News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for beingalive123

Member Name: beingalive123
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

From Broadway to Opera and back again..
 Jan 14 2013, 01:29:59 AM
I'm a freshman vocal performance major at Indiana University, and this thread makes me very happy. It's good to see new fans of opera and people understanding the thrills that it brings.

I think the big stereotype that opera gets slapped that it needs to get past is that it is a dead, irrelevant art that no one follows. The opposite is true. Opera, while it has its ups and downs, is still an art form that is doing quite well, albeit it is now at an interesting point in its existenc

re: The Official 'Bad High School Productions on YouTube' Megathread
 Sep 13 2011, 07:35:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK55gnB_gLU

I feel like this was so close to being good. High School production of les mis.

How'd You Get Into Theatre?
 Aug 14 2011, 03:21:26 PM
I had been singing since I was three, and my parents all the way through my childhood tried to get me involved in musicals. At the time, I had no interest, my focus was on sports. A cycle of my parents telling me about a show I could audition for and me refusing went on until I was twelve, when my parents finally forced me to audition for our middle school's production of Honk Jr. I was cast as the lead and the rest is history I suppose.
Porgy and Bess- Operatic, or otherwise?
 Aug 14 2011, 03:13:24 PM
I don't know if its as simple as not "pingeonholng" people to a certain genre, but I do agree that if they do have the appropriate technique to sing in a different genre of music, why stop them. With that said, I never want to see Raul Esparza sing Rodolfo or Marcelo Alvarez play Bobby.
generic what should i see thread
 Jun 2 2011, 08:38:51 AM
Hey everyone, I'm sorry I never thought I would be a person who would clog the boards with these posts, but I haven't been on in a long time.

So with that being said, I'm wondering what might be a "can't miss" show when I come into NY on the 10th and 11th. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
 Feb 6 2010, 07:35:45 PM
Though I would love to see Daniel Day-Lewis as Higgins I have a feeling that due to the absimal failure that was Nine, he'll be staying away from movie musicals for the rest of his career.

I believe Anne Hathaway could pull off Eliza. Yes, vocally it wouldn't be very strong, but I think she's the strongest actress of the people mentioned on this thread.

re: Theater etiquette gone forever?
 Jan 5 2010, 01:55:29 AM
What bothers me the most is people talking during the overture. I attended the tour of south pacific during its san francisco run. The overture to south pacific has always been one that truly thrills me and excites me like very few overtures can. And when it began, people continued to talk through the overture. I at first thought that the audience needed a minute to settle down, but this went on for the entire overture. I couldn't believe the lack of respect for the orchestra. It to this d
re: standing ovations
 Nov 7 2009, 02:34:06 AM
as an audience member
standing ovations
 Nov 7 2009, 02:08:01 AM
hey a quick question about standing ovations. I performed in my high schools production today and our director mentioned that it is polite, if half the audience is standing during a curtain call to stand. ive never heard that before, and i was wondering if there was truth to that?
re: Rihannon's First Performance as Elle
 Oct 9 2009, 02:45:44 AM
i was at the performance as well, and she seemed extremmelly nervous. granted she did very well for her first time though, but i do agree i wish her singing was stronger. and she really seemed super excited at the q&a, so im proud of her.

and broadwaymedley, what school do you go to? because i was there as well and im just curious

re: South Pacific for Live from Lincoln Center filming?
 Oct 5 2009, 02:10:12 AM
just to prove what michael bennet was saying about the tour's lack of ticket sales, i went to the sunday matinee of the tour a week ago and the balcony/mezannine was about 60% full. im not sure about the orchestra though. so its fairly clear that the idea of south pacific not being revived until now isn't hitting the out of town crowd as hard as it did the ny crowd
re: Favorite Company Quotes
 Sep 25 2009, 09:12:37 PM
joanne's line "i don't believe standing, bumping around making an ass out of oneself is a dance"

i don't know why i couldn't stop laughing when i heard this quote

re: Most overdone audition songs right now
 Sep 14 2009, 10:44:32 PM
Never sing:

Andrew Lloyd Webber
Wicked
Disney
Les Miserables (especially on my own)
Rent
Guys and Dolls

Try to avoid:

Corner of the Sky
A Chorus Line
Spring Awakening (you'd be surprised at how often its used)
Sound of Music (the actual show)
If I Loved You
I Could have Danced All Night
Some Enchanted Evening
there are other quite famous R & H that preferably should be stayed away from
The Impossible Dream
Kiss Me

re: May Be A Little Far In Advance But What Will Be A Hit This Season?
 Sep 8 2009, 01:25:27 AM
I'm going to be the minority here and say The Addams Family is going to flop. I think it'll be another 9 to 5 case. The show will be decent, not good enough to drive a ny crowd and the name won't attract nearly as many tourists as expected. although who knows, the star power of nathan lane could take them a long way.
Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
 Aug 29 2009, 07:15:31 PM
in the company revival during you could drive a person crazy when they sing, "knock knock, a zombie's in my arms"

the first two piano chords in I am the One Reprise.

IRVING BERLIN'S WHITE CHRISTMAS Returns To Broadway, Previews Begin At The Marquis Theatre 11/13
 Aug 25 2009, 11:40:29 PM
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/IRVING_BERLINS_WHITE_CHRISTMAS_Returns_To_Broadway_Previews_Begin_At_The_Marquis_Theatre_1113_20090824

this should be...interesting.

Hilarious Comments...
 Aug 21 2009, 02:46:10 AM
this isn't really a tourist comment, but after i went to wicked i told my friends i didn't like it very much, and i said for starters, the first thing i didn't like about it was its subpar score, my friend responded by saying, "are you kidding me, the score to wicked was amazing, it was almost as good as phantom". i was hurt a little inside.
re: Has 'teen theatre' really worked?
 Aug 21 2009, 02:41:12 AM
most teens are introduced to theatre with shows like wicked, spring awakening, rent, etc., and in my experience about 1 percent of them actually explore shows beyond wicked and rent. so yes i believe teen theatre has worked in introducing non-theatre goers to theatre, but the problem is most of them don't ever try to experience more challenging, complicated theatre. at my high school, i am known by my theatre friends as a pretentious theatre-goer because i dislike disney theatre and wicked. It
re: The Official 'Bad High School Productions on YouTube' Megathread
 Aug 17 2009, 02:10:27 AM
i love this thread, so i figured id bump it. here's a production of guys and dolls, in what should be the showstopping scene, sit down your rockin the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Kxd83_GR0#movie_player

the song starts at 4:18

Moments in Shows that Made You Cry When You First Saw It
 Aug 11 2009, 02:25:12 AM
Or at least evoked a deep emotional response.

I'd have to say in Next to Normal, during I am the One (reprise), when Dan and Gabriel sing, "I am the one who watched while you died" always makes me tear up.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You