pixeltracker

In The Heights- kid appropriate?

In The Heights- kid appropriate?

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#1In The Heights- kid appropriate?
Posted: 3/23/08 at 9:50pm

I'm thinking about taking my father and seven year old brother with me- do you think that In The Heights has too much sex or sex references in it? I checked the website but they didn't have a FAQ, probably because it is too new. So, those who have seen it, what do you think?

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.
Updated On: 3/23/08 at 09:50 PM

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#2re: In The Heights- kid appropriate?
Posted: 3/23/08 at 9:53pm

You should be fine! The show is terrific. Have fun!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#2re: In The Heights- kid appropriate?
Posted: 3/23/08 at 9:55pm

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2008/03/21/theater/20080321_YOUNG_GRAPHIC.html

But in all seriousness, I'd definitely have taken my brother to it when he was 7. It's really not offensive or R- rated in any way. In fact, I'd give it a PG. It's incredibly inspirational and exciting, and I would've loved this show as a kid.

The only thing I can think of that might be construed as "too adult" for a 7 year old is a part when two characters enter the stage in "night wear" and you can tell that they've just slept together. But there is no lewd language about it, really. And that would probably just go right over a 7 year old's head.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#3re: In The Heights- kid appropriate?
Posted: 3/23/08 at 9:58pm

Great website-thanks you guys!

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

SarahNYC Profile Photo
SarahNYC
#4re: In The Heights- kid appropriate?
Posted: 3/23/08 at 10:25pm

I took my recently-turned-8 year old neighbor to the show.

SHE LOVED IT!!!!

There were only a few small plot nuances that went over her head, but we talked through it all during the intermission and went on to enjoy the 2nd act thoroughly.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#5re: In The Heights- kid appropriate?
Posted: 3/23/08 at 11:32pm

Honestly it should be fine.
I find with younger kids, anything that may not be appropriate for them they won't understand anyway. (for instance someone saying they're going to "score" may imply sexual relations, which isn't appropriate for a kid, but a kid won't know what that means, sort of thing)

The only thing is during a scene at the club there's a lot of grinding type dancing going on but really i think it will be fine.

Enjoy!

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#6re: In The Heights- kid appropriate?
Posted: 3/24/08 at 9:18am

I saw the final review, and there were at least a dozen kids there...including an infant (!!!! horrors). There is nothing in In the Heights to censor from your kids. The way it upheld love, community and family values, I recommend parents to bring their children...but no infants PLEASE!

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#7re: In The Heights- kid appropriate?
Posted: 3/24/08 at 9:28am

The show's pretty clean. With the exception of some grinding and a handful of sexual innuendoes, you should be fine.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Rentheadut Profile Photo
Rentheadut
#8re: In The Heights- kid appropriate?
Posted: 3/24/08 at 11:08am

I did notice a few swear words--some ****s and at least one ****. Saturday matinee there was a 6 year old sitting next to us in the mezz that would NOT STOP TALKING and asking his mother questions. The fustrating thing was that she was responding! It was infuriating and completely distracted from the first four songs until I was able to tune him out.

Introduce your kids to the theater, that's fine. But start with show a little more kid-friendly and teach them how to shut the hell up. That being said--if a 7 year old can be quiet I think they'd immensely enjoy In The Heights. It's very visually and vocally stunning.

"The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous." -Carrie Bradshaw

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#9re: In The Heights- kid appropriate?
Posted: 3/24/08 at 1:04pm

There are several f-bombs, if that's an issue, but I don't really recall anything else that would be worse than what would be acceptable in a prime-time network sitcom.