pixeltracker

THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3

THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3

Yankeefan007
#1THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 9:45pm

THE STORY OF MY LIFE, starring Will Chase and Malcolm Gets, will begin previews Feb. 3 in advance of a Feb. 19 opening at the Booth.

Richard Maltby, Jr. directs the musical with a score by Neil Bartram and book by Brian Hill.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/24/theater/24arts-INTHEWINGS_BRF.html?_r=1&ref=theater

AndAllThatJazz22
#2re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 9:46pm

I would love to see this show thrive, but right now is not the time. This economy is destroying these shows, especially the small ones like this. Very bad timing.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 9:48pm

The Booth is a pretty small theatre. It might succeed there.

What was the last musical to play the Booth?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

lstbutifulgrl2
#3re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 9:50pm

As excited as I am for this, I agree, I think the timing could be much better. I figure it will either run for a month, or it will run for 3 years.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

AndAllThatJazz22
#4re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 9:51pm

The last musical to play at the Booth was bea arthur on broadway back in 2002

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#5re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3

[tos] is out of the Booth.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#6re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3

According to IBDb, that was BEA ARTHUR ON BROADWAY in 2002. Before that was AN EVENING WITH JERRY HERMAN in 1998. Before that, and the last true musical to play there, was THE MOST HAPPY FELLA in 1992.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#7re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 9:52pm

Tricky question Foster. Bea Arthur on Broadway and An Evening with Jerry Herman were the last 2 "musically-inclined" tenants at The Booth. The last legit book musical was The Most Happy Fella in '92. Once on This Island was there in '90.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 10:14pm

Thanks for the info, all.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#9re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 10:16pm

Dame Edna didn't count? Don't forget the Edna-ettes. re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#10re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 10:18pm

I think the Booth is a great choice!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#11re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 10:19pm

OH MY GOD YES.

I don't know why, but I was so afraid that for some reason this wasn't going to happen. The official confirmation makes me really happy.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#12re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 10:21pm

Very excited to see this!!

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#13re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 10:26pm

Although I guess this dashes any hopes of an extension to "Dividing the Estate." Still, a welcome entry.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 10:39pm

Maybe there still is hope for a ROAD SHOW transfer.

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#15re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:01pm

Have these Producers not learned that, especially in today's time but overall, in the history of Broadway, opening a new contemporary show with a cast size that you could count on one hand's worth of fingers will ALMOST DEFINITELY not recoup... How is that a smart business decision.

Open it Off-Bway if you love it that much and hope it becomes the next I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change!

Not the next Glory Days or Title of Show!! THIS IS A BUSINESS, YOU WILL LOSE MONEY!!

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#16re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:29pm

True, but STORY OF MY LIFE is an intimate 2-character musical so the weekly nut will be very low, and with so many big shows running, this might provide a welcome respite. It will all hinge on the reviews but even if it doesn't recoup the loss will be far smaller than YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN's.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#17re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:40pm

True frontrowcentre2, I did consider that but even if it is bringing in 200,000 a week (more than title of show ever did, up until the closing week). With renting the theatre, salaries for actors (including the understudy), sm's, crew, ushers, concession, and other expenses, it will be hard to make a profit, but we'll see.

All I know is that if I was a Producer, (and I am in business and plan on getting into producing a little later in life) I'm sorry but I wouldn't put my time/money into a Broadway production in today's Broadway

Mildred Plotka
#18re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:42pm

Perhaps some producers produce because they want an audience, no matter how big, to see a moving, finely crafted show?

They can always write their losses off.

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#19re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:49pm

Mildred-True and a good point... Producers want to create ART! I agree

But couldn't you get an audince to see a moving, finely crafted OFF-BROADWAY show? One that will more likely last longer and have a better chance of making you money (which is the point of your job)?

RentBoy86
#20re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:56pm

Oh i can't wait to see this!

Mildred Plotka
#21re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/24/08 at 12:00am

I think the exposure of being on Broadway, no matter how poorly your show sells, always looks better when pitching the show to regional productions. Looks at Caroline, or Change. Critical hit, financial failure, but a huge success regionally.

And I don't think the failure of title of show can be used to judge every "small musical" on Broadway. title of show, as much as I adore it, was built for a niche audience.

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#22re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/24/08 at 12:05am

I did also use Glory Days which was a bigger flop than [title of show] and let me remind you of the successes of Tick Tick Boom, Songs for a New World, Last 5 Years. History shows us that small shows are more likely to succeed Off-Broadway and in an economic recession, why take the gamble? A gamble with low historic odds.
Updated On: 11/24/08 at 12:05 AM

Wanna Be A Foster
#23re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/24/08 at 12:12am

Commercial Off-Broadway is dead.

If you want your show to make an impact and have the potential of a healthy run and build a fanbase in 2009, you go to Broadway.

I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE ran as long as it did because its title sold tickets. The show was garbage.

-Kad

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#24re: THE STORY OF MY LIFE previews at the Booth Feb. 3
Posted: 11/24/08 at 12:29am

As is Commercial small Broadway shows (though it never has been alive).

Title of Show gained its popularity Off-Broadway and from its youtube vids not from its broadway run.

And what about Altar Boyz and My First Time (both by the same producer) AB running for almost 4 years and MFT running for over a year... Think of the money brought in from regional production of AB, Tick Tick Boom, L5Y, Songs...World. I don't think Commercial Off-Broadway is dead. I think a successful musical with a small cast and small production has always been a difficult thing to sell and Off-Broadway is still the way to go!

Glory Days could still be open today if it was Off-Bway!?!?

Updated On: 11/24/08 at 12:29 AM