things are most certainly looking up for this show IMO.
Jackie Burns to Join WICKED Tour as Elphaba July 8 in Houston
 Jul 13 2010, 07:09:08 PM
I think it really comes down to the discretion of the creative team/stage manager. If they feel a riff works, or at least doesn't detract too much from the score/story, they probably could care less. To elaborate on the Marcie example, she would riff up but it came out like "Meeeeee-HEEEEEEEEEEEE Down" with a strong emphasis on the "H" lol. Kind of distracting and if you hear it on YouTube... a little grating IMO.
 Jul 13 2010, 02:05:00 PM
I've heard the same thing about Julia and Defying Gravity. I don't remember where I read it but Marcie used to do a "riff" on the first "me down" in Defying Gravity and after a fan asked her why she stopped, she said the conductor told her not to. Similar story for Jenny.
 Jul 13 2010, 12:10:55 PM
In regard to the "who cares about riffing?" question, I think it's more likely the creative team that is concerned with it. They ultimately want the show to remain true to itself and wouldn't want an actress (Shoshana Bean, anyone?) to take away from the portrayal of the character in order to sound extra pretty.

Actually, come to think of it, Shoshana was kind of given a lot of wiggle room in that department. I have only heard of the "Conductor/producer/stage manager told me no to" line

The Lion King: why the move to the Minskoff?
 Jul 7 2010, 07:18:45 PM
I would think a contract stipulation from Mackintosh is the most likely situation. Transferring a show (especially one as large as Lion King) is a pretty pricey endeavor, so I highly doubt Disney and co. did it out of their own desire.
Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/4
 Jul 6 2010, 04:19:37 PM
Good for Next Fall closing strong. And in regard to Come Fly Away, am I the only one who feels like there was no build/publicity? I follow BWW pretty regularly and never heard of it. Incidentally, the only way I heard about the show was from Jackie Hoffman's blog lol
Jason Robert Brown Battles Music Copyrite Infringment
 Jul 1 2010, 11:30:46 AM
Not to prolong the conversation/debate lol, but there is also a clause in the Fair Use doctrine that allows for photocopying a limited amount of material. For instance, teachers are allowed to photocopy articles from magazines, excerpts from books, and pages from textbooks and then distribute such copies to students. i can't say for sure if it's a word/page limitation or a percentage of entire work..but it's definitely allowed in some way or another

Obviously, for a single song's sheet

Broadway Lyrics that Make No Earthly Sense
 Jun 23 2010, 06:08:24 PM
I guess "ghoul" can work lol but I just get an image of a goblin or a troll.

With all the great words to describe Desiree (vixen, jezebel, trollop etc.), "ghoul" just seems so random and out of place. That said, it's needed to make the rhyme with "fool"....still not a fan though haha

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You