Sweet Overtures

feinstein9 Profile Photo
feinstein9
#0Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 4:44am

with all this talk about finalle's and openings, i was wondering what your favourite overtures were?
mine:

-carousel (in a catagory all it's own)
-merrily we roll along
-full monty

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 7:20am

Mack & Mabel
Gypsy
Any Jule Styne Overture
Any Jerry Herman Overture

Poster Emeritus

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#2re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 8:17am

Candide
Bells Are Ringing
Camelot
My Fair Lady
NINE

Adding
A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
Updated On: 10/10/04 at 08:17 AM

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#3re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 8:24am

Camelot here. Just love it!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

Yankeefan007
#4re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 8:46am

jo
#5re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 8:50am

Many from the older musicals --

Camelot
My Fair Lady
South Pacific
King and I
Carousel
King and I
Man of La Mancha
Hello, Dolly

and a few others.

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#6re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:05am

Hi feinstenin9 :),

Yes, THE CAROUSEL WALTZ is MORE than just an overture. It is a prologue to CAROUSEL that sets up story, characters, mood and tone WITHOUT A SINGLE WORD OF DIALOGUE!

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#7re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:10am

Hey Mr. Roxy, :)

Jule Styne Overtures--Yes!

His overtures ALWAYS set the tone as to what to expect in the show that followed:

FUNNY GIRL - "Snippets of "People" heard throughout

GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES - Bouncy, rythmetic pseudo-1920s music

BELLS ARE RINGING - how many Overtures do you that know that starts of with a PHONE RINGING?

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#8re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:10am

The Carousel Waltz/Overture in the Hytner version is so amazing the audience cannot help but be spellbound for the rest of the musical. It is genius.

#9re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:12am

As a fairly strong romantic classicist, I tend toward anything the Frederick Loewe wrote - especially My Fair Lady. But I also have a very soft spot in my heart for The King and I - which is still the most beautiful score for my taste.

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#10re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:12am

Hi Glebb, :)

You may be aware of this, but the overture to CANDIDE is performed quite often as a separate piece by many classical orchestras.

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#11re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:15am

Hello Mom... :)

Yes. The Overture to CAMELOT is so majestic, builds to a wonderful climax and includes bits of outstanding "If Ever I Would Leave You."

Sets up tone PERFECTLY for first scene.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#12re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:16am

Yeppers, I know that. That overture along with "Oh Happy We" and "Make Our Garden Grow" are things that I sometimes play over and over on my iPod.

Did you know that I do all my shopping there (Kleins) with Mary and Ethel?

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#13re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:21am

Hi Jo... :)

I agree. The MAN OF LA MANCHA Overture announces that you are about to see a VERY intense musical with a foreign setting (snippets of foreign-sounding music heard throughout.) It rises and falls many times to indicate the numerous "up and down" plot changes to come. And its rousing climax? MAGNICENT!!!

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#14re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:23am

Hi Glebb, :)

I agree. THE CAROUSEL WALTZ is genius.

I often wonder how the idea for opening CAROUSEL in that manner was determined.

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#15re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:29am

Hello DGrant, :)

We've already discussed MY FAIR LADY overture, so let's chat about THE KING AND I.

VERY majestic--sets tone perfectly and finds room to include snippets of all of the many score's popular tunes.

The conflict to follow (by Anna & The King) can be heard. Uses "Asian" music to identify locale. Ultimately, it announces that the show to follow will be WORTHY of your attention.

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#16re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:34am

OK Glebb... :)

Chorus Member: "Things With Good Lines!"

Judy: "Like Things from Kleins?"

etc.

Glebb, I think we need to start a BELLS ARE RINGING thread! re: Sweet Overtures

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#17re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:36am

I think I need to listen to my OBC recording of BELLS ARE RINGING right now!

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#18re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:37am

My favorite Overture is THE MOST HAPPY FELLA (1956).

In just a few brief moments, it tells us we're about to see a story about a man who loves his wife and his willingness to accept her however she is.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#19re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:44am

Thoroughly Modern Millie
Urinetown
42nd Street
The Producers
Gypsy
Phantom of the Opera
Chicago
Wonderful Town

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#20re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:51am

Great Idea Glebb! :)

Just don't get confused and play that lousy Faith Prince revival. re: Sweet Overtures

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#21re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 9:55am

Hi Millie... :)

As I have posted earlier, I love WONDERFUL TOWN and the overture is DYNAMITE!

It is so rhytmic and pulsating--it takes energy just to listen to it! You can almost HEAR the sounds of 1930s New York as you listen to the "big band" selections! The climatic finish leads perfectly into opening number, "Christopher Street."

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#22re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:04am

NEVAH!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#23re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:06am

Mary_Ethel: I don't particularly care for Wonderful Town's music as a whole with the exception of a few songs, but the overture is excellent! I love that old-fashioned sound, as in Millie and 42nd Street.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#24re: Sweet Overtures
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:19am

Two choices for me, both because they have layers and layers of detail in the orchestrations:

Take Me Along - it's a Phil Lang masterpiece. The writing is so full and rhapsodic. The title song weaves through the entire Overture and then finally explodes at the end.

No No Nanette - The whole thing is perfection, with some of the finest orchestrations (Ralph Burns) and dance arrangements (Luther Henderson) of any show. But the Overture contains one of my favorite pieces of writing...a fantasia on "Tea for Two" where the two pianos are doing these exilirating runs up and down the keyboard. Wild stuff.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"