BROADWAY EARNINGS

londonbaby Profile Photo
londonbaby
#0BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:18am

how much does a broadway star earn a week? i heard that the stars of "the producers" are the highest earners in broadway, but that was quite a while ago, can anyone help?

both reached for the gun!

londonbaby Profile Photo
londonbaby
#1re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:18am

sorry i didnt mean to have the caps lock on

both reached for the gun!

MargoChanning
#2re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:42am

Equity minimum is $1422, which is generally what ensemble members make.

Seasoned veterans (especially Tony winners) in featured roles generally make a bit more than that ($2000 to 3000). That's also roughly what most principals with few previous credits and little name recognition make (though some like the Wicked leads can make in the $5000 to $7500 range).

From there, star salaries are based on the level of a person's fame, name recognition and ability to sell tickets. Most stars still make less than $10,000/week. I believe Bebe Neuwirth made roughly $25,000/week when she was in Chicago.

And there are a tiny tiny handful of stars who've made more than that. Those include Lane, Broderick, Glenn Close, Hugh Jackman and Bernadette Peters who have made $40,000+ per week and have even gotten profit participation (if the show grosses above a certain level, they receive a percentage of the profits). The rumor that Lane and Broderick made $100,000 a piece per week for their return engagement in The Producers is unconfirmed (though possibly true).

Then there are also people like Billy Crystal who made several hundreds of thousands per week with his show 700 Sundays. He was sole star and writer and also produced the show himself (with his wife). Running costs were minimal and the show grossed in excess of $1 million/week, so the profits for Crystal must have been outrageous.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 2/13/06 at 11:42 AM

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#3re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:45am

Conclusion: Write and star in your own one woman or one man show, but not until after everyone knows who you are

I will have to work on that one.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

Broadwayluva Profile Photo
Broadwayluva
#4re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:48am

oh, i thought an ensemble member makes about $1492 a week, oh well, maybe i heard it wrong

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#5re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:54am

It's not that much different from 1422.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

BwayStar Profile Photo
BwayStar
#6re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:38pm

That's true. It's approximately $70 more, which isn't really that much more. What does everyone else think?

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#7re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 1:23pm

What is so great about being in the ensamble is that you are signed on for the wole show, so you really have job security.

JRTO
#8re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 1:59pm

not sure what you are talking about. here in Canada at least, ensemble are signed to yearly contracts, just like everyone else. maybe it is different in NY?

also, job security in show biz? HA!

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#9re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:08pm

the figures are pre-tax right and weekly?

i know $1400 here in dallas would be very nice, but how does it figure with the cost of living in new york? is it enough for ensemble to live on or do they have to work other jobs while in a show?

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#10re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:19pm

We've had this discussion here many many times. There are hundreds of thousands of people in NYC who don't make that kind of money and they do just fine. I've lived here almost 20 years and have never made that salary. That's a decent paycheck anywhere.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 2/13/06 at 02:19 PM

PalaceRent06 Profile Photo
PalaceRent06
#11re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 6:52pm

do people in touring casts or off broadway make this much or more or less?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#12re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 2/13/06 at 10:43pm

and remember taxes, health insurance(Equity insurance sucks) Rent, and classes, if u are serious and GYM memberships if U are a guy and if an agent or manager got u the audition they get a cut. You gotta Love it to be in it and be lucky, out of town you can take Home $300 a week on a LORT or $400 on a Specail tour contract.

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#13re: BROADWAY EARNINGS
Posted: 8/14/06 at 3:41pm

I am bringing this thread back because i LOVE IT!