pixeltracker

Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show- Page 2

Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show

FindingNamo
#25Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:31pm

It was more of a question for those who are.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#26Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:41pm

Have to agree with Namo that these jokes are on a par with Joan Rivers's jokes in tone and irreverence.

Why a different standard for Noah?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#27Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:46pm

I'm so not surprised that you feel that way.

....but the world goes 'round

FindingNamo
#28Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:52pm

Nobody should be, but it's not really a gotchya question. I intend it as a question question?

I don't think Trevor Noad is funny, particularly.

henrikegerman
#29Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 2:08pm

I'm not a fan of Lampanelli's. I was a fan of Rivers's.

I don't find these tweets of Noah's particularly funny (but they are no more or less offensive than typical Joan Rivers's jokes).

But I do think he's exceptionally funny in standup.

Noah at the Apollo - London Updated On: 3/31/15 at 02:08 PM

javero Profile Photo
javero
#30Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 8:49pm

"Yeah, or they figured his own background gave him a pass? I dunno."

I was thinking the same thing. He has a very interesting personal narrative in the context of marriage equality. I'll admit that I've given him a free pass in the past for some of the arguably crass remarks he's made due largely to his background. Why...because I attributed the mishaps to an attempt on his part at self-deprecating humor. Trevor is still somewhat young and perhaps doesn't fully comprehend the potency of his words as a force for good or evil.

Honestly, I'm not yet confident that the fusion of his background, mastery of multiple languages, and dry wit all of which make him a media darling abroad will translate well on The Daily Show in the wake of Jon Stewart.

I've not seen him on the Daily Show but am familiar with his stand-up act in other settings. Hopefully, as he becomes even more Americanized he'll recalibrate his spiel for easier consumption in the US which is a euphemism for both "dumb it down" and "don't piss off the victimized group du jour".

@henrikegerman That Apollo performance is a standout. I must have watched it 20x by now.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#31Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 9:25pm

Dumb it down? Uhhh... have you read his jokes on Twitter? The biggest issue to me isn't that the jokes are un-PC, but that they're stupefyingly dumb, low brown bombs.

The Problem Isn’t That Trevor Noah Is Offensive. The Problem Is That He’s a Giant Dope.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#32Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 9:45pm

omg...do people still read tweetsTrevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show

The last time I logged onto twitter was nearly a year ago to unfollow Kimye. I'm down w/ social media, as long as it's not random 150-word ephemera.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#33Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 9:52pm

Ugh. Next you're going to proudly tell us that you "don't own a television" and prefer meditation and local organic community gardening.

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#34Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 9:53pm

I'm Jewish and I don't have much of a problem with it. I am tired of all the PC bull. I've said worse and I sometimes feel that people who are not racist and not bigoted should be given the freedom to poke fun at others. Someone who is a Jew can joke about another Jew, a black about another black, etc. Why should that be if it is humor and it is not meant to be mean?

People should be allowed to find out what is inside the heart of Noah before turning on him. It doesn't take very long. Comedians like Don Rickles could get away with anything because everyone knew there was no malice intended. I think Noah should have the opportunity to be himself.

FindingNamo
#35Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 9:55pm

And so people who are half black and half Swedish can make jokes about feeling bad for hitting a Jewish kid (was her wearing a yarmulke?) in German car why? Because it's funny?

Updated On: 3/31/15 at 09:55 PM

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#36Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:05pm

dented, my issue is not really around the offensiveness of the jokes, though many of them are crass and tasteless - especially some true caveman misogyny. It's that they're so middling and obvious. They read like the tweets of a Mad TV or Tosh 2.0 writer, not someone who's taking over for Stewart. They're so ****ing low brow. Does Louis CK make what many could rightly call "offensive" jokes? Sure, but they're almost always sharp and smart. This guy's stuff is so Spring Break in Cancun, bro'ish.

But, I'm not ready to dismiss him outright, either. These tweets are three or four years old and they are a minority of this tweets. The question is whether they are truly representative of his taste and ability or whether his comedic sensibilities have evolved. Perhaps Twitter isn't the best medium to test out early material. I'm sure that even great comedians had some stinkers in there early on.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#37Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:12pm

Perhaps if they are half black, half Swiss and a quarter Jewish on the mom's side. I've always been intrigued by the way Trevor introduces identity politics into this brand of stand-up comedy. The first time I watched one of his televised shows, I was slightly uncomfortable out of concern for the more sensitized audience members.

Also, the fact that he was born into South Africa's apartheid system as the offspring of a black mom and white dad whose marriage was illegal is something that I still can't wrap my brain around. That's like Jim Crow on steroids and the reason why Charlize Theron and he are two of the most intriguing beings in the celebrisphere today.

Updated On: 3/31/15 at 10:12 PM

FindingNamo
#38Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:14pm

Of COURSE you've always been intrigued by that and, gosh DOES ANYBODY STILL USE TWITTER?

I'm glad he's getting crap for it. Maybe he'll learn something.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#39Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:18pm

And I'll work on self-editing in the meantime. I haven't quite figured out the perfection thing myself yet. That's why one or two posters on here are truly inspirational...NOT.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#40Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:44pm

I interviewed him and he was nice. I am jewish and curvey and he was really not like that. Yeesh.

FindingNamo
#41Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:46pm

It's settled then!

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#42Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:48pm

Yikes. Curves and Jewish two strikes for me. ;-(

FindingNamo
#43Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:49pm

I'm confused. Are you saying what he said isn't a problem because you interviewed him and he didn't say anything mean about "fat chicks" and "Jews" or are you saying it's a frowny face with a tear?

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#44Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:57pm

Very surprised. He was very nice to me. You never know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRvmHAXNlaM

FindingNamo
#45Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 10:58pm

It's true, you just never do. But now we do.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#46Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 11:29pm

Thanks for sharing @Corine2. That was a very insightful interview. Super job!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#47Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show

Half of him is predisposed to like a bigger figure, especially booty.

henrikegerman
#48Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show

Not that it really matters, but he's half Swiss, not half Swedish.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#49Trevor Noah is the new host of The Daily Show
Posted: 3/31/15 at 11:31pm

Thanks @henrikegerman. I corrected my post.

Videos