Best JCS

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#0Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:07am

Curious about everyone's favorite JCS cast/production...

this should be interesting!

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.
Updated On: 9/28/04 at 12:07 AM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#1re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:25am

the 1996 London Cast Recording and the 1992 Australian recording are the best out there. Both movies were not that great.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 9/28/04 at 12:25 AM

leomaxfrank
#2re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:21am

It's a shame the Broadway/London revival with Glenn Carter and Jerome Pradon/Tony Vincent was a mess.

Emily Skinner played Mary Magdalene in a production with Billy Porter as Jesus at the Helen Hayes in Nyack, NY. I don't think you wanna know what I would give to be able to see that!!

Updated On: 9/28/04 at 01:21 AM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#3re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:26am

It was a good direction in which they were going, but the singers (minus a few) and the clothing and choreography just stunk. I mean, Jesus was a WHIMP on the new one and Judas was a whiner. I was ready to throw my dvd player out the window just to shut him up....lol.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

leomaxfrank
#4re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:29am

i'm assuming you don't mean - by direction - blocking or any sort of musical staging. it's truly a shame, how painful it is to watch.. and yes the costumes were completely ridiculous.

talk about having fun with a dream cast of JCS, i could brainstorm for hours!

Updated On: 9/28/04 at 01:29 AM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#5re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:40am

In "direction" I meant trying to update the story to today instead of the 1970's as the previous incarnations of the show. Dream cast? Hmmmmmm I would mix from different recordings and add a few in that were never part of the show

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#6re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:46am

Jesus--Steve Balsamo
Judas--Jon Stevens
Mary--Soshana Bean
King Herod--Alice Cooper (he rocked)
Pilot--Anthony Warlow
Simon--Tony Vincent
Peter--Brian D'Arcy James

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#7re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 2:50am

Judas - Carl Anderson.

Totally. Even in his late 50s for the tour last year, he was just amazing.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

leomaxfrank
#8re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 10:08am

interesting cast spider. especially judas and jesus. i know of balsamo and knew he played the role in london, but i am completely unaware of his ability. dont know stevens at all, i dont think. shoshana bean as mary - mmm the thought of that was wonderful. i also love brian d'arcy in everything he does.

leomaxfrank
#9re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 10:19am

i saw Anderson on tour 2 years ago and thought he was amazing, though a little old, he still ran his ass everywhere. Sebastian Bach was an eye and earsore. i can hardly recall a more contrived and ridiculous acting performance...

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#10re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 2:01pm

The Lyceum continues to be my favorite - overall, and I've heard over 100 different Superstar recordings.

Jesus - TED NEELEY (No one is better than this man);
if I had to choose someone else - MICHAEL CAVANAUGH

Judas - RAUL ESPARZA

Mary - SHOSHANA BEAN or NATALIE TORO

Pilate - ANTHONY WARLOW

Caiaphas - BOB BINGHAM

Annas - MARK PRICE

King Herod - HARVEY FIERSTEIN

Simon - BILLY PORTER

Peter - TONY VINCENT

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#11re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 2:03pm

Ted Neeley had his high notes punched in during 'Gethsemane.'

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#12re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 2:05pm

Whether you meant that has a good thing or a bad thing...
he's still by far the best actor and singer to play the part.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#13re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 2:26pm

Honestly, Ted was fine but I've seen strong regional and community players who were as good as him (and who actually hit their high notes.)

By far the best?? Maybe by far your favorite ...

leomaxfrank
#14re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 2:35pm

Good cast kids! I'm not a huge Raul fan like others, but I'm sure he'd be fine.

I know this is a bit non-traditional but has anyone heard Billy Porter sing Jesus? All I can say is "holy s***". Everyone knows he can sing, but if you could only see and hear him act it. Brilliant!

Yeah I think there could be better Jesus' than Neeley - good actor for sure.

B.B. Wolf
#15re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 2:40pm

Spider, have you heard Warlow sing Gethsemane? It's the way that song should be sung! I have a bootleg of it. Oh crap. Did I just admit to having a bootleg on the board! AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGH!!!! I've been shot!!

Word. Word, indeed.

WestEndBird Profile Photo
WestEndBird
#16re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 3:57pm

Ted Neely, Carl Anderson....always...forever!! such a sad loss...such a great talent.

"Even if I could let you see me cry you would never understand what I was feeling inside, you see it and use it but dont believe in it..."

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#17re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 4:08pm

I found Warlow's GETHSEMANE to be pretty lackluster.

Good, but not one of the top 10 best.

Updated On: 9/28/04 at 04:08 PM

Guido Contini Profile Photo
Guido Contini
#18re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 4:35pm

my favorite JCS IS the Carter/Pradon recording...I love it. Sorry. *bows head in shame*

"Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." CLAYTON HAMILTON, "Theory of the Theatre" "I think theater ought to be theatrical ... you know, shuffling the pack in different ways so that it's -- there's always some kind of ambush involved in the experience. You're being ambushed by an unexpected word, or by an elephant falling out of the cupboard, whatever it is." TOM STOPPARD

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#19re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 4:39pm

The Broadway Revival, the reason I don't like the London revival CD is because Tony Vincent's Judas tap danced on Pradon's Judas' face. Vincent was the best Judas I've ever heard.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#20re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 4:44pm

Carter has his moments, notably in "Hosanna", "What's The Buzz?", some of "The Last Supper", SOME of "Gethsemane",and the Crucifixion. Otherwise, he just doesn't have the chops to pull of the part.

I find Pradon very annoying, for the most part. His voice is just kind of unbearable to listen to. The beginning of his 'Heaven On Their Minds' is gorgeous, the rest of his perfomance ranges from average-below average. His acting is good, but they could have found someone MUCH better to do the acting and singing.

The Mary cries her way through all of her songs. Pilate is good at times, but at other times, is just so ridiculous you can't help but laugh at how much he's over-reacting.

Tony Vincent as a great voice as Simon, but his portrayal is kind of like 'look how hot I am while I'm singing'.

Caiaphas has the low notes, but can't control any of the other notes. Annas is one-dimensional, but his voice is pretty good.

Everyone else is pretty pathetic, IMO.

Updated On: 9/28/04 at 04:44 PM

broadwayguy2
#21re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 4:46pm

I saw the revival on broadway -- at the show I caught, I was lucky enouygh to catch Max Von Essen as Jesus, Shayna Steele as Mary, and Tony Vincent as Judas.

Max and Shayna danced RINGS around Glenn and Maya!

Vince Rimoldi understudied Simon on the tour -- i LOVE the boy!

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#22re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 6:28pm

Is it true that Alice Cooper was not actullay in the show? I heard he was just on the cd as like a publicity stunt. I'm glad they did it cause hes awsome as Herod.

leomaxfrank
#23re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 6:59pm

lucky you to see Shayna as Mary - she's wonderful!

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#24re: Best JCS
Posted: 9/28/04 at 7:25pm

I saw Natalie Toro on tour. Holy mother of love, that woman is amazing. I wish I had her on record. Renee Castle makes me cringe. Her voice is too soft for Mary. Shoshana Bean would be amazing. Very similar to Natalie.

Videos