pixeltracker

Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?

Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#0Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/21/05 at 11:53am

Hello there! I'm new here, so please bear with me. I recently checked out a video from my local library entitled "LES MISERABLES: STAGE BY STAGE" (198Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened? which was, more or less, about the making of the musical. At the end, producer Mackintosh (I hope I spelled that right) mentioned something about a movie version being in the works, set to be released in, I think he said, 1992. Obviously that never happened. Does anyone have any information why?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#1re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/21/05 at 12:23pm

Yeah, I have a U.S. tour souvenir program that says "In 1992, she will be coming to the cinema." I believe it's even as specific as naming Tri-Star Pictures, and identifying it as "an Alan Parker film."

Hmmm....

my2cents
#2re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/21/05 at 12:24pm

In one of my old playbills it says the move is coming in 1993. Ofcourse this is pre evita, and the last movie musicals were chorus line, and lil shop, (if you do not count school daze)so to see news on a movie musical was exciting, but atlas it never happened.

I have heard its back on the radar again.

colleen_lee
#3re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/21/05 at 12:28pm

Now that the movie musical has made a bit of a comeback, it could be coming out of hiding.

I think some of it will hinge on how well RENT does. POTO was a bit of a flop which would be very discouraging to a Les Mis film producer being that they have very similiar feels and audiences, but I think if RENT proves that movie musicals are still successful we could see the Les Mis movie re-emerge.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#4re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/21/05 at 12:31pm

There was a thread about this not too long ago.

Tri Star was unable to get it all together and they lost the rights to make the movie.

Since then, another Les Miz movie has come out and was not a money maker.

I'm sure the musical will be made one day.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.
Updated On: 10/21/05 at 12:31 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/21/05 at 1:14pm

Alan Parker turned it down at one point, too.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

roquat
#6re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/21/05 at 9:42pm

The movies of EVITA and PHANTOM were not really financial flops (especially with overseas and DVD sales), just somewhat disappointing. I'm not sure LES MIZ would work on film, though. All that misery in closeup for three hours? Plus, I think I would be tempted to start giggling during "A Little Fall of Rain"--even onstage I get that urge, I can't help myself, I want to shout, "The gunshot wound wasn't that serious, she just SUNG HERSELF TO DEATH!"

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

BSoBW2
#7re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/21/05 at 10:11pm

Well, the show on stage has been cut down to 2:45...and there are certainly other things that can be cut.

If it were made into a movie, there are some scenes that should be added - they don't even need words...

#8re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/22/05 at 10:52am

Recall the awful, I belive non-singing, version that was released a few years ago. I think that it made producers nervous to make another one.

Jon
#9re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/22/05 at 10:59am

My favorite movie that never happened:

In 1976, when the Harold Prince revival of CANDIDE was a hit, a movie version was announced, to star Elton John as Candide, Olivia Newton John as Cunegonde, and Peter Sellers as Voltaire/Pangloss.

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#10re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/22/05 at 11:00am

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/les%20miserables%20hits%20hollywood

They're probably going to give it another try.

As for the 1992 version, I didn't know there was supposed to be a film then. Interesting.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

PhantomMag234
#11re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 6:21pm

Appearentley they are in the planning process right now. Besides I think it's a great idea.
Updated On: 10/24/05 at 06:21 PM

LizzieCurry
#12re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 7:13pm

They've been in the planning process since like 1985.

jo
#13re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 7:37pm

In the early 90's, it was announced that West End ingenue Catherine Zeta Jones has been cast as Fantine for the movie version being planned then. She'd probably be more the right age now for the role.

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#14re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/24/05 at 7:44pm

Catherine Zeta Jones would be sooo great in that! I hope this goes through

Cheers,

C.

www.christopherviolett.com

LizzieCurry
#15re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/26/05 at 5:03am

Bumping this because I found on LJ a collection of links from UseNet regarding the LM movie.
http://www.livejournal.com/community/lesmiz/103911.html

Urban
#16re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/26/05 at 9:34am

I have read so many different 'visions' for a film version including one that wanted to 'minimize' the singing. What the frack? I mean what would make it then different from all the other bloody Les Mis movies out there?

roquat
#17re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/26/05 at 12:17pm

Exactly. There are at least ten movie and TV adaptations of this story--do we really need one that's even longer than most of them?

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

Grommetik Profile Photo
Grommetik
#18re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/26/05 at 12:43pm

Catherine Zeta Jones isn't emaciated enough to play Fantine. Considering the state of the Hollywood movie musical these days, they'll more than likely get someone like Linsday Lohan to play Eponine and Hillary Duff to play Cosette. They're emaciated though.
I personally think it's a **** idea. We'll get the same crowd of people who thought the Phantom of the Opera was a masterpiece and Emmy Rossum is like, oh my god, the best actress EVERRRR- squealing in cinemas whenever Marius (hmm, possibly played by Justin Timberlake?) comes onscreen. I don't want to sound elitist (or do i?) but it is called musical theatre for a reason. I'm not surprised it never got off the ground. Les Mis is so sacred to most people, actors or not, that directors will back away from it for fear of angering many musical lovers. I really think it's best left as is.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#19re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/26/05 at 3:32pm

Considering the Phantom film and Rent, which could have been a huge victim of this, didn't boast "teen sensation" stars, why would Les Miserables be any different? Hilary Duff and Lindsay Lohan are not the only female movie stars. I think you're overreacting just a little bit, Grommetik.
Updated On: 10/26/05 at 03:32 PM

LizzieCurry
#20re: Les Miz: The Movie -- what happened?
Posted: 10/28/05 at 4:11am

We'll get the same crowd of people who thought the Phantom of the Opera was a masterpiece and Emmy Rossum is like, oh my god, the best actress EVERRRR- squealing in cinemas whenever Marius (hmm, possibly played by Justin Timberlake?) comes onscreen.

Wow, come on, have a LITTLE faith, at least.