Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#0Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:17pm

Will this man be playing Pirelli?

I saw this in Rob's blog. First found on FoxNews.com (This is the LAST time I will EVER go to that website)
Sacha Baron Cohen MAY be in talks to be playing Pirelli in the film version of 'Sweeney Todd'

FoxNews article (scroll down to very bottom): https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,219622,00.html

Rob's blog: https://www.broadwayworld.com/pulse

So what do you guys think?

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
Updated On: 10/11/06 at 03:17 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:18pm

I feel stupid saying I think I'll feel weird seeing Pirelli played by a man, but... I kind of will.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#2re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:20pm

How will you feel when SWEENEY TODD actually has sets and costumes?

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#3re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:20pm

That would make me happy.

Yankeefan007
#4re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:22pm

Good casting. Maybe he can do an innaine interview with Sweeney.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#5re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:23pm

I think he's a great choice--he's one of my faves.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#6re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:24pm

STUPID DOUBLE POST!!!

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
Updated On: 10/11/06 at 03:24 PM

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#7re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:24pm

I have never seen him do anything besides Ali G (and I only saw that once for only a few minutes). Has anyone seen him in other performances, how do you feel about his acting, and MOST IMPORTANTLY Can he sing? (or will Pirelli's song be cut for the movie)

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#8re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:25pm

That scene is dialogue in the script I read. Who knows what Burton will do with it though.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#9re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:47pm

how do you feel about his acting

Let's see...he's playing a guy who makes a living by pretending to be an over-the-top foreigner. I think it's right up his alley, no pun intended. re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli? Keep in mind that he has other characters besides Ali G, including Borat and the uber-gay Bruno.

As for singing? I don't know, but Ali G did have that awful rap.

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#10re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:50pm

I hope Paul Rebuens is Toby.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#11re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:51pm

How will you feel when SWEENEY TODD actually has sets and costumes?

I guess we'll see, won't we? re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli? I'm definitely looking forward to and curious about looking at it in a completely new way. I own the original DVD, but I haven't watched it yet. It'll be diffrent from what I'm used to, but I'm open. :)

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Wildcard
#12re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:36pm

I think it will be excellent casting if he was cast as Pirelli. He has already convicingly pulled off characters of French/Austrian/Kazakhstani origin. I don't doubt he will pull of an Italian/Irish accent as Pirelli.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#13re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 4:57pm

How will you feel when Sweeney Todd has sets, costumes... and over half the score missing?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Mattbrain
#14re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 5:07pm

How will you feel when Sweeney Todd has sets, costumes... and over half the score missing?

And where will you stand when the flood comes?

Sorry, Parade fans, I couldn't resist.

Sascha looks the part but I hope he can sing.

I will be seeing Borat however.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 10/11/06 at 05:07 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 5:10pm

The original Pirelli (Joaquin Romaguera) was thin. So was the touring company Pirelli (seen in the video with Lansbury and Hearn).

...Ain't preconceptions funny?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#16re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 11:53pm

feel stupid saying I think I'll feel weird seeing Pirelli played by a man, but... I kind of will.

- You should really open the DVD of the original production with Lansbury. To see the show as originally and brilliantly created by Hal Prince. With amazing sets, and costumes. And Pirelli as a man! Plus Lansbury and Hearn are superb.

No one can top Hal with Sweeney. It would be like saying the 2001 FOLLIES revival topped the original production. 2005 SWEENEY couldn't really touch the original.
Updated On: 10/11/06 at 11:53 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#17re: Ali G as Sweeney Film's Pirelli?
Posted: 10/11/06 at 11:56pm

At least he will be played by a man. Whenever Pirelli was "onstage" during the most recent revival, it was distracting as hell - a completely ridiculous device with no purpose.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Videos