pixeltracker

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four- Page 110

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2725The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:06am

Raul is singing Being Alive tonight, for anyone else who is going.

As I'm sure you can all assume, I am having a hard time functioning today. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

A work of art is an invitation to love.

wonkit
#2726The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:13am

Emcee - any idea what Lansbury is singing? (So - if Raul is singing Being Alive, I assume Sutton Foster will sing Anyone Can Whistle, Zeta-Jones will sing Send in the Clowns, etc.)

luvtheEmcee
#2727The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:19am

No idea. That's all I know. I think it would be a little silly for people to sing things from stuff they were JUST in or are currently in. But since it's been a long time since Company and because Doyle directed it, I wouldn't assume that means anything about other song choices.

Updated On: 4/26/10 at 11:19 AM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#2728The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/26/10 at 2:33pm

If they're going for the obvious choice, probably Worst Pies in London.

Sadly Stephan Sondheim did not write Beauty and the Beast, because that would be my first choice for her. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#2729The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/26/10 at 2:51pm

I read somewhere (maybe the Anyone Can Whistle playbill) that Doyle is having a lot of "Actor sings song from a role he originated, then hands it off to Actor who played the role in the revival".

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

luvtheEmcee
#2730The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/26/10 at 3:00pm

That would be sweet, but does the cast really include that many of those pairs?

wonkit
#2731The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/26/10 at 3:25pm

Hooray - Emcee has brought back her Bobby avatar for the occasion!

OMG if the reported approach leads to Lansbury and Cariou handing "Little Priest" off to Lupone and Cerveris! (Is Lupone scheduled to appear? I really ought to do my homework before posting...)

luvtheEmcee
#2732The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/26/10 at 4:51pm

Patti was, but she isn't anymore. Michael will be there, thought.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#2733The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/26/10 at 6:36pm

Raul Esparza can spread his love for me anytime, anywhere, anyplace.

wonkit
#2734The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:40pm

In the ultimate irony, my two assumed song/singer pairs (Sutton Foster/Anyone Can Whistle and CZJ/ Send in the Clowns) came true tonight! And Raul was amazing, singing Being Alive with the Tunick orchestrations. It gave me chills when John Doyle said that COMPANY opened forty years ago tonight, and then Raul got to sing.

luvtheEmcee
#2735The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:56pm

I have not cried that hard at a performance probably since Company closed. Actually, once since Company closed -- the last time I saw Rent. But needless to say, rarity.

Happy birthday, Bobby!

CZJ is so gorgeous, I can't take it. She was good tonight! But I am in the camp that liked her in Night Music, too.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#2736The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/27/10 at 12:25am

I liked his Being Alive better tonight than in the production. Was it the better orchestrations? Was he more reserved? What do you think?

luvtheEmcee
#2737The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/27/10 at 1:27am

Hmm. That's interesting. It's honestly kind of hard for me to say because I loved him so much in production. But maybe it was having the full orchestra? Maybe that way what he was doing didn't feel... exaggerated? That's not really the right word that I'm looking for, but not quite as in-your-face, I suppose. I think he was definitely a little more reserved, simply because it was out of context and so it's different because there isn't all of that emotional buildup. Also, maybe the bigger house, too?

Updated On: 4/27/10 at 01:27 AM

wonkit
#2738The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/27/10 at 9:15am

I thought that John Doyle and Mia Farrow were both very good at giving the line readings at the beginning, which helped give the song "some" context (as compared with the total absence of the friends' comments during the Tony awards performance - that made me uncomfortable). I think that not having the emotional buildup beforehand gave him the chance to start on a more subdued level. It made him seem more vulnerable, which made it very touching.

luvtheEmcee
#2739The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/27/10 at 9:35am

Every time I have seen him perform it with Doyle out of context, he has included the spoken lines. I think it's really necessary, and I love when Doyle does them himself, as a huge fan of that particular vision, I think it's really special. With the Tony Awards performance, I believe it had to do with meeting the time constraints, and not being able to use the other performers, unfortunately. Bobby always seemed very vulnerable to me WITH the emotional buildup and the context, because you see this character live his life and then come to this enormous breakthrough, so I have to disagree there. But my God, I was a mess either way!

Updated On: 6/4/10 at 09:35 AM

Chrysanthemum62001
#2740The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/28/10 at 1:07am

I LOVE that Bryan Fuller was at the Sondheim Gala!

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

luvtheEmcee
#2741The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/28/10 at 10:12am

He was also at the Promises, Promises opening, along with a lot of other Pushing Daisies people. I didn't get to meet him, but I DID get to meet Lee Pace, and oh. my GOD, my friend and I were squealing like schoolgirls in a corner afterward. He is even better-looking in person, and absolutely lovely to talk to.

Chrysanthemum62001
#2743The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/28/10 at 4:24pm

Love it! Oh, Lee Pace...he needs to be back in a NY play yesterday.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2744The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/28/10 at 4:47pm

Raul attended the opening of "Enron" last night, and was looking especially dapper and dashing.

The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

Here talking to Jason Danieley

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

luvtheEmcee
#2745The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/28/10 at 7:26pm

wonkit
#2746The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/28/10 at 9:35pm

Love the black suit, and the great tie. I swear, in some pictures he and Norbert look like brothers!

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2747The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/29/10 at 11:44am

Somebody on Twitter spotted Raul on the subway:

OMG, Broadway star Raul Esparza standing in front of me looking sexy playing an iPhone game on the 1 train!

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

wonkit
#2748The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/29/10 at 3:06pm

Damn, that's one hot picture!!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#2749The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/29/10 at 4:06pm

I think it's a little creepy and invasive. I must be missing the gawker gene. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited when I see celebrities in real life too, but I really hate the whole paparazzi institution in Hollywood and it bothers me that now Broadway fans are attempting the same. Taking pictures and posting them on the internet is crossing the line, IMO.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

luvtheEmcee
#2750The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 4/29/10 at 4:39pm

I have to agree. I think that while it has its advantages, Twitter is making daily life creepy. It's made privacy more of a commodity, and kind of given permission for that paparazzi effect to become even more commonplace than it already was. I'm particularly noticing that in the theater community. I think this kind of thing is something I would feel uncomfortable doing no matter what, but I can't understand why you would do it when the person is like a foot away from you and clearly close enough to notice. With stuff like BwaySpotted, calling a few friends to tell them who you saw on the subway, or even a polite, "Hi, I love your work," has been replaced with telling the whole world where someone is and what they're doing. I guess you could argue that that's part of being in the public eye, but I don't think you can argue that things like Twitter haven't changed it. I tend to be pretty conservative about this kind of thing, and I know that, but it makes me a little uncomfortable.

Updated On: 4/29/10 at 04:39 PM

Videos